Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why does my Truck Camper list toward the driver side
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why does my Truck Camper list toward the driver side

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Grit Dog ~~ I am pretty durn sure WEIGHT is NOT centered in middle of camper

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire manufacturers always recommend the same tire pressure per axle to avoid confusion, so it is owner risk to compensate different weight per side.
My old bus conversion had one side like 25% heavier, what I could figure out when air suspension lifted 1 side with 60 psi, but took 80 psi to lift the other.
I was giving the heavier side extra few psi in tires, but generally lighter side got higher pressure than really needed to avoid confusion.
With TC the uneven side weight is amplified by high COG.
1/2" of suspension sag on the side makes your AC going several inches off the center.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 ~~~ I am speaking of the air pressure in Firestone Ride Right Air bags ~~ NOT TIRES ~ Always keep my tire even.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH Lord..... Just got back from [trash] scales. Personally HATE scales. Toyota says BOTH GVWR & Towing weight for this beast is 6600 . Driver +1 dog + mock up load 6620 [3/4+tank gas]. DO I take him out and shoot him or try to find 300# of ??? to take out.

Thanks for all your help ~ Back to square ONE. Not sellin' my truck ~ Not sellin' my camper ~~ Gotta nice piece of YardArt. ~~ K
Modify message

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haha! Poor dog...what'd he do? LOL
If you're only 6600# total with the camper on and dog ridin shotgun, then you are golden my friend! Throw an extra rack r 2 of brewskis in the camper just 'cause you can!

Have fun camping! Remember it's no fun sweating the petty stuff but it is fun petting the sweaty stuff!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit ~~ You just made my afternoon. Right now out in the back yard sorting the duplicates & tossing the strays. Love that last sentence ~~ Can I steal it and make me a sign?? Thanks K

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea how long you owned your truck. If you are the original owner, then this may not apply to you. However, if you are not the first owner and don't know the truck's maintenance history, there could be something obvious that is wrong. I am thinking like an accident repair done improperly or with substandard parts.

My dad used to have a '57 Chevy that sat crooked. Could never figure out why. One day he counted the coils in the springs and found they were mismatched. Lots of frustration over what turned out to be an obvious, but unnoticed, problem. (I solved that problem when I got the car by re-doing the entire suspension.)

My point for the OP... Take some time and examine the basics. Do the springs actually match from side to side? Could there be an overload spring on one side that is not functional? Does it sit level when unloaded and do the springs look consistent side to side when unloaded?

A drop of "2-3 inches" side to side is significant. I could see a half to a full inch due to the load in the camper being heavier. That is a pretty good tilt, more than I would expect from just all the camper 'stuff' being on one side.

If you really want to break it down, you will need to load the truck with a heavy, but evenly distributed, weight load. I am thinking something like sheets of plywood. If it sits level, then the problem is with the camper weight distribution. If it sits several inches down on one side with an even load, then the problem is the truck and not the camper.

HTH!
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric & others of this thought line.

Original owner ~ worked at Toyota dealership 27 years ~ All maintenance ~ No accidents.I do not recall saying"..2-3 inches..." most about 1-2" ~ all air gone from driver side air bag.

This camper 'lives' on the truck ~ do not have the means or desire to remove it. Right now out in the back yard sorting the duplicates & tossing the strays. May be a little over packing moving down from class A. Rearranging storage ~ more heavy stuff on Passenger side. Trying to get his weight down. Then will evaluate again.

Thanks all for all considerations mentioned. Kate

* This post was edited 07/12/19 08:28am by maddog348 *

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had about an 1-3/4" List to the left side with the TC on the truck. I installed new heavier 4400# rear leaf springs and the list is much less. I plan to install heavier front springs and that should get the rest of the left list or lean out of the truck. My guess is at some point in the trucks life it hit a hard bump under load and took some arc out of the front left spring which is a visible amount compared to the right. The truck carries the TC much nicer now. The unloaded ride doesn't bother me at all.
Here's a video of the installation. There are many other options available to address your one sided lean.
Installing 4400 pound rear leaf springs.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most old Dodges like mine list to the drivers side too. We have always though it was because of the "Big 3". The Battery, the Driver and the 30 gallons of diesel are all on one side.

Wonder if something similar is happening to your rig.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why does my Truck Camper list toward the driver side
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.