cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cairo IL bridges

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone been across the US 60 & 62 bridges at Cairo IL? On Google maps, they look really narrow, especially the Mississippi River bridge. Is the alternate route on I 57 and then back to I 24 and Paducah that much longer? Lost a mirror on a narrow bridge and a little gun shy now.
9 REPLIES 9

caver
Nomad
Nomad
If you go that route don't go all the way to Cairo. Several miles north on 37 near America is Mounds Road. It's a quick short direct route to I57.

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Charles, we will be heading west. The route you gave was the one I was considering. A stop for a photo with Superman in Metropolis is planned. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I crossed both of those bridges (in a car) several years ago. They are 10 ft lanes. I was following a semi that had a trailer that wasn't tracking straight. Trailer wheels were scrubbing the curb and the tractor wheels were nearly on the white line. I *think* they have finally banned trucks on those two bridges.

i try to find different ways to cross the Big Muddy just to say I did.

You didn't say which way you are headed or what type of vehicle. Heading East,If you cross on I-57 get off at Cairo Junction, exit 1 and go a block or so over to OLD US 51 (AKA Ohio River Scenic Byway or S Vienna Rd), now Illinois 37 and follow it until you turn right on Illinois 169 and follow it till you turn right on US 45 and continue to Metropolis. This is a scenic and enjoyable ride and is good road all the way. Stop in Metropolis at the courthouse and say Hi to Superman.

Be aware that many of the river crossings on the Mississippi and the Missouri are still closed, including the new bridge at Cape Girardeau.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Very narrow. I had to scuff the curb with the right tires to clear a semi coming the other way. I would just go around the next time.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I've crossed the Mississippi bridge at Cairo with a truck camper pulling an 18.5' bass boat. It is narrow but if you slow down and pay attention to on-coming traffic it isn't too bad. Just watch your mirrors on both sides.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
They are, especially the one over the Mississippi, narrow. All was fine till I saw a semi coming the other way. Mirrors were just a few inches apart as we passed. Did it once, NEVER again! The trip thru Cairo is much more relaxing.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

caver
Nomad
Nomad
yeah it's narrow and the trip through Cairo is a bit longer.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I drive it with an otr semi

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
melandme wrote:
Anyone been across the US 60 & 62 bridges at Cairo IL? On Google maps, they look really narrow, especially the Mississippi River bridge. Is the alternate route on I 57 and then back to I 24 and Paducah that much longer? Lost a mirror on a narrow bridge and a little gun shy now.

Moving some machines thru there a few years back. My permit took me across on 60-62 boss's permit took him around. My load was 10 ft, boss was 12. Yes it was tight at 10, for you should be a piece of chicken..