cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 foot wide pleated blind help

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I have re-strung a narrow 2-string blind in my 5vr and it works absolutely perfectly. I am currently trying to repair the 74" wide by 45" high 4-string night-only rear window blind. I have re-strung it with proper string cross overs and played with the tension. I can only get it to raise about 10 inches and then it binds and the bottom rail seems to arch up in the middle. There is only one spring that all 4 cords are attached to. I have searched all over and most tech help is for day/night blinds. Also, all of the help and videos are on smaller blinds. Has anyone managed to get a large blind like this to work again? The DW says it used to work properly when new.
8 REPLIES 8

NOBLNG
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Once installed, it has to have a lot more tension on the bottom of the cords than you would expect. They have to be "guy-wire" tight.

Good crisp pleats help, but it should work.

What exactly is it doing (or NOT doing)?

Won't go up. Won't stay up. Goes up unevenly.

One of us will figure it out sooner or later!

OK...problem solved! It would only raise about 8" and then bind. I put a tiny drop of Tri-lube with Teflon on all of the bushings in the bottom channel and it opens and closes like a dream now! In all the videos I watched and forum posts I read, I never heard anyone recommend lubricating them.:h

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Once installed, it has to have a lot more tension on the bottom of the cords than you would expect. They have to be "guy-wire" tight.

Good crisp pleats help, but it should work.

What exactly is it doing (or NOT doing)?

Won't go up. Won't stay up. Goes up unevenly.

One of us will figure it out sooner or later!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an address sticker on it somepace? Our old coach had the same type of shade and was a sticker w/ company address on it (Indiana I think). Can always call them and inquire what's up or send back to for repair.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

NOBLNG
Explorer
Explorer
It is sitting out in the sun (compressed) now to dry out...hopefully the pleats will re-set. If it worked when new, I don't see why it won't work now? When it is dry I will re-mount it and see if it wants to fold properly. If it does I will add a spring and play with separate tensions a bit. I've got nothing to lose at this point and it is much easier fiddling with it in my garage than in the 5vr.

NOBLNG
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
My wife and I restrung our 6'-3" rear day/night. One spring. two packs of cord required to be sure you have plenty. Keep the pleats clamped together while working. Followed the U-Tube.

Just jump in and do it!

Re-stringing is the easy part.I have re-strung it already and can't get it to operate. I have set up a wooden framework in my garage that I have it mounted to. The only friction points that I see are the four plastic (nylon?)bushings where the cords enter the bottom channel, and the two where they exit the side caps. None of them appear to show excessive wear besides the one I replaced. The cords do not move...the bottom channel slides up and down on them.

The pleats in the blind have been slightly damaged by one of the chairs rubbing on them during transit and I had a b#^ch of a time getting it fully collapsed. I have compressed it and wetted it down in hopes of re-setting the pleats. The DW just came for Home Depot with a quote of $350.00 for a roller blind!:E

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I restrung our 6'-3" rear day/night. One spring. two packs of cord required to be sure you have plenty. Keep the pleats clamped together while working. Followed the U-Tube.

Just jump in and do it!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

NOBLNG
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I think there would be more responses with a Google search.

Thanks, but I have googled this with several re-phrasings of the inquiry, and the same generic videos and answers always pop up. I am hoping to hear from someone with experience fixing a very LARGE blind.
I wonder if switching to a 2-spring system in the top rail may work better? Also if 2 springs are used, would it be better to connect the 2 outside strings to the same spring...or one inner and one outer string to the same spring. One of these setups should provide a better balance of string tensions?
Time to experiment I guess!
Edit: Sorry folks, new username...I am the OP.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think there would be more responses with a Google search.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)