Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before going through all the trouble you should check if your charity even wants it. I had a working LED monitor I tried donating last week to Volunteers of America and also Goodwill. Neither of them take any computers, monitors or parts.

Also like others have mentioned if it has XP on it, its junk

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

neal10a

Madison CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No charity would want these if they care about those they are helping. The only people that might want them is the Smithsonian 100 years from now.

cleo43

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MX is a solid Linux Distro that still supports 32 bit oldies.
I just saved 2 laptops from the junk yard.
Firefox is the default browser.
It make me feel good to do something about the environment.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be able to turn it into a chromebook by using Neverware. Many thousands have been converted, and they run well and fast. Here's an article explaining the process.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many are saying MS support for XP completely ended over 5 years ago. That is incorrect. Because of ATM and point of sale usage MS has been issuing updates for XP at least thru 2019. It required a simple registry change to set the version to point of sale. Those updates were supposed to end in July 2019. However, MS released a major security patch last year after that date. It was not available thru Windows Update and must be downloaded manually.

Older Chrome versions can still be downloaded that work. For people that do not have any money for anything else an old XP PC can still do what some need. For those that know what they are doing viruses aren't an issue!

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"For people that do not have any money for anything else an old XP PC can still do what some need. For those that know what they are doing viruses aren't an issue!"

I don't think it's the virus issue per se, but rather the security exploits that are more easily attacked on XP.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I don't think it's the virus issue per se, but rather the security exploits that are more easily attacked on XP.

True but same applies. Generally such attacks are initiated thru some user action. Avoid those actions and you won't get attacked. I still have one XP machine I use daily. Been using it for years. Not a single attack. At a company of a few 100 people it is always the same people having their PC attacked while everyone else has zero issues.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

So many are saying MS support for XP completely ended over 5 years ago. That is incorrect. Because of ATM and point of sale usage MS has been issuing updates for XP at least thru 2019. It required a simple registry change to set the version to point of sale.
For J.Q. Public support ended completely some time ago. Registry changes and even manual updates are way beyond he purview of 99.99% of the computer using public.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

True but same applies. Generally such attacks are initiated thru some user action. Avoid those actions and you won't get attacked. I still have one XP machine I use daily. Been using it for years. Not a single attack. At a company of a few 100 people it is always the same people having their PC attacked while everyone else has zero issues.
Weeelllll, you're kind of right, but an exploit can be hidden on an innocuous website like yahoo, CNN, CNET, etc, and you don't even have to click on anything to be attacked. Old OS's like XP have more vulnerabilities because they aren't being patched like the new OS's. I don't mean to be a fearmonger, but it is a fact that an older, unsupported OS is going to be more likely to be attacked. Different from an emailed virus, or some such thing.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I don't mean to be a fearmonger, but it is a fact that an older, unsupported OS is going to be more likely to be attacked. Different from an emailed virus, or some such thing.

True but as there are few people still running XP, hackers aren't bothering to target it much. I'm not suggesting people go out and find an XP PC. I'm saying if you have one and can't afford anything else it can perform quite a few tasks with ease. If security is an issue have an IT friend update it. There have been security updates as late as last year. I'm more worried about Microsoft updates hosing my Windows 10 PC!! lol

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.