Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Apollo 11: The Complete Descent !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Apollo 11: The Complete Descent !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A detailed account of every second of the Apollo 11 descent and landing. The video combines data from the onboard computer for altitude and pitch angle, 16mm film that was shot throughout the descent at 6 frames per second, and audio recording from the air/ground transmissions and the mission control flight director loop with subtitles. This is part of the Apollo Flight Journal, Apollo 11 collection.

video link

Amazing ! I watched it live on CBS News in the afternoon then at night when they walked on the moon.
Quote:

CBS Television coverage of the July 20, 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing, anchored by legendary newscaster Walter Cronkite.

video link

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't believe it was 50 years ago. I was on a trip from the UK to see the launch from the Cape. I should dig out the schedule and see where we were on each day. We left Cardiff on July 10th for NYC, and had some time in Houston & New Orleans before the launch.
We were supposed to spend the night before the launch at the Cape Kennedy Hilton, but right at the last minute POTUS Nixon and his crew commandeered the entire hotel and we had just a few hours sleep in Orlando before driving across overnight. We could see the lights on the Saturn V and 39a lit up almost as soon as we left Orlando.
I was with a few guys that had to take the bus with all the luggage, and the driver offered to stop at a corner store at 3am to buy beer. Couldn't do that in Wales!

Everyone has an accent, Yes, even you! ">

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a salesman at Harrison Gulley Chevrolet in Augusta Georgia because I purchased a new SS396 Malibu from them when I was stationed at Fort Gordon in the Summer of 1968 and moved there from NJ in the spring of 1969.July 20 1969 was a Sunday and I watched it on TV from Aiken SC in the afternoon and Augusta GA that night.
APOLLO 11 Official Trailer

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.1 Van wrote:

I was a salesman at Harrison Gulley Chevrolet in Augusta Georgia because I purchased a new SS396 Malibu from them when I was stationed at Fort Gordon in the Summer of 1968 and moved there from NJ in the spring of 1969.July 20 1969 was a Sunday and I watched it on TV from Aiken SC in the afternoon and Augusta GA that night.
APOLLO 11 Official Trailer

I saw this APOLLO 11 (2019) documentary back in January at one of it's first screenings. Also had the opportunity to talk with director Todd Miller after a post Q&A. The footage is stunning, unlike anything I've ever seen. It covers launch day to return to earth. Events as they happened, no narration per se. Except some simple animations to show trajectory to the moon and back. My favorite line actually from Buzz Aldrin as he climbed down the lunar lander stairs, letting Neil Armstrong know he made sure the door wasn't locked.

[image]
Principle APOLLO 11 (2019) doc team. Director Todd Miller fielding questions at the post-screening Q&A.

This project literally landed on Todd's lap. Not the one he was planning to work on. NASA mentioned to him that they had this Apollo 11 70MM archival film footage, but no way to transfer to digital as no 65mm (negative) scanners existed anymore. Todd literally had to have a custom scanner designed, to transfer film to digital in a resolution ideally suited for IMAX format. This is the way to experience it.

A special 47-minute version of 'APOLLO 11: First Steps Edition' in IMAX 2D is screening now at both Smithsonian Air & Space Museums in DC/VA as part of the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11. I've only seen the 35MM digital full version, but definitely planning to see it in IMAX. If you're planning on being in the DC area in the next couple of weeks, I'd highly recommend to check out the events planned for the 50th anniversary.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neil Armstrong 2011 interview
He said the moon surface was about 212F in the sun !

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neil Armstrong: 'One of the greatest American heroes of all time'
[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 07/16/19 07:32pm by an administrator/moderator *

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Fifty years ago today, Apollo 11 began its voyage into American history. The Saturn V rocket carrying astronauts Neil Armstrong, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin and Michael Collins launched from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 9:32 a.m. on July 16, 1969 — and just four days later, man first set foot on the moon. The moon mission was a milestone in human history. But it was also a groundbreaking moment in broadcast television, as CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite brought the frontier of space to living rooms across America. Watch live:

CBS News Special Coverage, live stream Apollo 11 Moon Launch 50th Anniversary

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apollo-11-moon-launch-memorable-moments-cbs-news-coverage-50-years-ago-today-2019-07-16-live-stream/

* This post was edited 07/16/19 08:52am by 8.1 Van *

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Beginning tonight through Thursday @9:30PM, a 17 minute 363-foot Saturn V rocket launch simulation will be projected on the Washington Monument. It can be viewed from the National Mall. And it is loud!

[image]

Crews were setting up the screens for a week, though I had no idea what it was? Thought it was some kind of stage? But somewhat unusual as they were using stacked cargo containers. Never seen anything like it before. Though did listen in on the sound check yesterday. Let's just say the bass was shaking my smartphone. [emoticon]

If you're in Washington, DC this week, it's something you're not likely to see again? Though it's also uncomfortably hot and humid, feeling like 105-110 degrees.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

3000x2000 pixel image

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was just a Saturn V projection for the last three days. Though the gathered crowed was expecting a launch simulation, which what had been previously announced? [emoticon]

Not sure if it will happen over the weekend? But did see it tonight @9:30PM with hundreds of other, somewhat, disappointed onlookers. Though still spectacular in its own right.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Apollo 11: The Complete Descent !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS