Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bad taste/smell to fresh water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bad taste/smell to fresh water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides any of the above, some people are abnormally sensitive to the vinyl water hoses are made from. Perhaps when you got a new hose it's because of that? Valterra makes a "taste free" hose that may help.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flush that sucker with a quart of bleach in 100 gallons. Ride down along rough road and drain fill drain. And always use a great filter, not just a good filter and certified drinking water hose, the little aluminized label is what to look for. Also if you use white translucent cheap water hose and let it lay in the sun between faucet and coach it will grow algae and other things and the inside will turn brown with it and...it will make it's way into your tank unless you have a good filter.
The Culligan fresh water chlorine add some to your tank if sitting for a few days, according to label reccomendtions not household bleach or pool chlorine.
Better still is to pay the 30.00 or so for the saantizing kit it won't leave you water tasting like clorox for a few/several days after sanitizing.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

I agree with the bleaching, but be aware that the bleach . . . will or can harm the sewer valve rubber gasket rings.

Nope. Unless your RV was built in the 1990's with polybutylene (PB) plumbing, bleach will not harm those "gaskets" (or "seals") because they're made of beach-resistant Santoprene -- not natural rubber.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memilanuk wrote:

We'd discussed adding a small amount of chlorine (bleach) to the tank to try and clean things a bit . . .

Instead of adding 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gal water (as previously mentioned), use 1/2 cup of bleach per 15 gal. Then let it sit for an hour and flush with water.

Make sure the bleach/water solution gets into all your RV's plumbing and the water heater.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We add a cup or two of bleach at the beginning of each season then Purge all the lines including the water heater. It usually takes 3 or 4 flushes but then we know everything is clean and don't have to think about it again. I'd start there too.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memilanuk wrote:

Recently started noticing a nasty taste/smell to our fresh water system. Initially I attributed it to the DW using a 'new' garden hose.......

The water *still* tastes/smells kinda funky. I have somewhat of a hard time thinking that using that one hose, one time, would have contaminated the *entire* system that badly.

I don't have a hard time believing that. I recently bought a new garden hose. It has been used a dozen times or so to wash the car, water the lawn, etc. The water coming out of the hose still stinks with a chemical odor. After sitting for a while the first few gallons come out really, really stinky and actually sudsy.

Even when you use a hose designed for drinking water, you should run a few gallons before filling your RV water tank.

In addition it is important to sanitize your water system. That means 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of water and at least a soak of 1 hour or more. Sanitizing should be done at least at the start of every season. I also sanitize if the RV has not been used for several weeks. In some camping areas, the water is clean but not chlorinated. If you fill your tank with non-chlorinated water, consider more frequent sanitizing.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drain the water tank at the end of trips and use bleach as a disinfectant, but I don't drink out of the water tank. I bring well water from home for drinking.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have you got an in line water filter in there somewhere. mine got all funked up and the water got real funky.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of y'all are getting a little carried away with the bleach. Don't overdo it unless you want to wait longer/flush more water through. 1/4cup of 5-6% household bleach per 15-20gal is sufficient.

The key is time. Get a good solution in the tank and run through all the lines and let it sit a day. Then empty, flush once or twice and you'll be good to go.

This is predicated on the OPs tank needing sanitized. His post made it sound like the water taste was not from old/stale water but either way sanitizing it can't hurt

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have had still water go bad while storing, started draining the water heater after each trip. Also went to the hardware store and bought a fitting that replaces the water heater drain on one end and has a garden hose fitting on the other. Hook up to hose and open the pressure relief valve. When you turn the water on you are back flushing the tank, fill till it comes out the pressure relief. Disconnect everything, re drain, and replace the original plug. Your good for the next trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bad taste/smell to fresh water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS