cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Popup Camper Top - RR corner won't completely lower / close

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco - Jay Series 806 small popup camper that we purchased recently. Great little camper but the right rear area of the top (facing the bumper) won't completely come down. (~ 1 inch up versus all the other 3 corners). I have lubricated it; checked the cables and they all look good. It is like there is something inside the square tubing that is blocking the last inch of lowering. (just a big guess). There is nothing inside stopping it like cushions, etc. I can put all my weight on it and it doesn't make any difference.

I didn't see how to open it up (the square tubing) and check it further. I thought many of you may have had popup campers prior to going bigger so I thought I would put it here on Tech Issues rather than just the Folding Camper forum.

Any ideas? anyone ever tear into one of these on a Jayco popup?

Thanks in advance!
John and Patti
Chevy 2500 HD / Duramax/Allison
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
http://www.painthorsefarm.com
8 REPLIES 8

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
BRAVO !! Persistence Pays Off

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok everyone, we have found the issue and have at least temporary fixed it. My wife actually found the issue and fixed it after I was going crazy.

I removed the plywood covers over the wench / cables and I didn't see anything obvious. However, my wife noticed that the 4 cables were twisted together - I had assumed they were supposed to be that way. One of the cables had become "frayed" and a couple of strands were broken can causing them to all become twisted together. We untangled the 4 cables and put electrical tape around the problem cable to temporarily keep it from grabbing the others. I do plan to replace the cable but the important thing is that all 4 corners are returning back to the right height to close up the camper.

'I wanted to be sure others knew the "fix" as I had a hard time determining what it was and there is not much information on this issue on the internet.

Thank you all for your ideas. I do appreciate your replies.
John and Patti

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I know they have manuals over at popupportal.com you do have to join to download but it's free.
Link to manuals
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Never tried to take one apart before but I seem to remember seeing a diagram once where the tubing has a pulley at the very top. Could there be a bolt that holds the pulley and it's backed out of the hole and stopping it from going down?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. this was an issue when I bought it used a few months ago and I assumed it was just something easy. There is nothing obvious in that area as an obstruction. The dinette in in that area and it collapses down. I have ensured nothing is in the way. I take it down slow and feel around / push in the tent material as well. I have had 2 other popups in the past so they are not new to me. When it gets around 1" left, it is done. no movement.

anyone know how to take that apart? There are 3 pieces of square tubing inside of each other that raise and lower together.

thx!
John and Patti

AlwaysOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
Lift it completely back up and start over. As you slowly bring it down, keep stopping and keep checking for obstructions. Take your time. Something is not lining up right and you are going to have to determine what it is.
Edit - What's in the rear corner? A sofa? Are you sure that it's as far down as it goes? I once had a sofa not collapsed correctly and had this issue.
2016 F150 4X4 2.7EcoBoost 6Speed 3:55's / 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL ToyHauler

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thinking again, on my old popup it never comes all the way down and I have to push it the last few inches down. Can you push the corner down on yours? Or is it like a solid stop and not going to close?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
First thing I can think is are you sure the problem is inside the lift support? Could it be something simple like some of the tenting is caught up and not letting that corner come all the way down? Have you already lifted it all the way back up and then inspected around in that corner for something like a cabinet door open, or a kids toy left out? What about underneath the camper? Can you see the cables and does the cable go slack yet the corner still wont come down?