cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Impossible List of Requirement?

RKB
Explorer
Explorer
I have been searching online and this forum, but cannot find a unit that meets my ideal list of parameters. If anyone can point me to something like this, please let me know.

1) Less than 30'. 25'-27' would be great.
2) Over cab Queen + 2 singles or bunks in back (I have 2 kids)
3) 450 or 4500 (looking to have significant payload/trailer capacity)

I am willing to find a good condition older unit and renovate if the chassis is desirable. if Ford, 1992 or newer would be best for 4wd conversion per my research.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to look.
2014 Northern Lite 9-6 QSE
2005 F350 6.0 CC LB SRW
9 REPLIES 9

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
You can have extreme, a growing segment here in Australia, but not that practical in the US, maybe if travelling to South America. Camper element is about 5000lbs. Vehicle has Unimog like gearing

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RVs in Robert's two photos are the same construction style as the Tiger motorhome - with a coach area similar to that of a truck camper, but unlike a TC the coach is permanent and built right onto the the truck's frame.

Years ago those used to be called a "chassis mount" RV. Here's a 1969 2WD Chinook model built on a GMC 3500 that we had way back as our first RV:
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Four wheel drive Cs are aftermarket only...because they would make lousy off road vehicles...too low, too heavy, underpowered, too high, too wide etc.

I disagree and my Tiger proves it. However, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Not here, you can get a " Tiger Provan" type of rig, that are pretty comfortable on fairly rough off road tracks,as well as paved roads. Depends on what you want to do. Larger 2wd units are limited to mainly smooth dirt roads

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Four wheel drive Cs are aftermarket only...because they would make lousy off road vehicles...too low, too heavy, underpowered, too high, too wide etc.

I disagree too, with caveats ... as Class C off road capability depends upon 1) what one means by "off road", and 2) what type and construction quality of Class C one is talking about.

Most standard/classical Class C motorhomes (with an overhead cab queen bed) need to be converted to 4WD by an aftermarket shop, and it's best done on the Ford and Chevy chassis used for these kind of Class C motorhomes.

The Tiger motorhome is somewhat of a different type motorhome from the "standard/classical Class C" that most folks have in mind. Since it's built starting out on a pickup truck frame, it can be built onto OEM 4X4 setups from Ram, Chevy, or Ford by Provan Industries at construction time. As such, a Tiger motorhome built on one of these rugged OEM pickup chassis can make a very capable off-highway motorhome (superior to a truck camper, IMHO) - but their models probably are somewhat small from what the OP seems to have in mind (especially bunk beds in the back).

We take our small 24 foot overhead queen bed + rear queen bed Class C off-highway as needed for our exploring and drycamping rockhound hobby - but it does not have bunk beds in the rear like the OP prefers. We have great ground clearance with it's over-kill E450 Ford chassis with no low hanging generator parts, no low hanging tanks, no low hanging plumbing, no low hanging compartments, and no low hanging step mechanisms. Our coach's exterior wall edges in the rear are also up-swept starting right from the rear duals on towards the back bumper, so it's departure angle is a bit improved over that of most Class C motorhomes - for situations such as crossing of mild road washouts. All of the coach's heavy items are down low at chassis frame height for a low overall center of gravity even though the motorhome looks "overall tall" (but combined with the E450's wide rear stance for good lateral stability), most interior doors have double catches, all drawers have gravity locks, and we keep padding in between cabinet contents, and we do not have slides so as to maintain good wall structure strength (aluminum wall framing). We even some time ago changed out the stock tires for larger ones to provide more ground clearance.

Here's a couple of photos of our rig out in the desert boondocks - one camped, and one with us following our friend's Class C ahead of us:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:

I disagree and my Tiger proves it. However, I don't want to hijack this thread.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
RKB,

They are the last of the high quality makers.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RKB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tiger4x4RV. That 27' mid bath looks very nice!
2014 Northern Lite 9-6 QSE
2005 F350 6.0 CC LB SRW

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Lazy Daze Motorhomes has a floorplan similar to what you describe. The factory is near where I live and we see a lot of them, even older ones, on the road around here. They are built on a Ford chassis.

http://www.lazydaze.com/flrplans.htm
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad