Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 4WD or 2WD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4WD or 2WD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
donnyB7

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at buying a used diesel PU. I don't really need 4WD, but there aren't many 2WD for sale. I am looking at getting a Ram 2500 Diesel from 2006 to 2010.
Are the 4WD Ram 2500's taller than the 2WD?

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only about 1/2" difference on a third gen Ram.

Better to have 4WD and not need it, than not have it and need it. I've rarely *needed* it, but it has saved me once at a campsite and once at a boat ramp, that I know of without a doubt.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Random musings (blog): https://www.lifeenroute.com

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The easiest question to answer in the last month. Do you ever travel outside of Florida?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from 2wd to 4wd to 2wd with the last 3 trucks. (In snow country)

Only got the 4wd because it happened to have it. Other than to turn it on and check it's working...never used it. Just a bit more maintenance.

So while I wouldn't turn down a 4wd, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get one and I wouldn't pay more for it (really didn't see a big price difference on used trucks).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldn't imagine towing without 4WD available. There are too many times where I'm camped on a slightly sloping grassy site where I'd be completely stuck wthout it. This wouldn't stop the truck by itself but with the trailer attached, forget it. Even If I did manage to get out I'd make a mess of the grass by spinning the wheels and the campground would be unhappy with me.

David Kojen

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had two diesel RWD-only trucks and have had no issues... but we don't go off-road or boondock. I would, however, encourage you to look at SRW 1-ton diesel trucks. A 3/4-ton diesel with 4WD - especially in the model years you're considering - can be short on payload.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Times have changed... used too you had to pay extra for 4WD... None you have to pay extra for 2WD...

All my vehicles have been 4WD.... Was an avid Jeep guy back in the day so getting a 2WD was not an option…

I pulled off the road one time pulling my trailer and the gravel was just put down and I got stuck pretty good. Good to just push the 4WD button and pull out...

The only time I remember getting really stuck was with my truck only and followed some dudes out onto the beach at Nags head... I got stuck big time. The guy that helped me get out also got stuck big time but together we both final got out...

Now I am thinking about adding a front mounted winch to my truck haha..

This is my new JEEP dreams...
[image]
Google image

Roy Ken
[image]

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we moved up to a travel trailer in 2002, we purchased a used 4WD truck and replaced it with another 4WD truck in 2012, which was sold with our Minnie travel trailer when we bought our MH last year. There were a few occasions where the 4WD kept us from being stuck, and I can't say that having a 4WD truck created any big repairs. If I were to go back to a TT of fifth wheel trailer, I would want a 4WD truck. And, if you live where there is snow or encounter snow in your travels, you will be glad to have the 4WD option.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

Only about 1/2" difference on a third gen Ram.

Better to have 4WD and not need it, than not have it and need it. I've rarely *needed* it, but it has saved me once at a campsite and once at a boat ramp, that I know of without a doubt.

That’s a big 1/2”!!
Not sure where your comparison came from but 3rd gen rams are way taller 4wd than 2wd.
You must be thinking 1/2tons. They’re close in height on the ifs trucks.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had 4x4 on my last 3 trucks. Not because I particularly wanted it, but because it is near impossible to find a higher trim level truck with the options I wanted on dealer lots. I have never used 4x4 while towing. We occasionally get a little ice, sleet, or snow and when driving around I typically do not even engage it for that. I don't off road. And our RV trips are almost always at parks with paved, gravel, or rock pads. Only time I have ever actually NEEDED 4x4 is getting in/out of muddy pasture roads to our hunting cabin. And then only in those few times it was overly muddy.

I drive a Ford and the Ford F350 4x4 is quite a bit taller than the 4x2. The newest ones probably too tall for my 5er.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4WD or 2WD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS