Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Spare Tire Rack Failure - Third trip out with new RV.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Spare Tire Rack Failure - Third trip out with new RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I believe he is talking about this type of spare tire carrier and not the typical bumper mounted one.

You are correct. My spare tire bracket is welded to the cargo tray and does not mount to the bumper. The bracket itself is welded to a rectangular steel tube that is one of the support members for the mesh of the tray. While the tube will support the tray cargo, the metal is too thin for the weld for the tire rack and mine tore loose from the tubing.

If you go to the page you referenced in your link and scroll through several pictures, there is a closeup view of the spare tire and how it's mounted on the cargo rack. This is the same setup as the one I had that failed.

Bill J., Lexington, KY

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

The spare is mounted on the cargo rack and is under the rack when the rack is lowered. My son has the same setup on his Pioneer. I’m going to tell him he’s got one more thing to keep an eye on.

I had just traveled down I-840 to bypass Nashville. The roadbed has settled just before the bridge abutments and there are also a few construction areas making for a really rough transition between the bridge deck and the roadway surface. This definitely contributed to the failure of the rack. I didn't notice anything odd about the spare during the previous two walk-arounds that day but I also wasn't specifically inspecting the welds on the tire rack so I don't know if this was cumulative damage or just due to the rough condition of the I-840 bridges. This was only the third trip out with a brand-new RV so it's rather disappointing to have had the spare tire mount tear loose. It was due to metal failure of the tubing to which the rack was welded, not the weld itself.

I'm going to install a BAL 28217 spare tire carrier underneath the travel trailer and will not be attempting to repair the original spare tire rack.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that was a close call. Good on you for making that inspection walk after every stop, may it prove a waste of time forever after this. As the kind of lucky guy who'd have been coming up behind you just getting ready to swing left and pass, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving somebody's life today.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed that setup on some Forest River products when we were shopping and didn't like that spare mount. My concern was dragging the spare on step approaches.

[image]

The Keystone I bought has a similar cargo rack but the spare is under the trailer with the Bal mount.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be curious how many often that happens. I never have had an issue but I know others have.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clickies for the OP’s pics.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t........172c327caf03ae2d3c53c735058a&oe=5DC1B2D1

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t........6042b4db8230fad41f03d8bfaf2c&oe=5DBEDB4F

Modit

Central VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a `19 Grey Wolf from Forest River with the same setup. I didn't like the tire under the tray when dropped. I was considering moving the tire, now I guess more so.

bigorange

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. I have same setup on my Cherokee 235b...one more thing to keep an eye on. I too don't really like the design due to clearance of the tire when the cargo shelf is down, but will be watching the bracket now too.

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a terrible design for mounting the spare.and knowing how good their welding is I can see how that failed. A better design would’ve been to put the bolt/rod through the tubing.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Looks like a terrible design for mounting the spare.and knowing how good their welding is I can see how that failed. A better design would’ve been to put the bolt/rod through the tubing.

Yet another fine example of the top notch design and high quality fabrication of a Lippert component. I'd turn that in under the frame warranty. LCI will probably say your fault due to overloading [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Spare Tire Rack Failure - Third trip out with new RV.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.