Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda generator repair/replace?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I have a Honda EU3000i generator that has served me very well for 13+ years. Including running my household for 11 days during a winter storm.

Unfortunately in a moment of impatience I broke it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

It fell off of the rack when I rounded a corner. Found it lying on its side in the ditch still running. I shut it down and carried it back to camp. I looked it over and checked the oil level. It looked OK so I started it up. It seemed fine other than some road rash and a broken trim piece.

It ran fine for about 8 hours before I shut it down for the night. It started fine the next morning and ran for about 4 hours and abruptly stopped. I checked fuel and oil. All OK.

Started it up and it was not right. It runs at a very slow speed constantly. Eco-throttle setting makes no difference.

It sounds like one of the old Lister 6/1 engines. Pop....... Pop..... Pop..... Pop....

Suspecting a fuel problem, I removed the air filter and tried squirting a bit of WD40 into the carb expecting the engine to speed up. It did not.

It starts easily but will not run properly and nothing I have tried ha made any difference.

Any Honda guru's in the house? Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

As I will be needing another generator later this year, I thought that I would go ahead and buy another one to use while I am working on the Honda. Unfortunately, my budget will no longer support the purchase of a new Honda.

My big concerns about a new one are physical size, quiet and the ability to run my 1990 vintage roof air.

After much research I ordered a Champion from FactoryPure.com.

Well.... They screwed up the order and are being real butheads about it.

I am going camping on Thursday and need a generator. I have been looking locally and all I have found so far are 2000 watt generators from Craftsman, Westinghouse and Harbor Freight.

Do any of you have any experience with these? Will they support my roof air?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
16 REPLIES 16

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Does the 3000i have an eco mode? if so do the RPM's increases if your turn the mode off?

Maybe try pulling the carburetor off and manually move the the throttle butterfly with your finger then reassemble. On my 2000i I had a problem where the stepper was stuck after cleaning the carb and I had to move the butterfly give it a bit of help to get it going again.

I would also check or replace the spark plug as there could be a problem with it and they're cheap.

Yes it has eco mode. It does not make any difference.

I will try exercising the butterfly.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Does the 3000i have an eco mode? if so do the RPM's increases if your turn the mode off?

Maybe try pulling the carburetor off and manually move the the throttle butterfly with your finger then reassemble. On my 2000i I had a problem where the stepper was stuck after cleaning the carb and I had to move the butterfly give it a bit of help to get it going again.

I would also check or replace the spark plug as there could be a problem with it and they're cheap.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
Any thoughts on replacing the carburetor?

Rarely does a carb need replaced, just carefully disassemble and clean. There are YouTube videos and online instructions to do this simple job.

I do see that a stepper motor is available separately, but a complete assembly is about the same price. If you think that the stepper motor is bad, then buy the carb assembly.

Did you inspect the wiring shown in the previously mentioned video?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it is a matter of cleaning. The generator was running fine then suddenly stopped. I can restart it but it never comes up to speed. No power output and is sounds like an old Lister. Pop..... Pop..... Pop..... Pop

It was suggested previously that it may be a broken throttle linkage. Well... There does not seem to be a throttle linkage. The butterfly is connected directly to a stepper motor.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

Rarely does a carb need replaced, just carefully disassemble and clean. There are YouTube videos and online instructions to do this simple job.

I do see that a stepper motor is available separately, but a complete assembly is about the same price. If you think that the stepper motor is bad, then buy the carb assembly.

Did you inspect the wiring shown in the previously mentioned video?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input on the 2k's.

Also for the direction to look at the throttle. I "think" the stepper motor for the throttle is part of the carberator assembly. Do you think replacing the carburetor to "shotgun" the problem is a good idea?

Thanks again.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You'll need 2 2ks to comfortably run your air. If you can't find parallel cables I'll tell you how to make your own for about $25.

Your Honda served you well. Too bad you don't want to afford another,..

Thank you for sharing that.

I did not know any better and have been running my roof air from it with no issues for 13 years.

It is disappointing that I cannot afford a new Honda.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO the money spent on a POS replacement should have went towards repairing you "Ol Faithful".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a throttle problem. There is no throttle linkage. As mentioned above, the throttle is controlled by a stepper motor. Some possibilities:
  • Throttle plate is stuck
  • Stepper motor is bad
  • Broken or shorted wire
  • A connector came unplugged
  • Problem with circuit board
Here's a link to a YouTube video that may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gojKRT-YRdQ
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

map40
Explorer
Explorer
You lost the linkeage from the throttle control to the throttle. The rngine is idleing Look for a metal wire that conects to the engine throttle or look for the engine throttle. If you find the throttle and you move it and the engine accelerates means the linkeage is disconected or not be moved.
On another note, the HF 3500W is not bad. I have 2 of them, bought the 2 years extended warranty, at 1 year 11 months I brought them in and they gave me 2 new ones, no questions asked. I bought the extended warranty again and they told me "See you in 1 year and 11 months!"
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I priced internals for an in-frame overhaul it was a pure acid stomach experience. Personally, I would opt for a diagnosis and repair estimate for the described malfunction.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it's still running many hours later, likely not an issue of the motor not getting oil while on it's side burning up the motor.

Likely a carb/throttle issue. Might see if there is a generator place that can look at it. Could be a simple fix.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Might only be a cracked spark plug.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Eco throttles on every inverter genny are all basically the same. It's a stepper motor that controls the throttle opening. Squirting WD40 in the intake does nothing but maybe foul the plug.

Finally, no 2k genny will run your ac. You need 2500-3000 watts.

I have a Champ and the HF unit. Both are good units, lot less cost than a Honda too.

I have to ask why the genny was running when it fell off the truck
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB