cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie RV guy, maybe

Third_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
So I have just returned from a motorcycle camping trip to Alaska. 1 3/4 months living in a tent, but sometimes motels. Lots of stories, I am still hyped. I want to go back.

BUT - after befriending many campers, the RV guys seem to have it figured out. ??

So I have an F-150 4x4, newish, with V-8 motor. I am kicking around ideas about an in-bed camper (low profile pop up) and pulling an enclosed trailer for bikes.... OR a purpose built Toy Hauler. But my little truck ... ??

I donโ€™t know if I can live with lack of motility and ability to get off the beaten path with my gear, as I did with my r1200gsa bike camping.

Advise and experience welcomed!
5 REPLIES 5

realter
Explorer
Explorer
What did you decide?

Third_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Great answers and ideas posted by all. Thanks so much for the advice . You guys know exactly what I am looking for.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We full time in a 43โ€™ TH and have almost completed the lower 48. For Alaska we are also contemplating buying a in bed-camper to go in our F-350, tow our bike on a trailer and leave our TH in the lower 48. Less wear and tear and greater mobility. I think youโ€™re on the right track!
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Bedlam
Another option is to convert an enclosed trailer with some camping amenities but have enough room for your bike. Using an over deck model will give you greater frame clearance and mobility is not bad if you keep it short. You can now camp in the rough and still explore further on single track before returning to your campsite.

Look for something like a 12x6 or 14x7 single axle with oversized wheels.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I was SINGLE and looking for challenging places to camp and ride my adventure bike, I would prefer a light weight truck camper and tow my single bike on a strong frame open trailer. Adventure bikes are not garage queens and don't need a heavy enclosed trailer to keep them out of the weather. A bumper wench on the truck would be a very good investment. Let your adventure buddies provide their own housing.

If I wanted to share my adventure with a riding buddy (or two), I would look toward a small toy hauler that can handle two bikes. However, the weight and size of the TH will limit your camping to established CGs.

You may want to post this question in the truck camper and toy hauler forums for more suggestions.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40