Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Plug it in or shut it down
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Plug it in or shut it down

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mxdad777

Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The question is....when not using your RV, do you shut everything down or do you keep it plugged in? I was told 10 years ago to keep the RV plugged in and the refrigerator on. Shut off everything else like the furnace, AC unit, etc. recently I was told that when in storage to shut everything down and turn off the disconnect switch to the batteries. I have a Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV converter/charger with the charge wizard technology on board. It’s my understanding that this converter manages the charging of the batteries and “tends them” rather than cooking them. It’s also my understanding that turning a refrigerator off for long periods of time is what is hard on them. As a side note, we use our RV 6 to 8 times a year and it rarely sits more than 90 days without being used. Currently I keep my RV plugged into a 50 amp outlet at all times with my refrigerator on and all other appliances and lights turned off. So let’s hear it, how do you store your RV when not in use and why?

2018 Rockwood Signature 8299BS 5th wheel
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fridge on/off........personal choice and ability to do so (power etc)

Fridge has no moving parts.
Cooling units are mfg'd and sit for long periods of time before being installed into fridge cabinet
Assembled fridges sit for long periods before being installed into an RV
RVs sit for long periods of time before being bought
Sold RVs sit for long periods of time

ON....if you have available power and RV is level
Why not.
My 5th wheel is sitting next to house plugged in/stocked---ready to go, as guest quarters and my man cave.(great place to cool down/relax when yard work/get hot----cold beverage and some TV)
Fridge should have items inside...hard on cooling unit to maintain temps in a empty fridge....NO Mass to retain cold so cooling unit goes thru more frequent heating cycles

Plus batteries are fully charged/maintained.
Just check battery water levels weekly then monthly so you get an idea on water usage if any.

COsts me roughly $40 month to have my 5th plugged in and READY!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plugged in with the fridge off, unless another trip is coming with a week of two. Why use the power?

With a PD9245 the single grp 29 Interstate battery didn’t use a drop of water in 5 years...two batteries over 10 years total. I quit checking it for water.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving the fridge running may use about 5.7 KWH per day. That does add up over time. It would be environmentally friendly to turn it off.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/19 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when it's home it's plugged into 50-amp power with the residential fridge on along with vent fans, A/C or heat depending on the weather. storage lot is outdoors with no hookups so both chassis and coach batteries are disconnected using the salesman switches. i also prop open the fridge door. in the winter i stuff the fridge and freezer with newspaper.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fridge won't go bad from sitting.

Unless you are keeping it stocked to head out for the next trip, power off including the main battery switch.

$40/month...is almost $500 per year for little or no benefit if you aren't stocked to head out. After 10yr, that's $5,000 guaranteed cost...a new fridge would be a lot cheaper (not that it's likely to fail anyway).

I prefer disconnected as I've seen a couple of electrical fires in unattended units. Way more expensive than a new fridge.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

It would be environmentally friendly to turn it off.

I would bet the folks telling people to be environmentally friendly leave the APU running on the private jet while it sits on the tarmac all day, just so it's nice and cool in the cabin when they return from the beach in St Barthelemy, having flew 2500 miles one way to get there for one day. [emoticon]

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During the "season" April-October, the camper is plugged in with the refrig on. In the "off season' Water systems are winterized with rv anti freeze, refrig is off with door left open, camper is plugged in, which keeps the batteries in shape. Been doing it this way for 15 years.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

neschultz

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We treat ours just like our house - would you turn off the electric to it when you aren’t using it? We’ve always kept ours in a shelter and plugged in with enough heating/cooling to prevent extreme temperature swings when we aren’t using it. So we never have any mold/mildew, ruined wood, or cracked floors, etc. Even your car will be in much better shape if you store it with controlled temp/humidity.

Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leon, from National Refrigeration, our go-to guy for all things RV Fridge (fixyourfridge.com) told us if we leave our RV for a week unattended to shut down the fridge. We recently had it in for service and it sat for a month off and started right back up.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Plug it in or shut it down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.