cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel to the USA

pauly_boy
Explorer
Explorer
First time taking the MH to the USA from Canada. Upper NY State and Pennsylvania. What kind of foods can or can't be brought over. Do the border "guys" do a walk through or fridge check?
Just curious.
Thanks Paul
9 REPLIES 9

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
All of the comments about leaving foods behind are right on. Don't carry any food stuffs. You 'can' have meat, but no pork or lamb. No veggies. No fruits. If you have a pet...leave that food behind, unless it is in it's original container and was made in the US too. Replenish once you have crossed. Even garlic and/onions. Don't.

Thus is not onerous...just leave it at home and cross empty. It truly does make is so much easier. And they still may board. It doesn't take long. As long as you are playing by the rules. I cross almost weekly and sometimes I get a more thorough check than others..but that is just the way it is.

Hints? Everyone take off sunglasses before you get to the agent and shut down the engine soon as you can. Don't fret about being all single answer, one worded...be yourself.

Same applies for coming back into Canada. No fresh fruits or veggies. I bring back meat and if in the US for 48hrs, I bring in my Duty Free alcohol. Whatever you buy...keep the receipts.

It is a PIA but the border is serious business both ways.

Gary Haupt
BC
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Going north we have been detained and our vehicle searched. We were driving an older Toyota based Damon and I think we were being profiled as "people of interest." When going through with our newer F150 pulling a new TT, we had a totally different experience. The tires barely stopped turning and we were told to move on. It does seem to make a difference.

Headed back into the US, we have never done more than answer a few questions.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were checked once in all the times we travelled to the U.S., she confiscated a tomato.:R Best not to have fresh produce or meat which is cheaper south of the border even with the unfavorable exchange rate. We once got asked if the dog food contained goat or lamb. Pardon???

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Do the border "guys" do a walk through or fridge check?"

The answer is, . . . . . sometimes. Do you feel lucky? A lot depends on how you act, how you look, your vehicle, and the inspectors current state of mind. I know, I know, they (law enforcement) say they don't profile, but, that hasn't been my experience. Sometimes they check everyone, sometimes the computer just singles you out, and sometimes you're just unlucky and you find yourselves in secondary for the full monty.

Most food items are cheaper in the USA so unless there is something special that you can't buy here, don't take the chance. Make sure any prescription medications are current and have clear labels with your name on them. Declare cash amounts over $10,000 US. Wire transfers are safer.

Chum lee

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Whenever we cross we seldom bring much more than condiments and milk. Generally our first stop in the U.S. is a grocery stop at a Walmart Supercenter, where we stock up. Also a beer and liquor stop.
When crossing we have been inspected a few times with the agents boarding and looking in all cupboards and the fridge. They sometimes look in the baggage compartments too. As we tow a vehicle they often ask to look in it and generally want to see the ownership papers.
2010 Suncruiser

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian whiskey is always welcome.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Guess there must be holes in the wall ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest answer: Maybe. There is little consistency. Best bet is to not bring fresh produce and meat into the US. Just get it when you get there.

The rules change at the whim of somebody -- nobody knows who -- such that even the border agents agree it is impossible to know all the current regs.

That said, if they do check you over, and decide that your little bag of rice (like in my case!) or whatever is a no-no, just let it go, plead ignorance, and move on. No argument will succeed.