cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wind Noise

themoons
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still relatively new to the Class A scene. After about 4,000 miles on the road, I'm starting to wonder if the crazy loud wind noise around the windshield is normal. It is really loud on both sides of the windshield, so much so that my wife and I nearly have to yell to talk to each other. On our most recent trip, the sound was nearly completely eliminated when we had a strong tail wind, which made me think maybe we can get rid of it all the time. I just thought it was normal for a class A.

We are driving a Winnebago SunstarLX 35B. Any recommendations on what we can do would be very welcome.

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:

I seems pretty unlikely Winnebago built and test drove this model and said "wow it's so noisy in here you have to yell to be heard, Okay let's build a bunch oh these."

True but from my experience with campers this may be true too:

"It seems pretty unlikely Winnebago built and test drove this model."

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same model, although it's a 19. And I do not have that issue. Winnebago is one of the few A's which use a full metal cage up front and an automotive type windshield. (i.e., no gaskets). I think you might need a re-seal somewhere.
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. You can get ready for your hood to come unglued.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
You will probably have to caulk the noisy opening. i had to caulk around my windshield due to some delam right behind it. I use painters tape to tape over the weep holes at the bottom of the side windows. It makes a huge difference. I remove them in the rain and when I'm not traveling. The blue makes it eaier to remember to remove it.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

You ever driven a gasser on the F53? I've had three from different manufacturers - noise is part of the game. And I think manufacturers could care less if it's loud or how it rides or any real quality for that matter, as evidenced by the number of complaints and warranty work back ups.

Interesting. I have an '04 Itasca class A on the gasser workhorse chassis, and it is not loud at all, other than some engine noise when downshifted on a grade or when the fan clutch kicks in, but even then it's not bad. My wife and I have no problem holding a normal conversation while going 65mph.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

themoons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I did the testing with the tape and the noise is clearly being produced by wind passing by the side of the windshield and the frame. Taping up that seam helped immensely. The sad thing is it seems to be a terrible design flaw. I'll need to check with Winnebago and some windshield installers to see if there is a more permanent fix because I don't really want to drive around with masking tape on my windshield forever. Thanks all for the recommendations!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
themoons wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into the weep hole covers. We are missing one, but I don't think that is where the sound is coming from. It seems more like it is around the sides of the windshield. I think I might try the painters tape along the edge, but it could also be mirrors. I might see if those can be adjusted at all. It just seems ridiculous that they would expect you to have to yell at each other to talk in the front seats. The model is a 2016, so I don't think it is a rust issue.

I seems pretty unlikely Winnebago built and test drove this model and said "wow it's so noisy in here you have to yell to be heard, Okay let's build a bunch oh these."

You ever driven a gasser on the F53? I've had three from different manufacturers - noise is part of the game. And I think manufacturers could care less if it's loud or how it rides or any real quality for that matter, as evidenced by the number of complaints and warranty work back ups.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
themoons wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into the weep hole covers. We are missing one, but I don't think that is where the sound is coming from. It seems more like it is around the sides of the windshield. I think I might try the painters tape along the edge, but it could also be mirrors. I might see if those can be adjusted at all. It just seems ridiculous that they would expect you to have to yell at each other to talk in the front seats. The model is a 2016, so I don't think it is a rust issue.

I would tape up all the weep holes, the entire perimeter of the windshield and around the holes where the wiper arms go into the body. Then go drive it and see if anything changes.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
fishingbob61 wrote:
Put painters tape around the glass and see if the noise is gone, if so you need to work in that area.

On the F53 between the wind, engine noise, road noise and rattles, it's hard to have a conversation at normal levels.

themoons
Explorer
Explorer

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
Put painters tape around the glass and see if the noise is gone, if so you need to work in that area.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Are you sure it's from the windshield and not the mirrors or even the side windows? I had a similar issue and installed weep hole covers and it stopped a lot of the wind noise.

Bruce_Brown
What year is your Winnie? It's not uncommon to hear of rust issues with the windshield framework, allowing for excessive wind noise.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I can not speak directly about the noise in your unit. My ACE (and others) the wind noise was coming from the front grill. The way Thor configured it aloud for the noise. They (Thor) had to send out replace grill screens which stopped the noise. I also get a noise when it rains. Some of the strangest things go on with MH. I would check with the folks at the Winnebago forums.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly