cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route from Redding CA to Santa Rosa

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 20 ft TT end of next week. What do the roads look like? Any issues going around the Lake? tim in san jose.

MOD'S EDIT: Changed the topic title from "Reading" to "Redding". ๐Ÿ™‚
7 REPLIES 7

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'll coopy this and use it as my guide. Actually going to Cloverdale, up above Windsor. t

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Route to Ft Bragg area

Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101. This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.

The next part is for those that want to go to Ft Bragg area.

Take the freeway ramp towards Willits. Once in town stay in the left lane and be patient. Traffic can back up a bit. You will come to a large intersection that has a shopping center on the right and fuel stations on three corners. Turn left and relax and enjoy a beautiful twisting and winding road that has plenty of pull outs to rest, calm queasy stomachs and stretch the pets.

This section may take you an hour. Use your shifting lever to keep things in a lower gear so you donโ€™t get hot brakes. Nothing steep, just lots of slow curves.

After the 33 miles you will come to a stop light. Two ways to go, right or left. Left will take you to Mendocino and right will take you to Ft. Bragg. Be sure to make reservations in advance. Turning left there is a really nice campground โ€œPomoโ€, that we have used many times. Further down is Casper beach. My wife does not like the cramped spaces but I liked being able to walk across the street to the beach.

Adding to this. Keep an eye out for Elk along the road from Williams to the Clear Lake area. Another interesting place along the way on the right is an old mining camp. You will come to a three lane road, two lanes going uphill. On the right you will see an old slag dump. This is Abbot mine. It was a mercury mine in the 50's and 60's. "Quick Silver", is an incredibly heavy liquid metal at room temp. There were about a dozen families living at this mining camp at one time. A cook house, bunk house and showers were provided for many miners. Ore was trucked to the crushers, then entered furnaces. The slag was dumped over an embankment. The site was cleaned up several years ago so mostly memories are the only things left.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Is there a Reading, CA? Do you mean Redding?

If you're coming from Redding, are you concerned about the road through Clearlake?

Speling has never bin my strong suite.
t

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
I-5 south to 20 to 101 south. all good roads you will have no problem with that little guy around the lake.

That little guy is sometimes a challenge. We tow with a 98 Yukon. It does fine most of the time but 7% hills are a bit tricky. Thanks, I'll check it out. t

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
I-5 south to 20 to 101 south. all good roads you will have no problem with that little guy around the lake.

dedmiston
Is there a Reading, CA? Do you mean Redding?

If you're coming from Redding, are you concerned about the road through Clearlake?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Redding to Santa Rosa? Which lake concerns you?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad