Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Black Water Tank Treatments
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Water Tank Treatments

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jbrack

california

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious as to how long it takes for the drop-in holding tank treatment pods take to work? Does it do any good to drop one in if you will be dumping your tank within a few days? Do those things act that quickly or are they meant for longer periods of time between tank dumps? Just wondering if I'm wasting money on these things.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Waste Tanks are 'holding' tanks not septic systems
The 'stuff' will break down just as quickly/as effectively using WATER as it will using 'chemicals'
Chemicals mast odors......BUT if you have noticeable odors inside the RV then one of the 'barriers' is not working
Water in toilet bowl..vapor barrier
Water in 'P' traps....vapor barrier
Air Admittance Valves...mechanical barrier
Toilet floor flange ...mechanical barrier
Waste Tank Vents .....mechanical relief

Dump waste tanks when 3/4 or more full...weight/volume causes the WHOOSH affect
Add few gallons of water back into waste tanks after dumping so bottom of tanks stay wet
Use water.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found by experience that using black tank treatments is a waste of money, especially if you move your camper opposed to sitting long-term on a season site.

If your camper is on a seasonal site, then yes. I think the treatments help cut down on odor. But I have found that just flushing the tank keeps odors at bay just was well.

If your camper is in "transit" (not seasonal), then probably one of the best ways, in my opinion, to keep it clean is to dump everything before hitting the road. Then add about 5 gallons of water and about a half a cup of Dawn Dishwashing liquid. The bouncing on the road and splashing of the water in the tank will clean the tank and keep it from smelling. Do this every time you move the camper from home to campsite, to campsite, to home, and you'll never have smelly tanks.

Other folks use different kinds of dishwashing liquid, laundry soaps, floor cleaners (like Spik n Span or Mr. Clean products) and even some bleach. Be careful if using bleach, you want to flush your tank after bouncing down the road real good. Bleach is not the best for your dump slide valves and over time can cause deterioration. I use bleach very seldom in the tanks, as Dawn does a great job deodorizing and cleaning.

I will use the black tank treatments over the winter months when the camper sits idle, with RV antifreeze in the black tank. This is about the only time I use it.

Holding tanks are not septic tanks. They only hold the contents. If you experience a poop pyramid, filling the tank with water and Rid-x and letting it sit for a month will help dissolve the pyramid and break it down. But as a treatment between dumps, every few days ... nah... you're tossing your money ... literally ... down the toilet.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always use the premeasured thetford tank treatments in our black tanks. We have two tanks so always use 2. The chemical is fast acting and diferent than the ones made for septic tanks as it will breakdown the solids quickly. We always dump when 3/4's full. In the 20+ years we've RV'd we have never had a tank issue like many of our friends who do not use them. Some will tell you that the chemical is just a deodorizer. They are so misinformed.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Act" isn't the right word. The pills mostly help with smell. No, I'm not "misinformed."

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WATER !!

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy Campers. works for us. tried the Geo Method which did not work well. to each their own.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all various odor blocks noted above work properly all the time, and nothing ever goes wrong when dumping tanks, and you never, ever make mistakes when dumping tanks and never spill even one drop of waster water on the ground ever....Then, yes, in that 'perfect' world/utopia, black tank chemicals are not needed.

However, I don't live in that 'utopia' where nothing ever goes wrong, haha. The world I live in, things occasionally do go wrong. Vents get clogged, water in P traps evaporates enough to allow some odor into the RV, hoses or hose fittings wear out and may leak a drop or two before I can correct the issue. THAT, is why I use black tank chemicals (Odorlos). They minimize the smell, when (not if) something goes wrong or doesn't go exactly as planned.

Your neighbors will appreciate you taking such precaution, too, when something goes less than perfect and allows some of your holding tank odors to escape (like maybe when a sewer hose has a slight leak, isn't attached securely to a fitting, etc.)

I don't think its as much about assisting with break-down of solids, cause as already said, that happens at the same rate regardless of chemicals. Its more about minimizing the odors for the times when something doesn't go exactly as planned.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black tank treatments are only good for one thing: turning your money into someone else's money.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the yrs I have found that simply flushing as fast as possible (open/close the blade quickly and only long enough to wash down the bowl) and making sure the bathroom exhaust fan is turned off works just as good if not better than dumping chemicals into the black tank.

Typically when done quickly the odor doesn't have much time to rise out of the tank..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Water Tank Treatments
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.