Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tow vehicle miss match
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tow vehicle miss match

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
snowpeke

Nevada City California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While on the road I allways looking for miss matched tow vehicle and trailer. Today I saw one that was hard to believe! ( wish I had gotten a photo) This was a BMW sedan pulling a 23 to 25 foot travel trailer with ass end sagging way down. Wow! What have any of you guys seen?

2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A WD setup properly might have leveled said situation up, made it more sensible looking!

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple years ago at a rest area, we saw a family with an older fullsize van pulling an even older trailer, perhaps 18-20' max. No WD hitch. Man, did they sag in the middle!

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] I saw a car towing about a 20' travel trailer using a receiver made for a bicycle rack. I believe those are 1 1/4"s with an adapter to 2" receiver and a ball. According to the license plates this vehicle and trailer made it about 3/4s the way across the country. [emoticon]

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this at Wal-Mart a few years ago. Turns out they checked in to the campground where I was hosting an hour or so after I took this picture. They had traveled 250 miles in this condition and no clue prior to that.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Lwiddis

Near Cambria, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If towing in a “V” wasn’t so unsafe...Duh...it would be funny. Edatlanta, did this guy shift cargo to the rear of the TT? Might have helped.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just yesterday I say a Honda Odyssey pulling about a 21 foot trailer. The trailer was severely nose down and the Honda was riding pretty low as well.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen a few scary things, but the most frightening one of all wasn't towing. It was a station wagon with one of those basket things hanging off the hitch. Judging by the windows of the wagon, the back was packed really full, as was the car-top carrier, as well as the rear basket. So much so, in fact, that the car was clearly hunkered down on the rear suspension, and the front wheels were close to floating. The driver missed his turn, and was using the highway crossover to turn around. The basket scraped a bit on the downside of a very gentle hump in the middle of the crossover, and it looked like the front wheels got a little air at one point.

The vehicle clearly had a trailer hitch. I have no idea what the driver was thinking not renting a cargo trailer from U-Haul and putting that weight where it belonged, in the trailer. I hope he got wherever he was going without killing anybody.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a similarly loaded Volvo wagon last summer, it didn't look like it had any suspension travel left. The scariest one was a lifted CJ-7 pulling an old construction camp trailer, he struggled to hang onto it at anything approaching highway speed. Waddya mean a weight distribution hitch? What's that?

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At a busy campground we stayed in two weeks ago, we noticed quite a few TV/TT combos using just a tri-ball or drop ball mount with no WD checking in. Several various half ton pickups towing long TT's that likely needed WD to satisfy the receiver's weight ratings. I mind my business.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 103k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tow vehicle miss match
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS