cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
When in a park and plugged into electric, do most keep the hot water heater 'on' or switch the electric on when it's time to shower? Realizing of course that the frequency will vary dramatically camper to camper. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z
20 REPLIES 20

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
if plugged in the WH is on 24/7.

But of course and if without, then gas for 5 mins or so, before needed.
Once hot, ours stays that way, for a good long time.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We keep it on 24/7, and except when driving down the road, it is on 365 days a year for the past 9 years.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
if plugged in the WH is on 24/7.

Same here
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I leave it off.

Once you have experienced the thermostat malfunction, which they often do, and you come back to your RV and the whole wall of the RV is burning hot?

You won't leave it on either. :B

NONSENSE. Suburban and Atwood do not have a "common" tstat failure rate. There are THOUSANDS of fulltimers that leave their Water Heater on 120 24/7. They never have a bad problem. Doug

lol. I'll give you the number for the rv mobile repair guy that fixed mine and you can ask him how many he has repaired.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
I leave it off.

Once you have experienced the thermostat malfunction, which they often do, and you come back to your RV and the whole wall of the RV is burning hot?

NONSENSE. Suburban and Atwood do not have a "common" tstat failure rate. There are THOUSANDS of fulltimers that leave their Water Heater on 120 24/7. They never have a bad problem. Doug

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I leave it off.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a LP water heater I always had the electric element on. I now have Aqua Heat and only occasionally turn on the electric element.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Do you turn your water heater on and off at home?
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK, Lets say you leave it OFF UNTIL you need Hot Water. Well the Heat up time is dramatically LONGER to heat the 6 or 10 gallons of water than on LP. So, If you have an HOUR before you need heat then leave it off and then turn it on when you need heat. As others have mentioned, the Water heater on both LP and 120 does NOT stay on all the time. The Tstat will shut it off when it reaches temp and then come back on as the water cools. Doug

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
On when plugged in to electric...never even turn on the propane switch unless quick recovery needed between showers. Our electric on/off switch is on the heater itself, so itโ€™s easy to set and forget. I did learn (almost the hard way) that I need to remember to turn it off before draining the water heater if Iโ€™m plugged in (usually at home after a trip prepping for storage)
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I generally do not use propane to run the water heater.

If you leave it on, and draw no water, the unit will cycle on for about 15 minutes every four hours, once the water is hot (mine is a 10 gallon US).

So, if I'm plugged in at a friends home, I'll turn the water heater on first thing in the morning. By the time I've finished breakfast there is ample warm water to do the dishes. Then I have a shower. Then the heater is turned off. That leaves enough water to do the dishes at lunch and supper as well as for hand washing.

At a campground where power is included in the lot rental, I'm a bit lazy and just leave the heater on.

Because I want full wattage from electric heating devices, I find myself using an autoformer a lot.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
In my TT even when plugged in I leave it off unless needed. I think it's probably because I mostly boondock and the sight of an illuminated switch being left on bothers me.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If on 50 amp we always use electric and leave it on. And do not use propane unless the weather (and incoming water) is cold. Then we run both electric and propane for faster recovery rate.

If on 30 amp we use propane and not electric to reduce chance of tripping the 30 amp breaker.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
If we have 50 amps available, on. If less on as needed.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley