cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clingmans Dome and Cades Cove Smoky Mountains

Forcedlanding
Explorer
Explorer
New to RV ing. We have just bought a new 28 ft class C and are planning our first trip. I have driven large trucks and pulled trailers for over 40 years so I have large rig experience. This class c drives just like a small box truck. I have been to the Smokys in a car before but can not find anyone that has drove there rig up to Clingmans Dome or thru Cades Cove loop. Just curious if anyone has made those drives. I have all the park rules and maps from the ranger station, And know the rv restricted routes.
14 REPLIES 14

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The road to the dome is skinny. Be extra careful if you go. The views are great up there.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Forcedlanding
Explorer
Explorer
Well back home now, it was a great shake down for us newbies first trip in a motorhome. Everyone's advice was right on. Thank you. Cades Cove, the grandkids like to sleep in so around 5am I unhooked from the campsite and headed for the Cove. I went in at Townsend on 321 and stopped at a pull off on Laurel Creek road and woke everyone up . I was surprised they slept thru the drive. We all enjoyed our breakfast by the creek with the sound of the water. I also discovered this is why I wanted a class c. So nice to pick your view. We finally got to see some bears in the Cove, And as some others stated the low hanging limbs are a problem. We went real early and the traffic was low so no backups. Our next challenge was Clingmans Dome. So off to Laurel Creek road, stopped at the Sinks then Little River Gorge road to Sugarlands Visitor center. that was the hardest drive with the outcroppings and the tight turns. We took 441 Newfound Gap road from Sugarlands to Clingmans Dome road. A few switchbacks and tight turns as we worked our way up to the higher elevations. The parking is almost impossible and very congested. Patience is the key lots of people leaving and arriving. We circled twice but found a spot you do have to get creative. We did feel out of place being the only RV up there. We drove thru Gatlinburg about 5 times. No issues but a lot of traffic we parked at the Welcome center and the took a trolley. Big mistake. Almost a hour and a half. While on the trolley I noticed a place that had rv parking about 2/10ths of a mile from the action. Go figure oh well next time. So what did I learn as a newbie.

1: Campgrounds are ok but some spots are just to close for me. Don't get me wrong I like people. And we met some great people.

2: In the future I will pick spots that have stay limits to avoid the homesteaders. Not that they are bad or anything. And once again we met some great people.

3.New motorhomes are great but not put together very well, make sure you check them over good and I found its better to just fix the minor stuff yourself and avoid the dealers. Even if its warranty work. I had a weld break on a tail pipe guard. And after inspecting I removed the clamps at a rest stop and the welds were horrible so when I got home I cleaned them up at rewelded the shield. Also I found on the dinette set all the screws missed the backing studs. I installed a new backer. Also they wanted extra to install the GPS on my Jenson radio I found the antenna kit taped to the back of the radio unit. So I installed it myself it comes with the radio, they just up charge you to install it.

Over all it was a great week.

2019 Freelander 27qb over a Chevy 4500 chassis

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Elkmont with my cabover. The Little River trail going upstream would be great for the kids. Easy walking, wide trail.
If you do the Cades Cove road they close it a couple mornings a wweek for bicycles only. Ask about it.
Also if you get bummed out on the Cades Cove Road there is a shortcut to exit the loop, or actually just make it shorter.

We like Elvira's Cafe and Hillbillies Cafe in Wear Valley. Gatlinburg is a mess.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good choice. It is on the trolley route so just hop on that to go into town. It's cheap enough and supposed to run every 15 minutes but I can't attest to that. Look it up on line to see if it will serve your needs. I also looked on the map and found a Jeep rental place not far from where you will be staying. Can't hurt to call and see what they charge.

Forcedlanding
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying at Creek Side.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Where have you picked to camp? There are places that rent the 3 wheeled Slingshots to tool around in that look like a ton of fun. Park the rig at the campground and rent a jeep or other smaller vehicle to see the park. Even if you do take the C it is doable. Going east to west from Sugarlands visitor center is easier than west to east because the rock overhangs are mostly on that south side of the road where the westbound lane is closest to the river.

Forcedlanding
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much everyone, I truly appreciate all the great information.
We are new to camping but experienced travelers and have been to many countries and across a few oceans. This will be our shake down cruise with our grandkids LOL. They have traveled with us many times and I'm very excited to show them more of the great USA. We are excited about all the new adventures that await us and plan on wearing our new motorhome out with miles. Once I get all organized this week and head out on our first trip, I will post a brief trip report. Once again thanks for all the great experienced advice.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Been camping in the GSMNP for 50 years so have been there a time or two. While I've done 441 over Newfoundland Gap in cars, minivans, pickkups, 30' TT, and 35' FW, I currently have a truck camper that is 23' long and 10' 8" tall.

Have driven the Cades Cove loop many many times with it, even once when all the limbs were laiden with snow. Never had a problem but you do have to keep an eye out and go slowly when you do come to a low branch or move away from the trees. There will be plenty of places to park along the road with all the pull outs well graveled so near fear of getting stuck as long as you common sense. One of the things we love about the TC is when traffic gets crazy we just find the next spot we can pull off and then grab a snack or take a break for 10 minutes which is usually enough for the jam to clear. If you can go during the weekday and after school starts back in session you would do better. Stock up on food before you go and spend a couple of nights in the campground. Limited groceries in Townsend but enough to restock, plus the gas prices aren't usually bad at the IGA. I'll recommend the Trailhead Steakhouse for a meal or Black Bear Cafe for a sandwich or burger.

Little River road between Sugarlands and Cades Cove is a beautiful drive and easy in your rig.

Since you have big truck experience, you know about downshifting to increase the engine braking. It's even more important in the motorhome since the gas engine doesn't have anywhere near the braking of a diesel with exhaust brake. Don't worry about the traffic behind you, just use one of the many pull offs to let them around (this goes for downhill as well as uphill so you can use a lower gear). It's about 17 miles to Newfoundland gap, so watch you brakes, stop at one of the many pull offs to give them a chance to cool. I've smelt many hot brakes even in cars, but downshift to low gear and take your time you won't have any problems. I've come down the entire way in my gas truck only tapping the brakes a few times. If you go in the middle of the week after school has started, you will have a much more enjoyable ride. There is long vehicle parking at Clingmans Dome towards the end of the parking lot loop. The parking is also more level. The views aren't what they use to be due to the smog so for the best views, try to go within 24 hrs of a cold front going through the area (the stronger the cold front the better). It's a tough steep hike to the top so take your time and water to enjoy, but well worth it on a clear day.

Take your time and enjoy your trip. Feel free to PM if you want more info on the area.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am with others. Getting to Clingmans is OK, parking and getting thru the parking lot may be another issue.

Cades Cove loop is best done in a small car or Jeep type vehicle. Sometimes you can drive past a (pick one) bear, deer, horse, turkey jam and sometimes you might need to drop a wheel off the pavement to get past some of these guys who are amazed at the wildlife there. Parking for a small rig will be hard to find and get in/out of.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I drove my 32' long class C aroudn the Cades Cove loop. I made it, so it's possible, but I would not do that again or recommend it to you. There are many relatively low branches over the road, and many people pulling "off" the road here and there and leaving precious little room to get around them. The length wasn't too much the problem, but width and height and general maneuverability are challenges.

Parking at the visitor's center at the far end of the loop is entirely suitable for larger vehicles.

Cades Cove itself was well worth seeing.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Getting to Clingmans Dome won't be an issue, but parking will be, especially if it's busy, which it usually is.

It's difficult enough to find parking in Cades Cove for a car let alone a 28ft motor home. There is pretty good parking at the visitor's center that may be suitable.

Have you thought about renting a car for the duration of your trip? Lots of places to rent from in Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of tight turns on the park road with somewhat low overhang.... Have to watch for those and stay in the middle of the road to keep from dragging your roof line... Lots of big trucks use the park roads getting across the mtns...

We love camping at ELKMONT CAMP inside the park with our OFF-ROAD POPUP setup... Its an easy drive going to both of the places you mentioned but we are in our truck doing this...

When we camp at Elkmont we always go to TOWNSEND for groceries and supplies... Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is a very very busy town both day and night haha... Driving your CLASS C through both of those towns but especially Gatlinburg will not be much fun... Gatlinburg is a walking town with folks everywhere... We always give them the right-away even when they are not at cross walks.... Also Gatlinburg will not have a easy parking for your Class C... Can't just drive up and park at a store and get out to go visit it... Pigeon Forge on the other hand is not as bad for walking folks and in most cases you can park close to the store you want to visit... At Gatlinburg I would park in one of their parking lots and walk the town just like everyone else is doing ahaha... It even gets worse when school is out - big time...

Almost all of our camper roads go through Gatlinburg TN haha... Been doing it for years and years...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
We were there last year and saw a few very small Class C rentals, 22 ft so so, drive up to Clingmans Dome.
2010 Suncruiser

What is the length of the RV ?

I was there last year and believe that Clingmans Dome is fine getting to, just possibly an issue parking..

And Cades Cove was a tight road IF you go all the way in that may create an issue depending on the size....

A lot of people were pulling over at times to see wildlife, that would/could cause an issue for you driving the class C in Cades Cove
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet