cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not dead, yet :p

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey all, just wanted to let folks know that I am in fact still alive :p, and still working on my camper ;). After four summers of restoring my 75 Amerigo, its finally near the stage where I might actually get done with it :).

I'll hopefully have some new photos and get some work done on the backlog of posts that didn't get made from late last year and some update photos on the completed body (I'll hopefully be starting the frame work for the cabinet structure and other two bathroom walls next week, I'll be repaneling the passenger side wall tomorrow, which allow for the beginning of the cabinet/dinette structure rebuild on the passenger side (I'm short one sheet of 1/4" plywood to finish the driver's side wall).

I also still need to finish the rear overhang underfloor tank compartment (The holding tank is insulated and heated in the new setup), so I can reinstall all the sewer piping.

The interior should go alot faster, as most of it is hollow frames with finished RV wall panel on it vs the outer walls, which involved alot of frame rebuilding, new insulation, new wiring, then the thin underlayment plywood which is glued and screwed into place (the wall panel is too thin by itself).

Hope everyone is still out there camping, I've not been on the forum since fall of last year, as I shifted gears to other hobbies while the camper wasn't finished and reading everyone's adventures was kinda getting me down, as I've not been able to go truck camping since the winter of 2012, when Mr. KIT made his final trip on the road.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL
11 REPLIES 11

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoinThisAway wrote:
I have yet to see an Amerigo in person. I look forward to seeing photos of how yours is coming along or maybe even seeing it along the road sometime in the future.

I've got the project up on my blog and on here on the forum as well :).

You can read it on the forum here :).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to see an Amerigo in person. I look forward to seeing photos of how yours is coming along or maybe even seeing it along the road sometime in the future.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Matt, Hope you get cruisin again... it's fun. I hammer down a lot of backroads as the rest of the country seems to be turning into a big city everywhere.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
joerg68 wrote:
Thanks for the update! Hang in there! Wishing you happy travels - soon!

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm looking forward to getting back on the road, we already have a list of places we used to take Mr. KIT (He's still in the barn, being used as gear storage atm, I've got a couple more appliances to swap out with the ones from the Amerigo before I patch him back up and put him up for sale for some young family to get a few more years out of him.

jimh425 wrote:
Welcome back, good luck on your remaining work.

Thank you! I've got three more sheets of plywood left to cut and then its paneling and cabinet time, which also means its time to finish the gas, water and electric systems :). There's about 3000 feet of wire in the Amerigo so far, and that's just the stuff that was run in the walls for the new lights, stereo, TV ariel, 110volt system, etc....

As of the end of today, Merry is starting to look like a truck camper on the inside again :). The fun part is going to be getting the inlet hole lined up with the pipe coming from the toilet as its slightly offset so that the toilet is near the wall, but the tank and its valves are fully inside of the overhang compartment so that they're fully insulated during the winter and heated (old camper, no basement space unlike modern rigs ๐Ÿ˜› )

BobsYourUncle wrote:
Hey Joe!!
Nice to hear from you and that you're still kicking!
Good luck with getting your project done and put into use.
Hope all is well in your world. ๐Ÿ™‚

I wound up in the emergency room back in April with a Kidney stone, so still paying off that debt, which is part of the reason for the late start on working on the Amerigo this year.

ticki2 wrote:
Glad to hear you haven't given up . Not too many of us dinosaurs left running old stock .

Aye, this will probably be my last truck camper project rebuild. I can't believe I thought I could get it done in one summer once upon a time :p.

d3500ram wrote:
MATT, good to hear the JRE is still going!
I am out of the TC game for now but still check in here once in a while,

Good to see some of the old gaurd are still around :).

NRALIFR wrote:
Good to see an update from you, Matt. Iโ€™ve wondered what became of your Amerigo. Looking forward to seeing some pics. I donโ€™t know how youโ€™ve survived this long without a camping fix!

:):)

Work for the most part, my life mostly has consisted of living my life two days a week and the rest of the week being a blur of living in a datacenter and sleeping.

mountainkowboy wrote:
pics!!! we need pics....lol

I'm offloading what I have from last year off the memory card :). I had to replace my camera, I forgot it inside the Amerigo during the winter and the humidity destroyed it.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
pics!!! we need pics....lol
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Good to see an update from you, Matt. Iโ€™ve wondered what became of your Amerigo. Looking forward to seeing some pics. I donโ€™t know how youโ€™ve survived this long without a camping fix!

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
MATT, good to hear the JRE is still going!
I am out of the TC game for now but still check in here once in a while,
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you haven't given up . Not too many of us dinosaurs left running old stock .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Hey Joe!!
Nice to hear from you and that you're still kicking!
Good luck with getting your project done and put into use.
Hope all is well in your world. ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome back, good luck on your remaining work.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the update! Hang in there! Wishing you happy travels - soon!
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow