cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our good friends got a new Cedar Creek...

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it is actually a 2020. They didn't want to purchase from their local dealer, that huge nation wide chain. So they chose a dealer that they felt comfortable with, a dealer in Ukiah Ca...
Since neither have the class A license he delivered it to them. They are taking the training for the license so officially they have never driven it...
Now comes the good part. The husband was glancing at the 5th wheel, looked up and thought something looked out of whack. Went out bought a longer ladder and when he got level with the roof saw that it had peeled back from the front cap and a bit from the drivers side. His dealer said take pictures and turn in a claim. Side note, before they saw the damage it had rained on it...
Question: what are the chances of telling Cedar Creek they would sure like a NEW replacement? What are the chances of water damage that may end up biting them in the butt later? What are recommendations? Has this happened to anyone?
She has retired within the year and he is retiring at the end of the year. Their FIRST rv ever and now they are both a bit ticked...

Thank you
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
22 REPLIES 22

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
WaterJosh wrote:
If I may ask, where do they live, I grew up just 20 minutes away from Ukiah. They have had some torrential downpours in the last month there. I know I looked at a smaller trailer in Ukiah years ago, I had a small truck at the time and so was more concerned with the weight. The guy sat there with a calculator doing the weights with water and such, and we came up with very different numbers, he swore up and down the weight of water was 7lbs/gallon. The weight is actually 8.34lbs/gallon, and my water treatment licenses dictate that I better know what I am talking about. He proceeded to inform me that I must be terrible at my job if I didn't even know what water weighed... needless to say we left.

What an idiot. Probably failed h.s. chem, which is why he was selling RVs. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:
Oh now your going to blame the delivery company for pulling it like they always do. If they encountered severe weather on the way it should have been noted by the driver.

As the OP stated in his first post, the DEALER delivered the FW, not a hotshot driver.

Lyle

Thanks Lyle, sounds like a factory problem that was not noticed until delivered. I hope their customer service is still as good as it was when I owned one.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Delamination is not usually a problem with a Cedar Creek due to their hung wall construction. One of only a few trailers that are built this way.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
If I may ask, where do they live, I grew up just 20 minutes away from Ukiah. They have had some torrential downpours in the last month there. I know I looked at a smaller trailer in Ukiah years ago, I had a small truck at the time and so was more concerned with the weight. The guy sat there with a calculator doing the weights with water and such, and we came up with very different numbers, he swore up and down the weight of water was 7lbs/gallon. The weight is actually 8.34lbs/gallon, and my water treatment licenses dictate that I better know what I am talking about. He proceeded to inform me that I must be terrible at my job if I didn't even know what water weighed... needless to say we left.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
garyp4951 wrote:
Oh now your going to blame the delivery company for pulling it like they always do. If they encountered severe weather on the way it should have been noted by the driver.

As the OP stated in his first post, the DEALER delivered the FW, not a hotshot driver.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
No one has mentioned "finger pointing". Seems like since its left the dealers lots after a pre delivery inspection that FR and the dealer would blame who ever delivered it to it's current location. Any pix you could post if the damage?

Since the buyers did not have the class A license required the dealer in Ukiah delivered it to them.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned "finger pointing". Seems like since its left the dealers lot after a pre delivery inspection that FR and the dealer would blame who ever delivered it to it's current location. Any pix you could post of the damage?
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some contact info that might help them to reach out and inquire what can be done.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/contact-us/cedar-creek-hathaway-edition?RegionSelected=1

https://forestriverfrog.com/ContactUs.aspx
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
ependydad wrote:
The only time I've heard of RV manufacturers taking rigs back is with legal action. If they're willing to get lawyers involved, they may be able to get the manufacturer to take it back.

Otherwise, I'd wait and see what the manufacturer will do. I'd personally be calling Cedar Creek vs. waiting to hear back from what the dealer does/says.

Often times, a factory return is in order.

Not necessarily so, our 2017 Wildcat which also is a Forest River product was replaced by the factory with a brand new unit when we had some delamination with the floor (blamed it on the adhesive manufacturer) and a cosmetic issue with the exterior walls. We never dreamed they would replace it nor did we ask them too but they did anyway and who are we to argue with that. The bonus was the new one came with a second AC unit for our troubles, exterior ref. as they are standard with changes in the model, and 16" wheels :B. They even told us to give them a $$ amount for any aftermarket items that we put on such as new bath faucet, expansion tank, and a inexpensive Henges bath fan. Given the the extra stuff on our new one we said no worries on the items we added.

The manufacturer treated us very well, you may be surprised.

Dan

Dan, I love being corrected like that. (not sarcasm) It's great to hear they took care of you. Did they just come out with the offer? "Wow, this rig is really messed up- how about we just replace it?"

The Sabre factory ended up treating me quite well when I had issues. But I didn't have my rig replaced.

I think what helped was I wanted to take it back to the factory for repairs. The dealer thought it might be beyond what they could do properly so I volunteered and brought it back myself as I only live a couple hours away. When I met the factory representative and my contact person in the parking lot the first thing the rep said when I showed them was "this whole unit may get replaced" a couple days later they emailed and confirmed that they would. I'm glad I brought it back myself vs. dealer emailing them pictures, etc. I don't know if it fell back on the adhesive manufacturer as he indicated there was a period where they had bad adhesive. Never heard the final "why"

Dan

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend you not hire a lawyer right away, but start researching someone who is familiar with Lemon Laws in their State. Once the mfg. decides the best way to handle repair the unit, I would negotiate a longer warranty period in the case of delamination in the area that has been rained on.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
ependydad wrote:
The only time I've heard of RV manufacturers taking rigs back is with legal action. If they're willing to get lawyers involved, they may be able to get the manufacturer to take it back.

Otherwise, I'd wait and see what the manufacturer will do. I'd personally be calling Cedar Creek vs. waiting to hear back from what the dealer does/says.

Not necessarily so, our 2017 Wildcat which also is a Forest River product was replaced by the factory with a brand new unit when we had some delamination with the floor (blamed it on the adhesive manufacturer) and a cosmetic issue with the exterior walls. We never dreamed they would replace it nor did we ask them too but they did anyway and who are we to argue with that. The bonus was the new one came with a second AC unit for our troubles, exterior ref. as they are standard with changes in the model, and 16" wheels :B. They even told us to give them a $$ amount for any aftermarket items that we put on such as new bath faucet, expansion tank, and a inexpensive Henges bath fan. Given the the extra stuff on our new one we said no worries on the items we added.

Dan

Dan, I love being corrected like that. (not sarcasm) It's great to hear they took care of you. Did they just come out with the offer? "Wow, this rig is really messed up- how about we just replace it?"

The Sabre factory ended up treating me quite well when I had issues. But I didn't have my rig replaced.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cedar Creek has treated me and many others very well with warranty issues. Can't say the same for other Forest River lines but Cedar Creek seems to be an exception. Doubtful they will exchange it but you never know.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel