cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downsizing to TT

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a smaller 5th wheel and are thinking about going to a smaller TT. We would like it to weigh under 4500 pounds maybe 24 ft. We would like a queen sized bed, 2 slide outs, storage for clothes for long trips, table/bench and maybe separate chairs. This may be a lot to ask for a smaller TT but if anyone has an idea of one that might fit we thank you in advance
11 REPLIES 11

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
If you'd ditch the 2nd slide then you have all kinds of options.

I actually like the way you think as the wife and I are ready to retire, we simply don't want a GIANT trailer for pulling out west or navigating the beautiful state parks in VA and WV.

We are also looking at several trailers and 28ft will be are absolute max, bumper to tongue even though my truck can pull 18K. Lol
My family is getting bigger (kids aged 7 and 4) and we already downsized from a 35ft TT to a 24ft TT. We wanted more ease, more boondocking and less stuff. It's hard to enjoy the State Parks when they can't accommodate a larger trailer.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One big slide and the weight for a quality aluminum frame and fiberglass trailer will be a little over 5,000 pounds.
I like Rockwood, Nash, Outdoor RV, and Arctic Fox in that size. Good storage.
For a long trip I will be using my shower as a closet.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If you'd ditch the 2nd slide then you have all kinds of options.

I actually like the way you think as the wife and I are ready to retire, we simply don't want a GIANT trailer for pulling out west or navigating the beautiful state parks in VA and WV.

We are also looking at several trailers and 28ft will be are absolute max, bumper to tongue even though my truck can pull 18K. Lol

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments. You are all saying what we are finding out. We are going to go to RV shows this winter and just look around. You are all always very helpful!!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I seriously doubt you will find what you want in a 25 ft TT. I suspect when you find a TT that you are comfortable with, it will take a bite out of 30 ft.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Six years ago we downsized from a 34' Flagstaff to a 27' Rockwood (that's full length, including the hitch, for both trailers), as we found that the big one, comfy as it was to stay in, was too big for most state park and national forest CGs. Glad we made the switch. (See sig for our current model.) Probably a little heavier than what you were looking for, but our truck has zero problem with it anywhere.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our last RV was a 2007 Rockwood Ultralite 2502 travel trailer. Ordered it new online.

It's right at 4000 lbs empty, but with all the options. No slides. Very little storage. 25' long. The next model, with a slide, added over 1000 lbs at the time. Even hybrid TTs weighed more than this one.

The get the weight this low, the trailer is 6" narrower than their other models, the wall frame, bed frame, and dinette frame, are all welded aluminum. The trailer frame is steel.

The upside to this TT is even a mid sized SUV (not a crossover!) can tow this easily. The downside is the limited space. Fine for the two of us, and a small dog.

But we are now close to retirement, and recently bought a Class A. The TT will be sold to our niece by the end of the month.

Pictures of this trailer here:

http://2manytoyz.com/tt.html

http://www.2manytoyz.com/staug.html
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that size one large slide out is really good. I think you are lookin in the right size range. If someone gave me a 30 foot trailer I would sell it immediately and find one around 24 feet. 5,000 pounds or a little more is what a well built alum and fiberglass trailer will weigh in that range.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Is there even a trailer on the market under 4500 lbs with 2 slides?

Nope, ~5500 is the minimum weight for a dual slide from what I can find on an advanced search on rvtrader and that's for a queen/muphy queen, big dinette slide and small kitchen slide, no real couch or recliners. It would be cool if you could for what they want in the weight and length they want but I can't see it being possible.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Is there even a trailer on the market under 4500 lbs with 2 slides?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We set out to do the same three years ago after three 5th wheels. Smaller 24~ft TT wound up being a Jayco 28RLS with recliners, free standing table and chairs, sofa bed, full 80" queen bed in a bedroom, large shower etc etc. At 32' overall, it's as long as the 5th wheel we traded for it. Good luck with your quest!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'