cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plug it in or shut it down

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
The question is....when not using your RV, do you shut everything down or do you keep it plugged in? I was told 10 years ago to keep the RV plugged in and the refrigerator on. Shut off everything else like the furnace, AC unit, etc. recently I was told that when in storage to shut everything down and turn off the disconnect switch to the batteries. I have a Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV converter/charger with the charge wizard technology on board. Itโ€™s my understanding that this converter manages the charging of the batteries and โ€œtends themโ€ rather than cooking them. Itโ€™s also my understanding that turning a refrigerator off for long periods of time is what is hard on them. As a side note, we use our RV 6 to 8 times a year and it rarely sits more than 90 days without being used. Currently I keep my RV plugged into a 50 amp outlet at all times with my refrigerator on and all other appliances and lights turned off. So letโ€™s hear it, how do you store your RV when not in use and why?

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

27 REPLIES 27

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I leave it plugged in mainly because the PD converter does a great job of maintaining the batteries
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

$40 for off site no power storage vs $40 at home plugged in...SAME $40/month and benefit of on my property

You are still ignoring the $0 option of park at home unplugged.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever makes you comfortable.

mine is not plugged in even thought I have a 30 Amp plug where it is parked in the barn.

The battery is disconnected and a maintainer is on the battery.

I am comfortable.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
The fridge won't go bad from sitting.

Unless you are keeping it stocked to head out for the next trip, power off including the main battery switch.

$40/month...is almost $500 per year for little or no benefit if you aren't stocked to head out. After 10yr, that's $5,000 guaranteed cost...a new fridge would be a lot cheaper (not that it's likely to fail anyway).

I prefer disconnected as I've seen a couple of electrical fires in unattended units. Way more expensive than a new fridge.

$40/month is cheaper then standard outdoor storage which has NO BENEFIT
PLUS I have the added BENEFIT of walking into 5vr when doing work outside and get a NICE BOLD BEER cause 5vr is parked at home, plugged in and other then perishables fully stocked.

I once saw a FORD truck burn to the ground parked in a driveway and it was off. Burned house & garage down plus neighbors car.
Once saw a house burn to the ground ...gas leak.

Parking at home doesn't mean you have to plug it in. You are conflating storage lot vs home parking. As most storage lots don't give the option to plug in, it's not relevant to the question.

If I'm at home and need a cold beer, I just go to the fridge in the kitchen. Keeping it fully stocked is a good idea if you head out most weekends. If it's 2 months between trips, no harm but kind of silly to burn thru the expense of keeping the fridge powered.

$40 for off site no power storage vs $40 at home plugged in...SAME $40/month and benefit of on my property

RV is closer then kitchen and I don't have to get all cleaned up to go inside the RV....I get dirty/sweaty doing work outside
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Unless you are keeping it stocked to head out for the next trip, power off including the main battery switch.

$40/month...is almost $500 per year for little or no benefit if you aren't stocked to head out. After 10yr, that's $5,000 guaranteed cost...a new fridge would be a lot cheaper (not that it's likely to fail anyway).

I prefer disconnected as I've seen a couple of electrical fires in unattended units. Way more expensive than a new fridge.

PLUS I have the added BENEFIT of walking into 5vr when doing work outside and get a NICE BOLD BEER cause 5vr is parked at home, plugged in and other then perishables fully stocked.

I once saw a FORD truck burn to the ground parked in a driveway and it was off. Burned house & garage down plus neighbors car.

Parking at home doesn't mean you have to plug it in. You are conflating storage lot vs home parking. As most storage lots don't give the option to plug in, it's not relevant to the question.

If I'm at home and need a cold beer, I just go to the fridge in the kitchen. Keeping it fully stocked is a good idea if you head out most weekends. If it's 2 months between trips, no harm but kind of silly to burn thru the expense of keeping the fridge powered.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a SERVEL refrigerator made in 1955 that lights right off and the refrigerator can dip into the mid to high thirties on a ninety-degree day. But the burner stays on high and even though the freezer has it's own outer door it holds about 5% of what the other appliances are keeping.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Unplugged, covered, fridge off and open. 30 watts of solar for batteries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I think Iโ€™ll continue to leave my RV plugged in but turn the refrigerator off if itโ€™s going to be sitting idle for more than a few weeks. My RV is stored in an enclosed cover so no concerns about freezing here. I also leave a few windows cracked for ventilation. Thanks again for the input.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I use my RV about every other month. When I put it in storage, I drain the fresh, grey, and black water tanks. I turn off the propane at the tank, and I disconnect the engine and house batteries. This is because otherwise parasitic losses tended to drain the batteries before I installed the battery cut-off switches.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Stays plugged in any time in storage. Which means months at a time during the off season. Fridge off if we will not be using it for more than 2-3 weeks because the freezer ices up if left on too long.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Location matters. In the 90s here in central FL, incredibly humid, raining most days.

Humidity will destroy the inside of a camper. Mold will grow.

I keep the vents shut, and one A/C unit set to 78F. It cycles throughout the day, and very little at night.

Our fridge is a residential unit. I start it up about a week before a trip, and often leave it running for a week afterwards. If we have any tropical storms/hurricanes threatening, I'll go ahead and start it, just in case.

The smart battery charger keeps my 4 house batteries, and 1 chassis battery, happy and healthy. No overcharging, no self discharging.

FWIW, our travel trailer was purchased new in 2006. I kept the A/C running in it also. We are in the process of selling it to our niece. The inside of the camper looks almost new, while the outside has some sun damage.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

NavManCan
Explorer
Explorer
It depends.

C_B_