Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Add leveling jacks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Add leveling jacks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid just under 4500 installed in the factory shop for the 6pt hydraulic Equalizer System . That was 3yrs ago this Septemberso probably a bit more today.
A lot of $ yes but for the setup ease and when I had a blowout & just raised it up, worth it to me, we had decided to hang on to this rv but if I was thinking upgrading that would be the way to go.

bjlakatos1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twinstick wrote:

You can buy the Lippert 3.0 compete system from etrailer. It doesn't look too bad to install. I've looked at it, just can't quite pull the trigger on it yet.

I installed it on my 40' Chaparral a few months back. It is very nice to use auto levelers for 99% of the time. Install went well although it took time.

juzplanekrazy

Riverside Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last trailer only had the front gear driven legs and hand crank scissor legs in the back. This new one has the 6 point auto level system and hitch height remembering.
I could never go back to the old one after using this auto system. What a dream to use. Push a button, unhook, push a button and it's done.
Worth every dollar it cost.

2017 Ford F-350 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
Pullrite Super5th

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Auto leveling is great feature. But I'm not sure I could justify the cost of an aftermarket install. $4000-$5000 grand is a big number?
I would really have to look at my trade in value and overall cost to upgrade were.
I would have to consider putting that 5K into a newer RV vs. putting it into a leveling system. Although I understand it's hard to start over when you have a rig that you are comfortable with that has all the kinks worked out.
I also think I would be more inclined to start over with an aftermarket system vs. retrofitting what I have.
I think I would want parts designed to be synced together vs. manipulating my existing system.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Auto leveling is great feature. But I'm not sure I could justify the cost of an aftermarket install. $4000-$5000 grand is a big number?
I would really have to look at my trade in value and overall cost to upgrade were.
I would have to consider putting that 5K into a newer RV vs. putting it into a leveling system. Although I understand it's hard to start over when you have a rig that you are comfortable with that has all the kinks worked out.
I also think I would be more inclined to start over with an aftermarket system vs. retrofitting what I have.
I think I would want parts designed to be synced together vs. manipulating my existing system.
I pretty much agree with that. To me the costs far outweigh the real advantages. As near as I can tell, you pay around $4,000 so you can level your trailer with a button instead of blocks.

My only issue is I don't have unlimited funds. I look at the traveling I can do with that $4,000 and suddenly I don't mind having to mess with the blocks.

If the unit came with the leveling system would be one thing, I still couldn't afford it no matter what, but the idea of adding one on just doesn't appeal.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There could be a problem with adding jacks behind the wheels depending on when you use them. As long as you level left to right before dropping the landing gear you should be fine. Just adjust the leg extensions to match the already level trailer in relation to the ground (one may be extended further than the other). Just like if you had to put one side up on boards.
If you unhook first, your front legs are already set at whatever angle the ground is and then you jack one side up, you can easily bend the frame.

A complete one touch system would be the best way to go, but you can do the half step of two jacks as long as you keep the right sequence of events.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djousma wrote:

laknox wrote:

djousma wrote:

My opinion, stick with hydraulic. More than enough power to autolevel front to back, and side to side, and the controller make them all operate in sync, IOW, if it calls to level side to side, all 3 jacks on that side operate together. What you describe would torque the frame if not all operating in unison.

As for electric jacks, my buddy had them on his prior 5th. They didnt have enough lift capacity to level, only to stabilize.

It is odd to me, that a RV builder wouldnt go to 6 point hydraulic leveling if they already had front hydraulic jacks and presumably hydraulic slides as well.

Might check out lippert's system.

That's because your buddy had electric =stabilizers=, not electric =jacks=. Basically, he had what amounts to the old scissor jacks, but with an electric motor on them to save cranking them down. Electric jacks, OTOH, are true jacks, with plenty of lifting power. My 10.5GVW KZ can be lifted completely off the ground with the 4 jacks of the 4-point leveling system.

Lyle

Lyle,

It was the lippert 3.0 ground control 4 point leveling system. IOW, the front legs, plus 2 additional behind the wheels. And I know what lippert publishes (20K capacity), but for whatever reason on his KZ Durango Gold(weighed in at about 16K) they just were not up to the task.

$3500 for GC 3.0 6-point vs about $6000 for 6-point hydraulic. Quite a price to pay after the fact.

That's the same system I have. Frankly, your buddy should have complained to his dealer and KZ about it while under warranty. Likely the wrong capacity jacks were installed at the factory. I'd certainly check what the capacity of them are and replace them with larger jacks. Pretty simple; 4 or 6 bolts on each jack and 2 wires. Frankly, I'm surprised a Gold had only a 4 point system on it and not 6.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

That's the same system I have. Frankly, your buddy should have complained to his dealer and KZ about it while under warranty. Likely the wrong capacity jacks were installed at the factory. I'd certainly check what the capacity of them are and replace them with larger jacks. Pretty simple; 4 or 6 bolts on each jack and 2 wires. Frankly, I'm surprised a Gold had only a 4 point system on it and not 6.

Lyle

Lyle...he did get them swapped out for the 6-point, when he traded the KZ in on a Cedar Creek Hathaway edition. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 07/16/19 11:58am by an administrator/moderator *

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Add leveling jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.