Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: A simple idea
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> A simple idea

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife believes I’m Superman. She keeps expecting me to use my X-ray vision.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

The ugly duckling

Central New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found that backing up directions became less stressful when we got Walkie Talkies. No more screening which lowered our stress levels. Also I remind her that I need to see her from one of my rear view mirrors. Instead of left/right directions we use driver/passenger to indicate which directions she wants me to move the camper.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two more suggestions: first, tell her how great she's doing, as often as you can. Pretty soon, you will both start to believe it. [emoticon]

Second, don't undertake a complicated backing-up job when you are hungry or thirsty. We often "snack up" as we are nearing our destination to build up our blood sugar for the upcoming ordeal.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me the spotter is just to signal stop if we're are about to hit something.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Two more suggestions: first, tell her how great she's doing, as often as you can. Pretty soon, you will both start to believe it. [emoticon]

Second, don't undertake a complicated backing-up job when you are hungry or thirsty. We often "snack up" as we are nearing our destination to build up our blood sugar for the upcoming ordeal.
You camp in the middle of no where. All you have to do is shut the vehicle off.[emoticon]

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 11 years of trying everything I know, I have given up. Starting with the simple precept that if she can't see me in the mirror, I can't see her. I pretty much ignore her and get out if I have to. I'm at a loss as to what to try anymore when I've explained it so many times. Just easier if I do it and let her think she's helping. Every trip used to start with tension at the campsite. No more.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

frisbeekev

Burtonsville, md

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

This is key. Plus snacks keep the kids in their seats while backing in also. Sort of like the"FOrgive me for everything I said while parking the camper"

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler, believe it or not, the very trickiest parking jobs are in the boonies -- no driveway, no pad, just lots of rocks and trees. For example, this site was in the Uintas of Utah at ten thousand feet -- and yes, we did back up through those rocks to the campsite, very slowly and carefully. No hardware was harmed, but it took us a good 45 minutes to get situated:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or here is another example of a fun parking job -- this was near Silverton, Colorado, also at ten thousand feet. Narrow, steep, rocky, un-level, lots of trees. Much laughter and expressive hand-waving. Easily another 45 minutes well spent!

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> A simple idea
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.