cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back to the White Mountains for more fun...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from another 4 day/3 night run up to the rainbow Campground at Big Lake in the eastern White Mountains. We were there 6 weeks ago when we hauled my Indian Springfield {large heavy touring twin motorcycle} up to ride The Devils Highway... awesome ride BTW, but i digress.

This trip we brought our new {to us} 2017 Polaris RZR 570, the 10' cargo trailer does double duty nicely hauling either toy behind our 24' Nexus Class C. There are hundreds of miles of incredible Forrest Service roads that wind through the mountains many of which are strictly 4 wheel drive access but reward you with some of the most incredible scenery imaginable. The campground sits at just over 9,000' with 11,000'+ peaks very near.

We had all sorts of weather, arrived in a weak Monsoon thunderstorm at noon on Sunday following the 4th of July weekend. Monday was breezy but nice and Tuesday was AWESOME! Temps in the mid to upper 70's, no wind, not a cloud in the sky and we wrapped it up with a another pretty decent campfire..

I give you "Exhibit A":

We rode over 220 miles in the 2.5 days we were there, most of it on dirt/gravel roads with a serious dollop of rock crawling over some of the more challenging sections.

For the record the Rainbow CG has 152 sites, no hook ups but flush toilets, water throughout the campground but not for your RV. There are two, two lane dump stations available and you can pick up all of the wood you could ever hope to burn by just walking out into the woods of heavy Aspen and Pines many reaching 70 - 90'. Sites are $22 a night {$11 for us Geezers with a pass}.

"Drop dead gorgeous" does not begin to do this area justice. Here are a couple more pics:

This was taken from the top of the Big Lake Overlook at 9,600', there is a small communications station on the peak,. Getting up there requires some serious rock crawling/4WD but the views are off of the chart:

:B
2 REPLIES 2

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Big Lake area...mind you, last time the fishing was Me 0 - Fish 1...but the weather was nice and the nights were great. Can't wait to get up there again. Phoenix is too hot!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DC, love the White Mountains! Great getaway from the desert on either side of the state line! Used to camp up there when we lived in Albq.
And when we were in Phx, it was a great spot for snowmobiling, considering our locale.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold