Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Air Conditioning Malfunction?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Air Conditioning Malfunction?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may have found my problem...

First, I called the manuf. and was told that if the battery power falls to 12.5V or lower the a/c shuts down. This prompted me to start looking at the batteries, and though the chassis batteries (2) are maintenance-free, the House batteries are wet - I was told when I purchased the RV Nov 2017 that the house batteries were maintenance-free.

All but once I have been plugged into shore power. The one time I was not - July 2018 - was a week dry camping, which required frequent generator use, as batteries did not maintain power through the night. Foolish of me not to have checked them, but I confess, and consider the experience a valuable one.

Moving along, checked batteries, all needed fluid, and once filled, took a 90-min ride to assist in a minor recharge, hoping to see a difference upon my return. Following that, Solar kicked in 3 days to charge, and both the RV metering system, and the Solar Controller showed 13.1+ V.

Then, currently plugged into shore power last 24 hours-36 hours. RV meter (fluid levels, etc.) currently shows 12.6V Chassis, and 13.2V House battery charge, and Solar Controller also shows 13.2. When I press the Amp/Volt button on the controller, Volt reading changes to 1.3A, and pressing again, shows 42.4 ah. There's a status bar showing 100%, with the status bar - normally scaling left to right very fast - now static.

Each House battery -4- label shows 115 min @ 75 Amps, 225 Ah @ 20 Hr...

I'm not knowledgeable enough here to KNOW what this means, but if I had to guess, I'd say something's wrong with my batteries... it appears they are not holding a full charge, and never will, due to my failure to check them periodically. With only 42ah showing on the monitor, it's not consistent with what the battery label is telling me, and it seems they need to be replaced...

Am I wrong?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Your AC units will still operate down to about 11.4 volts. The Manufacturer rep was wrong
2. IF the battery plates were exposed at all, REPLACE all 4 batteries. You will never have piece of mind until you do. Doug

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have to be on 120VAC in order to run the A/C, then the condition of your batteries should be irrelevant; when plugged in (or on generator), your converter is providing the 12vdc that your A/C controls need, not the batteries, although I suppose that it is possible that a bad cell or battery could be drawing the voltage provided by your converter down so far as to cause problems. Disconnect the batteries entirely and try the A/C.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12.6 is resting voltage full charge. The chassis batteries being 12.6 means you likely do NOT have a bi-directional isolator.. You need to confirm this with RV body builder and if you do not add a Tric-L-Start to keep them topped off.

13.2 is a bit low for float voltage on teh house batteries They may still be charging..

How much fluid did the batteries take (Do not answer that) were the plates seriously exposed? If only the top say quarter inch (or less) you may be OK but if you can't even even see the fluid level when you pop the cap as the other party said .. Replace 'em

now if they are six volt GC batteries (Looks like they are from the specs you gave) there are two pair. Each pair is wired like this

Frame---(=6v+)-----(-6v+)--- 12 volt to RV

Think of those (each pair) as thou it were a SINGLE 12 volt battery, because properly connected that is exactly what they are.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You definitely need new batteries, but the bigger question is what is the time frame to get the AC looked at under warranty? If you're getting close to the expiration I would take it in and worry about the other parts later. You can replace the batteries yourself beforehand, or have the dealership replace them for you.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:

Turns out, both a/c units are bad, and will be replaced under warranty (Dometic)... Took RV in for service issues, a/c among them, and tech noted my observations were correct, air flow wasn't cooling as it should, said something about power flow showed both were putting out only about half of what they should be. Since they are covered under warranty, he ordered two to install once received, and, presumably, this will solve the problem...

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah. the sweetest sound a Service consultant can make "Covered under Warranty"

Don't you just love it [emoticon]

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Ah. the sweetest sound a Service consultant can make "Covered under Warranty"

Don't you just love it [emoticon]

You betcha, Bucko... they're in, soon to be installed, and all else looks good... batteries are fine... more relief... now... if I can just get the **** thing back while the weather's still cooperating!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Air Conditioning Malfunction?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS