cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sidewinder vs Goosebox vs BD3+1621

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We recently brought home a long bed DRW, and moved our Curt A16 into it, keeping the Sidewinder Airborne pinbox that we have on our fifth wheel.

Since we now have a long bed truck, I'm reconsidering our options. I see a few pros/cons with each of the options I'm considering and I'll list them below - but would like some outside opinions on the matter before I decide to make a purchase.

I've previously owned Pullrite Superglide, TrailerSaver BD3, and B&W Patriot hitches. The B&W is still sitting in the garage - despite the huge following it has, I'm not a fan of the latching mechanism on it and don't think the ride that impressive. The Curt rides just as well and I prefer the way it hooks up and disconnects, and the custom wedge for the Sidewinder fits tighter without causing issues (I also have the custom wedge for the Patriot). The BD3 may have soured my impression of any fixed hitch, and I'm considering another BD3 or TS3 as well.

Curt A16 + Reese Sidewinder Airborne
Pros:
  • Already own it, no purchase necessary
  • Tighter turns and closer tracking during turns
  • Since the pinbox doesn't move, you can pack stuff around the hitch when towing

Cons:
  • Noisy
  • Loses air quickly, at least compared to the BD3...
  • High maintenance - have to check torque every outing, lube often, drop and clean/inspect "seasonally"

Goosebox
Pros:
  • Clean bed
  • Ride may be an improvement over the Sidewinder
  • Quiet
  • Low maintenance
  • Doesn't require an external kingpin lock (padlock tabs, I believe, on the second gen)

Cons:
  • Requires ~$1200 purchase
  • Less maneuverable than Sidewinder
  • Might require frequent air fills and greasing
  • Requires quite a bit of space around the pinbox for movement in the bed of the truck - is it possible to store, say, firewood behind the connection when towing?

Other: I don't think hookup will be an issue because of the cargo cam on my Ram.

Trailer Saver BD3 or TS3 + Lippert 1621
Pros:

• Probably the best riding hitch on the market
  • Low maintenance
  • Really like the latching and jaw mechanism

Cons:
  • Requires ~$3K (new) or $1K (used) purchase
  • Heavy and takes up room in the bed
  • Less maneuverable than Sidewinder

If I end up changing hitches, I'll list the the other hitch stuff for sale and make some or all of my money back on the new setup.

I'm sort of leaning towards the 2nd gen Goosebox, #94716.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s
23 REPLIES 23

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Endricken wrote:
Hope you don't have to air up that airbag as often as I had to.
Depending on how bad the road was sometimes I had to air it up after every tow.
Maybe they changed the design so that it wouldn't "puff out" the air if over 35 lbs (?)

They supposedly addressed that with the second generation. I haven't lost any air in ~35 miles of towing.

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you don't have to air up that airbag as often as I had to.
Depending on how bad the road was sometimes I had to air it up after every tow.
Maybe they changed the design so that it wouldn't "puff out" the air if over 35 lbs (?)
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
that brake break-a-way cable looks pretty tight?

It does, but only at a full 90ยฐ turn. There is more slack in it (obfuscated by the pin box) than there is in the safety chain so it should never be an issue. Of course I could just find another place to attach it... I will probably look for a spring link big enough to clip around one of the safety chain attachments, and just tack it on to that.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
that brake break-a-way cable looks pretty tight?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the Goosebox today and am pretty happy with the first tow. Something feels slightly off, it may just be the air pressure in the bag, or something to get used to. I'm going to try a few variations over the weekend.

I can turn a full 90ยฐ with the setup, without coming too close to the rails of the bed.

pressure_welder
Explorer
Explorer
while I absolutely agree that the older "leg" versions of the gooseneck adapters create a lot of stress on a fifth wheel frame. The newer style hitches that have come out are leaps and bounds ahead of those.

Personally I was going to go with the goosebox for our 37ft Montana, however unfortunately due to my welding rig deck the side tool boxes wouldn't have given adequate turning radius without possible risk of clipping a box with the goosebox. I was very impressed with the goosebox design, and i certainly will consider it in the future.

SO i decided to go with the ever forbidden Andersen ultimate model made for flat beds. With roughly 1500KM now on that hitch pulling our montana i can honestly say its performing SLIGHLTLY better than my B&W companion, the companion is a stellar hitch no arguments there. And the fact that i can have it unbolted in 2 minutes, and don't need a skid steer to lift it out is money in the bank as far as i am concerned.

Do you guys have any idea how many welding rigs are running down the road with a 36+ foot fiver with a gooseneck ball placed 2 feet behind the back axle, running a goosebox, Andersen, or fifth wheel hitch? Not to mention these welding rigs already have 3000LBS + of gear on their decks, without issue? ive seen/spoken too HUNDREDS that have put a sickening amount of miles on in some of the worst roads. I know some of you will say "well that's not right" but do you really know?

At the end of the day this is how i feel. These companies are putting out a product to which engineers have signed off on after numerous testing phases. Some are approved by lippert, some aren't. But i feel most negative comments on these "new technology" items are from people who have never used them once. They see them on the internet and they make their arm chair engineering decision that they just CANT work, and are a ticking time bomb.

Ive logged a lot of miles with both, and couldn't be happier with BOTH. I think its funny that the fifth wheel hitch fan club is so set in their ways. I am not an advocate for any hitch, in my opinion if the thing works and the company backs their product WHO CARES.
2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
redhooker, your analysis of the GB is all wrong. I am not wasting time explaining the mechanics of the design.

K

It is not my analysis. This is exactly what the engineers at Lippert will tell you and it is why they approve itโ€™s use on all Lippert frames-they DO NOT approve of any other gooseneck adapters. OP, do not take my or anyone elseโ€™s word for it. I would advise you to talk to Lippert yourself as I have.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
redhooker, your analysis of the GB is all wrong. I am not wasting time explaining the mechanics of the design.

K
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
The Goosebox is nothing like a gooseneck adapter. Gooseneck adapters add stress to the pinbox and pinbox mount because you are placing a lever (think cheater bar) on the kingpin and torquing the **** out of it.

The goosebox places the same stress on the pinbox mount as a standard kingpin and hitch. The forces are almost identical as the standard hitch/pinbox combo. You are just eliminating the hitch apparatus from the equation. I believe this to be far superior to a ball-mount style โ€œcompanionโ€ or Anderson hitch. Thatโ€™s why these are actually approved by Lippert for use on their frames.

The only downside is the Goosebox has a pitiful 4000 pound limit on pin weight-woefully inadequate should you actually use it on a 20k fiver.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
jshupe wrote:
Any reason you went with the 4" offset ball? I ordered everything today - including a zero offset ball.

Howdy!

I have a Custom Hauler bed on my truck a needed the 4โ€ offset to clear the front of the trough for the Goose Box.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The 5th wheel frame failures are primarily attributed to Lippert frames. I know Lippert and Reese have a sweet heart deal on the GooseBox, but that does not change engineering.

A goose neck frame is designed totally different from the 5th wheel frames used on RVs. You can beef up a 5er frame and use a goose neck adapter. The Goose Box still has the same extended lever arm ad a goose neck adapter.

I would NEVER by a used 5er that had been used with a GooseBox or any other goose neck adapter.
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Endricken wrote:
Hmm,
Are Gooseneck Trailer frame failures anymore common than with standard Fifth Wheel Hitches????
I know personally of at least 2 fellow RVers whose front frames failed with normal Fifth Wheel Hitches, one was the RV Dreamers.
Yes its a Lever, but what does it take to MOVE it and cause damage?
Obviously, generally speaking the forces don't normally exceed the strength/rigidity of the components or nobody would have / sell /continue to use a Gooseneck adapter.
My Front Frame broke after hitting a Horrible pothole, that shutdown the Truck CD player and temporarily disabled the Transmission while using the Goosebox. So the Front frame Pinbox assembly was rebuilt with heaver steel and better welds and I reverted to the Star Performance Glider Gooseneck adapter. No problems since.
The GOOSEBOX was a PITA before it failed. Had to re-air the airbag after almost every tow and they want you to grease the adapter EVERY tow.
The GOOSEBOX was bent sometime after the failure before the frame collapsed.
It was LESS than a year old but REESE WOULD NOT Replace it.
Stay away from it.

You've been posting this all over the Internet on every single thread about the Goosebox for the past couple years. This is an anecdote, not of statistical significance.

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm,
Are Gooseneck Trailer frame failures anymore common than with standard Fifth Wheel Hitches????
I know personally of at least 2 fellow RVers whose front frames failed with normal Fifth Wheel Hitches, one was the RV Dreamers.
Yes its a Lever, but what does it take to MOVE it and cause damage?
Obviously, generally speaking the forces don't normally exceed the strength/rigidity of the components or nobody would have / sell /continue to use a Gooseneck adapter.
My Front Frame broke after hitting a Horrible pothole, that shutdown the Truck CD player and temporarily disabled the Transmission while using the Goosebox. So the Front frame Pinbox assembly was rebuilt with heaver steel and better welds and I reverted to the Star Performance Glider Gooseneck adapter. No problems since.
The GOOSEBOX was a PITA before it failed. Had to re-air the airbag after almost every tow and they want you to grease the adapter EVERY tow.
The GOOSEBOX was bent sometime after the failure before the frame collapsed.
It was LESS than a year old but REESE WOULD NOT Replace it.
Stay away from it.
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
royroy, The GB is not any less safe than a regular goose neck set up. What I see is the extended lever arm on the pin box area of the trailer which puts more stress on the trailer frame at the area the pin box is attached to the trailer frame. It is basic mechanical engineering.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.