cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A poll: What does 2 blinks of the left signal mean to you?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
You catch up to me on a two lane road. You can’t quite see far enough ahead to know if safe to pass, but I blink left signal 2 blinks on move to the extreme right of my lane. What am I doing?

1. Saying “safe to pass I will help you around” ?

2. Making fake gonna turn left signals like “brake checking” only different?

3. Trying to trick you into a fiery head on collision which I am videoing to sell to the news and u tube?
85 REPLIES 85

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
About 25 years age we were in Texas on a 2 lane road where the shoulder was as wide as a driving lane. They never used a turn signal, but would slow a little and pull onto the shoulder and let you pass. That’s the only place I’ve seen it done but it was nice to see people can be polite and help others and get nothing in return.
For those on here who are getting angry about someone doing this might want to take a look at themselves and figure out what is wrong with there own attitude.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do most do when the car in front of you puts on a right turn signal? I think most everybody looks at the left lane, prepares to pass.
Mostly I drive about 60. Most cars can gain speed from 60 so I take no action, other than crowd the right when no yellow line. A truck, OTOH, when I can see far enough, I will right signal, tap brake. When the truck steps to left I will brake, then flash headlight to signal back in.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
noteven wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

Sheeple with ‘magnetic bumper syndrome’, even on a multi lane highway they slide right up the back of the car ahead and just sit there, far too close for highway speed. They won’t pass even with nothing in the left lane. Just drive along mesmerized by the back of the next car.

You got that right.

Makes driving so much easier, just take short glances away from the phone and let others determine speed and direction. About as close as you can get to self driving vehicles.

Lynnmor, that is so true, although I don't text and drive. We have a a couple of new cars with the technology including distance control, lane control, side mirror warnings, etc. I let the cruise determine our speed compared to the car in front of me.

Even the Prevost will limit my distance. I like the new techy stuff.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

Sheeple with ‘magnetic bumper syndrome’, even on a multi lane highway they slide right up the back of the car ahead and just sit there, far too close for highway speed. They won’t pass even with nothing in the left lane. Just drive along mesmerized by the back of the next car.

You got that right.

Makes driving so much easier, just take short glances away from the phone and let others determine speed and direction. About as close as you can get to self driving vehicles.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
noteven wrote:
Well you drivers who close up and tailgate but don’t pass, or tailgate 2 or 3 tailgaters thereby creating a 400 ft long parade no one can pass should quit that habit. There eventually is an impatient driver who chances it and goofs it and there is braking and evasive manoeuvers that are totally unnecessary.

Sheeple.

You got that right.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Have been driving for 60 years. Do not remember anyone using the 2 blinks of left turn signal.

But with the older cars before computers several blinks often meant you still had your signal flashing from the last turn you made.

I have had truckers flash their headlights when I am passing with a trailer in tow to let me know it was safe to pull back into the right lane. Not sure I would even trust that in today's world.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Any light on a vehicle, steady or blinking, means only one thing IMO: The light works!
Here in Montana (see MCA 61-8-311) you are required to pull off the road at the first available safe place if there are 4 or more vehicles behind you. On twisty mountain roads what is described here will be ignored by many of us. If you are going slow, and pull off at a safe place, we thank you, and we'll wave as we go by.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:

a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

Looks like the normal speed is what all you folks behind me are doing since we all are going the same speed. 😛

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread. I had never heard of the left two-blink signal. I have some trucker friends, I'm going to ask them if they use it or have heard of it.

These days, as someone posted earlier, so many vehicles have a 3 blink "passing" signal available by a quick touch of the blinker control that I wouldn't trust a two-blink signal as allowing a following vehicle to pass. I would assume someone just touched their turn signal quickly and is about to, or already, pulling out to change lanes.

What is a shame these days is that most truckers don't seem to flash their running lights much anymore signaling "thank you" when you let them pass or pull in. When I first started pulling our camper - not that long ago, 15 years - truckers would routinely say "thank you" with their running lights. I kinda miss it now!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
seaeagle2 wrote:

Guess you don't live in Washington State, "Delay of 5 motor vehicles is prohibited". On some two lane state highways, they post signs as a reminder.
RCW 46.61.427
Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.
On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

No, I live in Mo. Most of our hiways are open enough to allow passing without forcing anybody to stop. And most places to pull off are private property. The only issue we have is so many drivers never understand the concept. If you want to drive 5 MPH faster than another, left signal, tap the horn, step left and drop the hammer. (If I see a left turn signal, I'm expecting you to make the step. If you don't then I assume you are close to your turn, and back off and hope you will get out of my way.) The rolling roadblock happens when somebody will not pass, or leave room for the one behind to pass you, and drop back in.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
Well you drivers who close up and tailgate but don’t pass, or tailgate 2 or 3 tailgaters thereby creating a 400 ft long parade no one can pass should quit that habit. There eventually is an impatient driver who chances it and goofs it and there is braking and evasive manoeuvers that are totally unnecessary.

Sheeple.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
In my state there is no law posted that the people behind me have a right to drive faster than I am. But we do have a law that states "All trucks, busses, and vehicles pulling trailers must maintain 300 ft intervals." This, if it was self-enforced, would help move traffic on 2 lane roads. What I mean is if you don't know your stuff well enough to pass the car in front of you, and there is not room between you and that car for somebody to drop in and match speed, then you are the one obstructing traffic.

Guess you don't live in Washington State, "Delay of 5 motor vehicles is prohibited". On some two lane state highways, they post signs as a reminder.
RCW 46.61.427
Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.
On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for your replies everyone.

A couple notes I did not detail in the first post:

This 2 blink “take a look” signal is never used approaching a road junction. That would be confusing.
It is never used if I can’t see far enough ahead.
It is always received with a “thank you” wave or honk or blink of the 4 ways as the other person passes.
I always use turnouts - I am not a slow driver but I am not in a rush - let the people go - I ride motorcycles and wonder why cars and rvs drive by turnout after turnout while me and 7 other cars, bikes, and loaded trucks parade along behind.
California, desert drivers, bikes, trucks, and Canadians (in no particular order) seem to figger it out. Sometimes they go “what’s he doing?” and miss the first chance then are ready when the next chance is indicated and motor on past.
Why do this? Well you drivers who close up and tailgate but don’t pass, or tailgate 2 or 3 tailgaters thereby creating a 400 ft long parade no one can pass should quit that habit. There eventually is an impatient driver who chances it and goofs it and there is braking and evasive manoeuvers that are totally unnecessary.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
PenMan wrote:

I do this except for the right signal. I just pull to the right but maintain my speed if I think it is safe for them to pass so they can see past me. If I can't see far enough ahead then I stay out in my lane.

+1 move right when you think it's clear and let them make their move.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold