cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle miss match

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
While on the road I allways looking for miss matched tow vehicle and trailer. Today I saw one that was hard to believe! ( wish I had gotten a photo) This was a BMW sedan pulling a 23 to 25 foot travel trailer with ass end sagging way down. Wow! What have any of you guys seen?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs
11 REPLIES 11

blt2ski
JRscooby wrote:
Not RV. Hauling a "light" load on a 7 axle rig, thinking of a easy ride across the state on 2 lane and lightly traveled 4 lane. On a down hill, see a mini-van coming down side road to stopsign Holy Snot! He is PULLING A BOBCAT! I'm on the Jakes, dropping cogs, but he gets stopped at the sign. Watch him turn to follow me. Would prefer to have him in front, hamn sure don't want close behind. Twist the Cats tail to get up the next grade, and well Bell, looks like yep, just meet the State weight watcher. Yes, he's making a U behind the mini-van, strobes flashing. I'm thinking a possible disaster is missed, nope, he's passing the van. My CB "RGN, there is a wide shoulder about half mile up on the left, would you pull in there?"
And we spend some time making sure I have all the permits I need, and log book is up to date...
The machine I was hauling, I would be under 80 and 12-34-34 on my step-deck, but I was back haul with 4 axle tractor and 3 axle lowboy. No way to be over axles...

There was even less of a chance that said minivan was over the road bed design limits. Only a registration limit in that case. Hence you were the better target for getting ticket funds for the state.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not RV. Hauling a "light" load on a 7 axle rig, thinking of a easy ride across the state on 2 lane and lightly traveled 4 lane. On a down hill, see a mini-van coming down side road to stopsign Holy Snot! He is PULLING A BOBCAT! I'm on the Jakes, dropping cogs, but he gets stopped at the sign. Watch him turn to follow me. Would prefer to have him in front, hamn sure don't want close behind. Twist the Cats tail to get up the next grade, and well Bell, looks like yep, just meet the State weight watcher. Yes, he's making a U behind the mini-van, strobes flashing. I'm thinking a possible disaster is missed, nope, he's passing the van. My CB "RGN, there is a wide shoulder about half mile up on the left, would you pull in there?"
And we spend some time making sure I have all the permits I need, and log book is up to date...
The machine I was hauling, I would be under 80 and 12-34-34 on my step-deck, but I was back haul with 4 axle tractor and 3 axle lowboy. No way to be over axles...

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
At a busy campground we stayed in two weeks ago, we noticed quite a few TV/TT combos using just a tri-ball or drop ball mount with no WD checking in. Several various half ton pickups towing long TT's that likely needed WD to satisfy the receiver's weight ratings. I mind my business.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a similarly loaded Volvo wagon last summer, it didn't look like it had any suspension travel left. The scariest one was a lifted CJ-7 pulling an old construction camp trailer, he struggled to hang onto it at anything approaching highway speed. Waddya mean a weight distribution hitch? What's that?

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen a few scary things, but the most frightening one of all wasn't towing. It was a station wagon with one of those basket things hanging off the hitch. Judging by the windows of the wagon, the back was packed really full, as was the car-top carrier, as well as the rear basket. So much so, in fact, that the car was clearly hunkered down on the rear suspension, and the front wheels were close to floating. The driver missed his turn, and was using the highway crossover to turn around. The basket scraped a bit on the downside of a very gentle hump in the middle of the crossover, and it looked like the front wheels got a little air at one point.

The vehicle clearly had a trailer hitch. I have no idea what the driver was thinking not renting a cargo trailer from U-Haul and putting that weight where it belonged, in the trailer. I hope he got wherever he was going without killing anybody.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Just yesterday I say a Honda Odyssey pulling about a 21 foot trailer. The trailer was severely nose down and the Honda was riding pretty low as well.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If towing in a โ€œVโ€ wasnโ€™t so unsafe...Duh...it would be funny. Edatlanta, did this guy shift cargo to the rear of the TT? Might have helped.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this at Wal-Mart a few years ago. Turns out they checked in to the campground where I was hosting an hour or so after I took this picture. They had traveled 250 miles in this condition and no clue prior to that.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ I saw a car towing about a 20' travel trailer using a receiver made for a bicycle rack. I believe those are 1 1/4"s with an adapter to 2" receiver and a ball. According to the license plates this vehicle and trailer made it about 3/4s the way across the country. :E
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago at a rest area, we saw a family with an older fullsize van pulling an even older trailer, perhaps 18-20' max. No WD hitch. Man, did they sag in the middle!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

blt2ski
A WD setup properly might have leveled said situation up, made it more sensible looking!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer