cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location & Changing fuel filter Ford E 450 V10

dymsail
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2017 Forester 2861 DS Ford V10 engine. I have 28,000 on the rig. I want to change the fuel filter soon, will be driving from Washington State to Georgia and all the states in between. about a 7,000 trip. I want to change the fuel filter, would like to know location and if there is anything special I need to be doing.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
I saw a Youtube video, a fellow made a special tool from the cap of a Sharpie pen. It seemed to have worked extremely well for him. He complained Ford's special tool didn't work, requiring him to get creative.

You can buy the special tools at any auto parts store. They don't cost that much, but they come in different sizes which is critical. Some appear that they'll work but don't cause it's the wrong size. Even when you have the right size, it takes a good yank to get it apart.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
When Ford moved to returnless-variable-flow fuel systems (2012 I think), inline fuel filters were eliminated. So there's no fuel filter to service. And since the fuel system is returnless, less filtering is needed. The newer rigs all utilize a long-life in-tank filter instead, which is integral to the fuel pump.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
there is more info within this thread .
a link by j-d within this thread.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24500526.cfm

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a Youtube video, a fellow made a special tool from the cap of a Sharpie pen. It seemed to have worked extremely well for him. He complained Ford's special tool didn't work, requiring him to get creative.

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 F250 CC pickup v10 fuel filter is under driver's door on the frame rail and you will need a special wrench to remove the filter. Google how to change a fuel filter and you should get plenty of how to videos. I took mine to my mechanic and one hour later done.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 F250 CC pickup v10 fuel filter is under driver's door on the frame rail and you will need a special wrench to remove the filter. Google how to change a fuel filter and you should get plenty of how to videos. I took mine to my mechanic and one hour later done.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "