cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing something?

Paullawrence123
Explorer
Explorer
So over the past several months been looking in to a small toy hauler looked at several recently drove 2 hours to gander mountain I had call about 2 units I’d like to see I get there apparently were to to busy to really go over things I still spent about hour an half looking over 3 toy haulers sales person took about 5mins tops to talk with us went to another dealer found what I think was the best fit for us looked it over asked questions all went well filled out a credit app an was told give me few days ? Seems I’m getting brushed off not sure why never purchased from a dealer is this normal tactics
16 REPLIES 16

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone into rv dealers when I had the Dodge dually with the 5th wheel hitch and got "brushed off" sort off. Gone back a few days later with the Harley and they almost broke their necks trying to get to me. I guess they figure if you have toys you got money.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Paullawrence123
Explorer
Explorer

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you got what you wanted.

If you show up and say “I’m just looking right now” then you prob won’t make it any further with a salesman.

Not saying that’s the case here. But I say that all the time when I want to be left alone.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

dedmiston
Paullawrence12345 wrote:
Well after some time we towed our new trailer home yesterday been little interesting but all worked out great deal on the camper an the financing day after bringing it home both dealers Contacted me to come back in an take a look 19 days later not sure maybe just don’t fit the typical type of person thay look for

Congratulations. Let's see some baby pictures and a floorplan.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Paullawrence123
Explorer
Explorer
Well after some time we towed our new trailer home yesterday been little interesting but all worked out great deal on the camper an the financing day after bringing it home both dealers Contacted me to come back in an take a look 19 days later not sure maybe just don’t fit the typical type of person thay look for

CA_STORM
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is they wanted a few days to see if they could get you financed, when they found out the couldn't they don't want to spend their time with someone they can;t sell to.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
You at least got 5 minutes with a salesperson. I walked into Camping World in Lowell Arkansas with an appointment and sat for an hour before I went out on the lot myself to look around and then left (along with my $75,000 check in my pocket). Salesman calls me two days later wanting to know why I left after only an hour, really? I get how someone can get busy but he could have taken 1 minute to come out and say he was tied up and would be a while. That I can deal with but not totally ignored. Another dealer down the road was very happy to see me and my check, even bought me lunch. Guess who gets my business from now on?
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Not all sales people are competent and not all dealerships are well run. If you don't think your getting the service you deserve, tell the sales person you want to speak to someone else. You aren't there to be their friend, you are there to spend money. Assuming that is that you are ready to actually put money on the table.

Probably 95% of people that show up on a dealer lot on any given day are there just to look and see what is available. They aren't serious buyers (at least yet) and so the staff perform a triage to try to figure out who are the 5% that are serious about buying and who the 95% are that are just looking around. If you don't give off the vibe that your willing and able to close a deal that day, you probably just got categorized into the wrong group.

The couple of times I have gone to a dealership with just the intention of looking, I tell the sales rep so they don't waste time trying to give me the hard sell. I'll come back two or three times and they will know when I'm ready to wheel and deal.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
caver wrote:
This financial guy on an old pop-up forum I frequented said it best "pay cash for toys."

Depends how you manage your money. My loan was 4.5% on my travel trailer. Meanwhile I am making 11% interest on my stocks and mutual funds.

A lower interest loan leaves money fluid in bank accounts or stocks to pull in emergencies, as well as netting positive interest if you have the right investments.

My rule of thumb is to never borrow more than I would have paid cash for something. Then I get a loan and keep that money making money.

And depending on your situation, you can write off the interest on the loan on your taxes as sometimes it's considered a "second home".
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
This financial guy on an old pop-up forum I frequented said it best "pay cash for toys."

Depends how you manage your money. My loan was 4.5% on my travel trailer. Meanwhile I am making 11% interest on my stocks and mutual funds.

A lower interest loan leaves money fluid in bank accounts or stocks to pull in emergencies, as well as netting positive interest if you have the right investments.

My rule of thumb is to never borrow more than I would have paid cash for something. Then I get a loan and keep that money making money.

caver
Nomad
Nomad

Paullawrence123
Explorer
Explorer
All the places we been had my two kids an my wife with me looking just seems like there not real interested in selling

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Were you solo or did you have your SO with you? I am guessing more times than not, if your solo they may think you are just shopping and not serious.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
When we were purchasing our new trailer last year we found out how they're screening potential buyers. They send out their "greeter" who is a jr. salesperson. He then screens the potential buyer, if he/she thinks they're "serious" they go get the "expert" in that genre (ie Phil is an expert on fifth wheels, he can answer all your questions). You may never have got pas the greeter.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX