Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Add leveling jacks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Add leveling jacks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
nedhead8233

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy all.
I'm hitting a dead end on some research and thought perhaps some of you may have some answers I'm looking for.
I have a 15k lb 39' 5th wheel. The front landing gear are hydrolic and work wonderfully - they self balance, meaning I do not have independent control of each leg. For now, I am manually leveling side to side on blocks. I've looked into many(all) of the leveling systems and am having a hard time deciding how to proceed. Specifically, I keep coming back to the question "Why can't I just add two electric jacks right behind my rear axle and use them to level side to side, then use the existing hydrolic landing gear to level front/back?" It doesn't seem like it would put any more torque on the frame than any of the self-leveling systems that want me to replace my landing gear. Have any of you set something like this up? Do you have a reccomended jack? I'd like to find some that could support about 7k or 8k pounds each that I can activate with a manual switch.
Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the folks at Equalizer Systems in Elkhart, Ia. They installed their 6pt hydraulic system on our rv. I bet they can add 2or 4 more jacks & a controller to make system "autolevel ". Bullfrog makes some electric levelors you could add to the frame at the back.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you know you won’t bend the frame when you start to lift the 5er from some point not designed for that purpose?

nedhead8233

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks sayoung. I did reach out to them and got the response below. If I can't integrate into their auto-level system, I'd prefer to go electric instead of adding another hydrolic system.
From their support:
I have a question first, are you wanting to integrate the rear jacks and the front jacks and run them all from one control system? If so then you will have to purchase a full 4 point leveling system from us. We can’t integrate with jacks from another system. If you are good with what you have and only want to replace the rear 2 jacks and are ok with just running those off of a control system, then we do have 2 point systems that we could sell you.

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion, stick with hydraulic. More than enough power to autolevel front to back, and side to side, and the controller make them all operate in sync, IOW, if it calls to level side to side, all 3 jacks on that side operate together. What you describe would torque the frame if not all operating in unison.

As for electric jacks, my buddy had them on his prior 5th. They didnt have enough lift capacity to level, only to stabilize.

It is odd to me, that a RV builder wouldnt go to 6 point hydraulic leveling if they already had front hydraulic jacks and presumably hydraulic slides as well.

Might check out lippert's system.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nedhead8233 wrote:

Thanks sayoung. I did reach out to them and got the response below. If I can't integrate into their auto-level system, I'd prefer to go electric instead of adding another hydrolic system.
From their support:
I have a question first, are you wanting to integrate the rear jacks and the front jacks and run them all from one control system? If so then you will have to purchase a full 4 point leveling system from us. We can’t integrate with jacks from another system. If you are good with what you have and only want to replace the rear 2 jacks and are ok with just running those off of a control system, then we do have 2 point systems that we could sell you.

It maybe the travel length of your existing piston . Your or their shop can change the existing jacks and go a complete 4 or 6 pt. System. Our rv is 35 ft and I went with 6pt and glad I spent the difference. We drove from Tx to Elkhart and they installed in their shop. We r retired so it was a nice trip.
I can pick the entire rv off the ground. You can raise/lower front individually and control side to side or front to back.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djousma wrote:

My opinion, stick with hydraulic. More than enough power to autolevel front to back, and side to side, and the controller make them all operate in sync, IOW, if it calls to level side to side, all 3 jacks on that side operate together. What you describe would torque the frame if not all operating in unison.

As for electric jacks, my buddy had them on his prior 5th. They didnt have enough lift capacity to level, only to stabilize.

It is odd to me, that a RV builder wouldnt go to 6 point hydraulic leveling if they already had front hydraulic jacks and presumably hydraulic slides as well.

That's because your buddy had electric =stabilizers=, not electric =jacks=. Basically, he had what amounts to the old scissor jacks, but with an electric motor on them to save cranking them down. Electric jacks, OTOH, are true jacks, with plenty of lifting power. My 10.5GVW KZ can be lifted completely off the ground with the 4 jacks of the 4-point leveling system.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add a complete auto level system if it all possible. I just push the auto level button and the system does all the work. Couldn't be easier.

If you add separate rear jacks then it will be difficult to level side to side. If you can't adjust each front jack by itself you will get the rear level side to side but never the front. I think that this might put unwanted stress on the frame.

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

twinstick

Ball Ground, Ga

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy the Lippert 3.0 compete system from etrailer. It doesn't look too bad to install. I've looked at it, just can't quite pull the trigger on it yet.

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

djousma wrote:

That's because your buddy had electric =stabilizers=, not electric =jacks=. Basically, he had what amounts to the old scissor jacks, but with an electric motor on them to save cranking them down. Electric jacks, OTOH, are true jacks, with plenty of lifting power. My 10.5GVW KZ can be lifted completely off the ground with the 4 jacks of the 4-point leveling system.

Lyle

Lyle,

It was the lippert 3.0 ground control 4 point leveling system. IOW, the front legs, plus 2 additional behind the wheels. And I know what lippert publishes (20K capacity), but for whatever reason on his KZ Durango Gold(weighed in at about 16K) they just were not up to the task.

$3500 for GC 3.0 6-point vs about $6000 for 6-point hydraulic. Quite a price to pay after the fact.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Add leveling jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.