cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer length restrictions

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
National and state park campsites has trailer/RV restrictions.

Camp hosts also are at a loss whether it's just the cab length (say, 17') or end-to-end including the tip of the hitch (21').

Anyone else has the discussions or disagreement with the camp host/ranger -- and what's been settled?

I know, I know, there is no further discussion if trailer won't fit or would block the road, lol. But if you can maneuver into it....
11 REPLIES 11

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the follow up posts and the wealth of information.

Along the West Coast some reservations, aside from length, would have width restrictions with questions about slides.

To my mind, complying with the restrictions is essential specially this summer when public campsites are mostly fully booked. You don't want to cheat with putting in the wrong dimensions to get the spot, only to find out you won't fit and then having to leave with only Walmart as prospect to spend the night, lol.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
carringb wrote:
The only real limit is whether you can make it fit. The measurements are typically curb to street, so you can usuallybe a little longer since there's often some clear space behind the curb.

My trailer is 38' overall. When booking I always looks at pics when available, to make sure the table or fire pit isn't directly behind the curb. Or trees. I've been in space spec'd as 24'. I make it work, and it can take a little extra time to squeeze it into said site.

our TT is 38ft also, never had a problem finding a spot in va, nc and sc state parks. it does take some planning ahead for sites large enough. but as busy as these parks are, unless its winter time. you need to plan and make reservations anyway. campsitephotos.com is a good site for site photos as well as individual park websites.

Campsitephotos.com and some of those other websites / apps can be essentially worthless. They're not always up to date. Where we host some sites were upgraded to FHU 3 years ago, and a lot of the 150 electric only sites were reconfigured in 2014 changing lengths and orientations. The info on campsite photos and RVparky is pre 2010 and nowhere near accurate.

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think any of the parks in Mo. have any restrictions before, I make my reservation I google the park I'm looking for and get the driveway measurement. My trailer is 31ft. with the rear slide out and the measurement for the whole rig is 48' I tell the person that is taking my reservation that my rig is 50' I have never been questioned on it also I make sure they site is at least 50'. that way I can park with the trailer. This seems to work with both the Corp. of Eng. and in Mo. and Ill. and with the Mo. state parks.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
If making reservations, the site will have a length on it. That's the length of the site, the overall length.

Pretty cut and dry from my perspective.

It would be odd to state a max length "trailer" that would fit, because there's a hundred different length tow vehicle lengths, so then the max trailer length becomes meaningless.
Bob

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
The only real limit is whether you can make it fit. The measurements are typically curb to street, so you can usuallybe a little longer since there's often some clear space behind the curb.

My trailer is 38' overall. When booking I always looks at pics when available, to make sure the table or fire pit isn't directly behind the curb. Or trees. I've been in space spec'd as 24'. I make it work, and it can take a little extra time to squeeze it into said site.

our TT is 38ft also, never had a problem finding a spot in va, nc and sc state parks. it does take some planning ahead for sites large enough. but as busy as these parks are, unless its winter time. you need to plan and make reservations anyway. campsitephotos.com is a good site for site photos as well as individual park websites.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with you all, the final reckoning is if you could fit.

Except if the ranger or camp host pre-empt you into even trying. Or, the reservation system sets a very conservative number and requires you to put in the size of your rig and thus disqualifies you to make the reservations because yours didn't make the number.

That's the case for my question. National Park reservations would specify that RV had to be 24' but has lower number for trailer at 18' (and added the question whether that 18 is the cab or the whole length to the hitch).

Thanks all for your responses.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I've run into Ktmrfs number 2 before. The obstacles a boulder and tree made it impossible to back into a site even though the site was long enough. Some older campgrounds look more like tent spots with electric that a pop-up was all that would fit. It just depends on the campground.

You could always do some reconnaissance in the truck to see if you could fit.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm in doubt I call and talk to a camp host to discuss. What I've found is that any of the following can restrict access.

I have found no consistency is length limit limitations or what limits the length.

1) road to narrow and to sharp of turns to navigate. The worst case, something I NEVER want to experience first hand, but have been through campgrounds in my truck that would have been really bad had the trailer been hooked up.

2) road to narrow to get backed in even though sites are plenty long enough. often coupled with older sites with back in sites at a 90 degree angle rather than a shallow angle. 90 degree back in angle, narrow site, narrow road= tough or impossible job to get backed in.

3) sites easy to get into but clearly to short.

I've been to places that said nothing over 24 ft and I regularly visit and have plenty of sites I can get my 32Ft trailer into.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
in Ontario provincial parks ive always gone with the model. I treated my prowler 19E as a 19 foot even though she was more like 23-24. My current flagstaff is a 24" model and it fit on their 18 food site last may (booked sight for the prowler then upgraded) ranger had no issue when I called to explain the issue. road in was a bit tight but no big deal.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I haven’t had the issue but at 43 feet overall, I’m not that long.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad