cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with trailer brakes, need guidance

mimmell
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening everyone. My wife and I are new to the travel trailer life and we had an issue on our trip this past weekend.

I drive an 2014 f-250 and we have an Aspen Creek 2850 bunkhouse. We hooked up to leave for the long weekend and the truck threw a “Wiring Fault on Trailer” error. We started driving and then we noticed that the trailer brakes were smoking. Upon inspection, I had accidentally pulled the emergency trailer release cable with the tongue jack.

We installed the plunger and the brakes released. However I am continuing to get the error on the truck and the trailer brakes are not engaging. The initial thought was that I burned up the brakes and they were not functioning. However I got home tonight and inspected the wiring on the brakes and they looked fine. I pulled the plunger on the emergency brake release and the trailer brakes engaged. Installed the plunger and they released. The brakes appear to be functional. So is the issue with the truck trailer brake controller or do I have to reset something on the trailer? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

mimmell
Explorer
Explorer
collie hauler, that is my thought as well. My concern is that the emergency brake controller was putting a current into the circuit and that it could have burned up or impacted the TBC in the truck once I had connected it. I have a TBC tester on the way to verify, should be here tomorrow.

I will take the wheels off this week and see how much heat/damage was done.

Thanks everyone.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
IMO, your trailer brakes needed adjustment from the start, and likely more so now, after burning them.

Bearings need repacked now too, since they got hot from cooked brakes.
Bearings might even need replaced if they got hot and have turned colors.
Bob

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Did you pull each brake drum and inspect the burned magnets, wiring and brake shoes? Did you check the resistance of the magnets?

Inspection

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think you have a wiring issue somewhere between the truck connector and the trailer brakes, that was caused from overheating the trailer brake system. Full power to the brakes by pulling the emergency cable, for any length of time, may cause this. Your 2014 Ford IBC is one of the best controllers available, and is still telling you there is a wiring problem.

I can't help but wonder, how you could pull the trailer down the road (you don't say how far/how long) with full power to the trailer brakes. IMO, your trailer brakes needed adjustment from the start, and likely more so now, after burning them.

I think you will need a knowledgeable person, that is familiar with testing trailer brake wiring to check it out, and will need to have the trailer brakes checked and adjusted.

Jerry

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Strong possibility you damaged the brake controller.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mimmell wrote:
Good evening everyone. My wife and I are new to the travel trailer life and we had an issue on our trip this past weekend.

I drive an 2014 f-250 and we have an Aspen Creek 2850 bunkhouse. We hooked up to leave for the long weekend and the truck threw a “Wiring Fault on Trailer” error. We started driving

I'm I the only one that sees a problem with this statement?

and then we noticed that the trailer brakes were smoking. Upon inspection, I had accidentally pulled the emergency trailer release cable with the tongue jack.

We installed the plunger and the brakes released. However I am continuing to get the error on the truck and the trailer brakes are not engaging. The initial thought was that I burned up the brakes and they were not functioning. However I got home tonight and inspected the wiring on the brakes and they looked fine. I pulled the plunger on the emergency brake release and the trailer brakes engaged. Installed the plunger and they released. The brakes appear to be functional. So is the issue with the truck trailer brake controller or do I have to reset something on the trailer? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

I have a real hard time understanding this. The truck indicates there might be a issue with a major safety device, but you start to drive. And when you start the vehicle proves there is a issue, but the trip is more important...
As to the minor problem of the brake controller, the paper that came with my after market controller warns of damage in the exact circumstance you describe.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the trailer brake manual for your trailer brake switch or call the manufacture of your electrical switch and ask for customer service/tech support.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very possible the issue is with the brake controller....
When the 'pin' was out of the Emergency Brake Switch the trailer battery would energize the 'brake circuit' (trailer AND TRUCK brake wire) with full battery voltage

Unplug truck/trailer umbilical cord
Using a voltmeter test 'brake' power to ground on truck 7 pin receptacle while someone operates brake controller manual lever to full on
IIRC should be pin 1 (ground) & pin 2 (brake).....7 o'clock/pin 1 & 5 o'clock/pin 2
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31