cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lion Safari UT - new tech battery, not cheap

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone sprung $799 to 999 for that battery. Seems to be making inroads into the RV market. A few reviews are popping online.

Lithium-Ion Phosphate, lifetime warranty. 100 AH, 20 lbs. Group 24 size.

I'm sure price will eventually come down.

Just curious.
20 REPLIES 20

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
This spring at the local RV show they were selling them on special for $750.00. I do not believe a "drop-in" solution is ready yet. With that said I did buy a A 12 volt lifepo4 (8 50AH prismatic cells with interconnects from them on eBay. This company is about 25 miles from me.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The yellow top NEVER lived up to its claims

The yellow top is not the blue top nor the red top

The yellow top was the costliest and made ridiculous claims about how cyclable it was. Sailors had me running in Mexico from sailboat to sailboat. The issue was about capacity loss after six months of ownership.

If you think even the best AGM battery has a capacity loss after sub-par charging minimum amperage and incomplete recharge.

The Optima is king of the world. By far.

A daily driver yellow top is like hiring Charles Atlas to haul groceries. It had BETTER last as long as your battery has. The world's champion failure was a Delco Voyager. Half of them on the Costo shelves already had RED eyes

David .... huuuuh? I'm wondering if I'm dense today regarding what you're saying?

My Group 31 12V Yellow Top Optima of the Gylling Group in Scandinavia, made in Aurora Colorado, 1100 CCA, 90 AH C/20, 192 minutes reserve capacity - that sailors or anyone else could no longer buy a few months after it's release - is lasting a LONG LONG time regardless of any claims.

Maybe I was an extreme early bird who got an extremely good worm?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The yellow top NEVER lived up to its claims

The yellow top is not the blue top nor the red top

The yellow top was the costliest and made ridiculous claims about how cyclable it was. Sailors had me running in Mexico from sailboat to sailboat. The issue was about capacity loss after six months of ownership.

If you think even the best AGM battery has a capacity loss after sub-par charging minimum amperage and incomplete recharge.

The Optima is king of the world. By far.

A daily driver yellow top is like hiring Charles Atlas to haul groceries. It had BETTER last as long as your battery has. The world's champion failure was a Delco Voyager. Half of them on the Costo shelves already had RED eyes

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
AFAIC a great heads up for brand new technology products. It needs consumer proofing to learn it's quirks. The Optima battery is a perfect example. When released upon the public 99% of Optima claims went up in smoke. I would recommend patience then look for a thousand five star reviews. I call this THE OXY-CLEAN REALITY. BS claims adjustment. Like STP, the JC Penny battery, miracle teflon coatings.

David ... I have one example of Optima living fully up to it's "claims":

My 12-14 year old Optima Group 31 large Yellow Top AGM battery that I purchased early in it's release (soon pulled off the market because the U.S. military purchased exclusive rights) still holds it's charge month after month in the trunk of our daily driver sedan.

I carry it in the trunk of our car kept fully charged up so I don't have to call ERS for a jump start if ever needed. A self-jump-start is way quicker and less hassle. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
But it has a cool lion's head logo on it. That has to make it better.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
AFAIC a great heads up for brand new technology products. It needs consumer proofing to learn it's quirks. The Optima battery is a perfect example. When released upon the public 99% of Optima claims went up in smoke. I would recommend patience then look for a thousand five star reviews. I call this THE OXY-CLEAN REALITY. BS claims adjustment. Like STP, the JC Penny battery, miracle teflon coatings.

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, never thought I would start another China bashing session...

Ray from Love Your RV (a pretty respected YouTuber) is doing a review of that new battery, yes it will require a different charger. I was simply curious to know if anyone had looked at those... At 20 lbs for 100AH, Group 24 form factor, if it sold for around $400-500 it could start to grab some market share.

Here is the link to their web site
https://lionenergy.com/collections/portable-power/products/lion-safari-ut

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also ... Group 24 is too small. Where's their Group 29 and Group 31 offerings??

BTW, isn't a Lifetime Warranty more for the younger crowd?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I would probably buy a Battle Born if I had that much money. Better reputation and it has a built in battery management system.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Anything I buy may have a lifetime warranty. I just don't want to fix the thing.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturer recommends no more than an 80% discharge? If so, Iโ€™d need two and thereโ€™s the rub.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
It's easy to get ion and iron confused.

Bingo! Amazing the difference a single "r" can make.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Sigh another phosphate battery... where are the manganese batteries already!?

Just another Battleborn / Relion nock off? No link and I'm too lazy to googel.

edit: I did a google for lion safari and this was the result, don't see any mention of batteries:

https://lionsafari.com/

Ah, but if you just add 'battery' to that search you get Lion Safari UT - Lifetime Battery.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
miatared wrote:
I'm sure price will eventually come down.
Depends on how much 'eventually' you have left. At this point in life it's best to have more money than eventually.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman