Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ferretgrandpa

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, if you have software / hardware that will only run on XP like I did, then think about a Puppy Linux.

You can get many different Pups that will run from a USB drive, without touching anything on the computer. You can have your XP just as it is, and when you need to get out on the net, just pop in the usb drive and boot up into puppy and enjoy. (you might be surprised at how well your old computer runs).

I have been able to keep using a video capture card, and playing my old games on XP and basically have the best of both worlds.

And if you do run across some problems on the net, it will be on a USB drive, not on your HD. I've been using Puppies for about 10 years, never had a problem.

Tom

ps I agree with the other posters that say don't use XP online, ain't worth the hassles

98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing is, I would never donate a computer without completely wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS.

-- Chris Bryant

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If, like me, you can’t part with the Windows photoviewer from XP and 7, try Honeyview for Windows 10. It’s the first viewer for Win 10 that I find acceptable and it does have a very nice new feature - showing on google maps where the photo was taken. I keep all my photos on an old XP desktop because photoviewer is so nice to use. If I knew how I would set up my new laptop to boot up in either XP or Windows 10. There are several articles with instructions for moving the old Photoviewer to Win 10 but none of them worked for me.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still use the calculator from XP at work. I find it much easier the use than the win7 or win10 ones. I even change the registry so the calculator keyboard button pulls it up.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

The thing is, I would never donate a computer without completely wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS.

And not a 'quick format' either. Run a full long format that takes hours to run. A 'quick format' only removes what can be thought of as the table of contents - the data is still on the hard drive. It is fairly trivial to recover. Things like credit card and account numbers, haphazardly stored by Windows or the browser, may be lurking waiting discovery.

As for me... I will recycle old computers without any hard drives in them. I will do a 'remote disk wipe' on all hard drives....from 100 yards away.

[image]

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

printerhelpcenter

united state

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well firefox used to be good. but alas it's gotten so bloated as to be poor ***Link Removed***brother printer offline fix in window 10

Opera still gets good reviews
I use Chrome on Win-10 Don't have any XP any more

I'm using Chromebooks more and more just use Doze when I have to. ***Link Removed***fix canon printer error b200

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric/Lisa that hard drive looks like a start on the Military method.. someone once ask how to totally erase one and I posted, as best I recalled, the Military standard (Which includes hammers, rocks, or anvils, flame throwers. Hand Grenades and running over it with a tank as I recall) got flamed. and then before I even saw the flame someone explained where I was getting my suggestions.

Suffice to say the US Army way is kind of overkill but it works.. guaranteed. not even Nigel (Crossing Jordan TV show) is gonna get anything off that drive. [emoticon].

To the thread topic.

I use Chrome browser more and more now days on my Win-10 box (which is now a use when it only runs on doze) and well my main machines are chromebooks with android extensions. DO 99% of what I need so that's what I use.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jcpainter wrote:

I truly agree that Windows XP is dead and burried, but I just didn't feel good donating something that couldn't be used for reasonable internet access.
The problem is that by donating an XP machine with a reasonable browser all you are doing is leaving it so that an unaware recipient of your good intention will open their network to being hacked. XP security is known to be vulnerable and no corrections are being made. Hacking isn't just about identity theft either, vulnerable machines and networks become unwitting participants in large scale denial of service attacks. In this day and age it is really a disservice to donate an XP computer for anything except recycling.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

My laptop works fine with XP. I use it for e-mail, to put music on my WD my cloud, and a little banking. If anyone stoled my identity, when they found out what they had they would give it back.

You do online banking with an OS that hasn't had a security upgrade in half a decade? And has several known, unpatched severe vulnerabilities? You're asking for trouble...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

K Charles wrote:

My laptop works fine with XP. I use it for e-mail, to put music on my WD my cloud, and a little banking. If anyone stoled my identity, when they found out what they had they would give it back.

You do online banking with an OS that hasn't had a security upgrade in half a decade? And has several known, unpatched severe vulnerabilities? You're asking for trouble...

Personally, I would revert back to 3.1 [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.