cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 2020 Grand Design Momentum G-Class 29G

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
This looks like a new bumper pull toy hauler from GD. Nice setup with an 11' garage, 2nd bath, everything accessible with the slide in and a length under 34'.

I am not a fan of the slide in the porch area, but it seems like a decent compromise considering all you get under 34'.

Any thoughts on a Toy hauler bumper pull of this length? My quad bunk is approx the same exact length. It works well because my Driveway is exactly 34' long which means I can put this camper on my driveway and not hang over the sidewalk.

I was looking at 5th wheels, but my truck isn't prepped for one yet and I like my truck cap. However, I have heard toy haulers of this length in a bumperpull can be difficult to tow from the added weight at the back. Any thoughts on this? My QB pulls fine with my Ram 2500. My rental F250 struggled with sway.

If I do 5th wheel I am leaning towards the Nitro 29DK5 (38') and Carbon 337 (36')
22 REPLIES 22

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
The 29G has a GVW of 12,000 lbs. Seems most come in weighing around 9200 lbs. with generator. That leaves 2800lbs of CCC. @ 1000 gallons of water, that's about 800 lbs alone. All ready to camp probably another 800 lbs leaves about 1200 lbs of CCC. We make 40 gallons work now, so probably carry 60 gallons at most usually which gives me 200 lbs back.

1400 lbs isn't much, but enough for a golf cart or my Harley. It is a tow-behind so there are sacrafices. Total CCC is one of the compromises. I don't have a 2000 lb side by side so it doesn't matter. If I did, I would have to travel with no water to make up the difference.

I have city water at home so I am a little snobby on bringing my own fresh water. You don't have to clean out the lines or bleach them as bad as well water which gets pretty gross after being left for several months at a time.

Did you have a sway bar on the wolfpack 30wp? I don't want to turn this into a truck war, but I had a loaner F250 last month and the suspension was way softer than my Ram 2500. I really struggled keeping it in the lane on the expressway, even with the bars at full crank. The Ram really has no problem towing without the sway bars on. I only hook them up when I plan on interstate towing. Truck makes a big different. A 5th wheel takes a lot of the drama out of towing. It comes with a price and sacrifices though.

dsrace wrote:

yes i did have a 12k load leveling hitch with 2 sway control bars. i also added shock absorbers and dexter ezflex to the axles. stepped up from factory 8 ply to 10 ply tires and added air bags to the truck. truck had front and rear sway bars also. prob was that trailer had to much tounge weight loaded or empty. imo it should've been a tri axle or a spread axle atleast.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I like my truck cap. I have had fold up covers in the past and you just can't fit as much in them. I would just pull the cap whenever I have was towing. It would just be another thing to prep. However, I do have to install the 5th wheel prep kit and power connection. It's not a big deal, just another thing to do though.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would not want to tow a TT that is close to 30'. Especially since towing a 5er.

"prepping" for a fifth wheel is not big deal. Why do you need the truck cap? If to just keep stuff dry might look at a folding tonneau cover, you can fold it partially back and still put some stuff under the front, won't be perfectly dry but keep the rain off.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
The 29G has a GVW of 12,000 lbs. Seems most come in weighing around 9200 lbs. with generator. That leaves 2800lbs of CCC. @ 1000 gallons of water, that's about 800 lbs alone. All ready to camp probably another 800 lbs leaves about 1200 lbs of CCC. We make 40 gallons work now, so probably carry 60 gallons at most usually which gives me 200 lbs back.

1400 lbs isn't much, but enough for a golf cart or my Harley. It is a tow-behind so there are sacrafices. Total CCC is one of the compromises. I don't have a 2000 lb side by side so it doesn't matter. If I did, I would have to travel with no water to make up the difference.

I have city water at home so I am a little snobby on bringing my own fresh water. You don't have to clean out the lines or bleach them as bad as well water which gets pretty gross after being left for several months at a time.

Did you have a sway bar on the wolfpack 30wp? I don't want to turn this into a truck war, but I had a loaner F250 last month and the suspension was way softer than my Ram 2500. I really struggled keeping it in the lane on the expressway, even with the bars at full crank. The Ram really has no problem towing without the sway bars on. I only hook them up when I plan on interstate towing. Truck makes a big different. A 5th wheel takes a lot of the drama out of towing. It comes with a price and sacrifices though.

dsrace wrote:
i pulled a wolf pack 30wp sometime back with a f250 diesel. i WILL NEVER do that again. it was 35' overall in length and rated as half ton towable by forest river!! that thing was 1 ton dually only imo. with a f350 dually why anyone would go with anything less than a fifth wheel or gooseneck is beyond me. i sold mine and went to a wolf pack 295 fifth wheel on the same truck and it was a night and day difference!same length and weight or really close. now maybe if i had purchased a hensley anti sway hitch then it might have been better. either way 25 mph gusting side winds would put me in the other lane where with the fiver i can hold perfectly fine in 45 mph gusting side winds!

i too have been looking at the momentum toyhaulers by grand design but the fifthweel models. they look pretty good overall. the real issue with there line of toyhaulers is they are not meant to carry much weight! look at the ccc rating very closely and you'll see that a built 2 seat sxs plus a few spare parts and tools puts you dangerously close if not over gvwr and you haven't even added food or close yet. i actually contacted them and said they are 1000 lbs short on ccc ( info in this link https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/cargo-carrying-capacity.htm ) in there toyhaulers. they said most don't know there toy's weight as i do and finished by saying that model just wouldn't be a good fit for myself lol so make sure you know the loaded weight of your toyahuler (th'er) before deciding on a bumper pull model. not sure what toys you are hauling but the 1000 sxs models are all 1500 lbs to 2000 lbs depending on options and 4 seats a bit more. you beat something relentless and you'll need a couple parts and tools so 2500 lbs for a turbo 2 seat built or turbo 4 seat and parts plus tools isn't to far off. doesn't matter if you travel with a full tank of water or not as it should still be rated for it in case you have to drive down the road to get water when you get there. having looked at MANY toyhaulers now, i see that most do not have the ccc for anything more than 1 fully dressed road bike like a harly or gold wing, a golf cart or a couple quads. pacific coach builds for offroaders but have limited floor plans. weekend warriors were king of the toyhaulers for finish and gvwr. if grand design were to step up the ccc they may be one of the top ones but i doubt that happens.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
i pulled a wolf pack 30wp sometime back with a f250 diesel. i WILL NEVER do that again. it was 35' overall in length and rated as half ton towable by forest river!! that thing was 1 ton dually only imo. with a f350 dually why anyone would go with anything less than a fifth wheel or gooseneck is beyond me. i sold mine and went to a wolf pack 295 fifth wheel on the same truck and it was a night and day difference!same length and weight or really close. now maybe if i had purchased a hensley anti sway hitch then it might have been better. either way 25 mph gusting side winds would put me in the other lane where with the fiver i can hold perfectly fine in 45 mph gusting side winds!

i too have been looking at the momentum toyhaulers by grand design but the fifthweel models. they look pretty good overall. the real issue with there line of toyhaulers is they are not meant to carry much weight! look at the ccc rating very closely and you'll see that a built 2 seat sxs plus a few spare parts and tools puts you dangerously close if not over gvwr and you haven't even added food or close yet. i actually contacted them and said they are 1000 lbs short on ccc ( info in this link https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/cargo-carrying-capacity.htm ) in there toyhaulers. they said most don't know there toy's weight as i do and finished by saying that model just wouldn't be a good fit for myself lol so make sure you know the loaded weight of your toyahuler (th'er) before deciding on a bumper pull model. not sure what toys you are hauling but the 1000 sxs models are all 1500 lbs to 2000 lbs depending on options and 4 seats a bit more. you beat something relentless and you'll need a couple parts and tools so 2500 lbs for a turbo 2 seat built or turbo 4 seat and parts plus tools isn't to far off. doesn't matter if you travel with a full tank of water or not as it should still be rated for it in case you have to drive down the road to get water when you get there. having looked at MANY toyhaulers now, i see that most do not have the ccc for anything more than 1 fully dressed road bike like a harly or gold wing, a golf cart or a couple quads. pacific coach builds for offroaders but have limited floor plans. weekend warriors were king of the toyhaulers for finish and gvwr. if grand design were to step up the ccc they may be one of the top ones but i doubt that happens.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to build and price, it's a $4,505 option for a 4KW onan generator.

You can also add a 2nd AC, but with 30 amps I don't think you can run both at the same time...

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a generator listed anywhere in the literature

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Now that they are starting to hit the dealers there are more videos online of them. I am starting to wonder how tight that front bedroom is, in person. With the bed on a slide, the mattress actually folds to accommodate the room. I have to question how comfortable that mattress will be if it has to fold. Also, the TV location seems a bit goofy compared to where the seats are. We don't watch much tv though, so that's not a deal breaker.

DW says we aren't in the bedroom much so it doesn't matter that much on how large the bed space is. Another benefit to the 29G is the height is only listed at 12'4". Not sure how accurate that is. I have seen some manufactuers giving a fudge factor for bridge clearances. If it's slightly less I might be able to get it into my warehouse without any modification to my door (12' clear). Otherwise I have to keep it in my dock.

I am still going back and forth on the 5th wheel. I kind of like the Momentum 320G now. My local dealer has one in stock so maybe we will check it out.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
RoyBell wrote:
Yea, I doubt anyone would let me roll one around the block, but who knows. $60K MSRP is a lot of dough to throw down at a trailer that tows terribly. It looks like it would tow pretty good though, especially with the generator sitting so far forward.

We looked at that Carbon last year and the bathroom between the garage and living area was a major deal breaker. Even saw one where the bathroom was between the front bedroom and living area. Who thought these were good ideas?

See and I liked the bathroom location because if we had people staying with us in the garage area, they didn't have to walk all the way up next to our bedroom to use the bathroom at night (and the noise of the toilet flushing etc didn't wake us up). Different strokes I guess 🙂

That's a good point. However, if you have multiple kids staying in the garage and someone is in the bathroom, then they will be fighting to get through or going outside the camper to get back into the main living area.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
Yea, I doubt anyone would let me roll one around the block, but who knows. $60K MSRP is a lot of dough to throw down at a trailer that tows terribly. It looks like it would tow pretty good though, especially with the generator sitting so far forward.

We looked at that Carbon last year and the bathroom between the garage and living area was a major deal breaker. Even saw one where the bathroom was between the front bedroom and living area. Who thought these were good ideas?

See and I liked the bathroom location because if we had people staying with us in the garage area, they didn't have to walk all the way up next to our bedroom to use the bathroom at night (and the noise of the toilet flushing etc didn't wake us up). Different strokes I guess 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer

dedmiston
RoyBell wrote:
So the wife seems to like the layout as well. We are going to try and locate one and see if they will let us drive it around with a load to see how it handles behind my truck.

I doubt you'll find a dealer who will cooperate. As a general rule, once you cross the curb, you bought it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
I am having a hard time finding a bumper pull with separate garage under 38'.

Looks like they have 6K lb axles and 12K GVWR so everything is rated properly. UVW on most of them are coming in around 9K lbs.

Our old one was exactly that, but it doesn't look like they make it anymore new. Found this 2018... https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Keystone-CARBON-27-5004234003

Positives were the layout with the separate garage and bathroom location. Negatives were how you had to crawl into the bed and lack of storage. 9' garage is on the small side too, but that's why it's only 31'.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
So the wife seems to like the layout as well. We are going to try and locate one and see if they will let us drive it around with a load to see how it handles behind my truck.

I doubt very much you'll find a dealer that will let you take a new, unsold trailer, load toys in it and tow it around, don't get your hopes up.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX