cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel suspension question

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in the process of replacing the suspension system on a 2007 Jayco 38 footer due to broken equalizers and flat springs. Thanks Interstate Hwy System and it's current condition.
It had 4 dinky shock absorbers running from a bracket welded to the frame down to the bracket that the ubolts go thru to anchor the axle in place.
Should I even bother trying to find replacements anywhere? I had to cut them off they were so rusted. With 9k lbs on the axles I would be surprised if they ever did any good. Your opinions or facts welcome.
Puma 30RKSS
6 REPLIES 6

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input. I found the shocks on Amazon and I ordered them. I figure Jayco wouldn't have spent the money to install them originally if they didn't have a benefit.
I found 2 Monroe shocks for RVs, PNs 555001 and 555025. Some kits are also available as bolt ons. The 555001 is 8" compressed and 12" extended which are what I needed.
We have been racking up the miles since we retired and I'm not sure when the equalizer broke and took out the other one with it. Luckily they stayed together up in the bracket.The original springs were flat as well.
On a little short trip back in April I noticed the tires were moving in and out of the wheel wells slightly on turns. I used to check the tires in the mirror on every curve but now with the pressure monitors I got lax. Don't be that guy. I should have caught the problem much earlier.
Thank goodness we didn't make any emergency movements after they broke. That would have been a horrifying crash. 12 year old 5er.
Parts total will be around $400, the labor is mine.
Puma 30RKSS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shocks on our 7K lb TT made a HUGE improvement - less bouncing at the rear and better handling. Helped prevent things in our rear kitchen from bouncing around and doors opening in transit. I installed Monroe shocks on ours and Monroe says to install them at an angle.

Monroe, Mor-Ryde, LCI and Joyrider all want their shocks to be at an angle and compression/rebound rates are designed for being at an angle. It has more to do with shock travel and overall length, especially if mounting on the inboard side of the I-beams and if the axles are under-slung or over-slung. Ours are mounted between the tire and I-beams. I don't recall ever seeing photos with the shocks being vertical.

I highly recommend having shocks on a trailer. I also recommend Dexter EZ-flex equalizers and wet bolts.

First photo is a Lippert shock installation. Second photo is a Mor-Ryde installation. Third is a Joyrider installation. Fourth & fifth are photos of our Monroe setup. I had a set of tie plates modified to sandwich between our 3" axle tubes and springs for the lower mount. I had the upper mounting brackets welded to the I-beams by a certified welder at a frame shop. I needed the upper mounting points just above the bottom flange of the I-beams in order to clear the slide out shaft on the other side.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't have shocks on my 5er.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I have done some research on trailer shocks as I was curious if they did anything. What I found is that most were mounted on an angle and did little, but those that were mounted vertically helped. So, if yours are vertical, I would try and find replacements.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Roadmaster.
Also look at Trailer SumoSprings.
And MORryde product's
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
moryde system heavier duty springs and axles plus wet bolts system.