cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resort Campgrounds 2-3 hrs outside NYC?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for kid-friendly resort campgrounds maybe within a 150 mile radius of New York for long weekends. We are out on Long Island about an hour east of NYC so that adds to my travel time as it is.

I see some campgrounds by the Delaware Water Gap but not too many have a resort feel. Hoping to go someplace with planned activities for children and have more than an in-ground backyard homeowner style pool.

We have been to the Jellystone's at Lazy River and Birchwood Acres, and also 4+ hrs out at Quarrysville, PA.

Truth be told, when I search for campgrounds on Google maps - and view the user added photos - you can get the real view of what campgrounds look like. Not just the photoshopped ones the owners want you to see.

Some places can look pretty sketchy. Others downright, ummm..., shall we say "ghetto"? Seasonal campsites, junk strewn all over, and they look like full time living in RVs that haven't moved in 20 years.

Not sure if what I want is available and I may have to set the bar a little lower.
10 REPLIES 10

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Beer Belly wrote:
kknowlton wrote:
Newburgh NY KOA, possibly?

We were considering the KOA, but last time we were there, the only thing "Resort" about it was the fee......compared to the Jellystone in Gardiner down the street, which IS a resort....I'd drive the extra few miles and pay more

If you're going that way, check out Rip Van Winkle

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herkimer Diamond KOA, is by far one of the most family friendly campgrounds I have come across. From mining for "Diamonds" in the quarry, tubing down the river that is on the back side of the park, to joining in some of the non-stop camp sponsored activities for the kids. They won't be bored. Big campground with large clean sites, nice pool. Make reservations this place fills up fast.
I was very disappointed with the Newburg KOA too..
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:

We were considering the KOA, but last time we were there, the only thing "Resort" about it was the fee......compared to the Jellystone in Gardiner down the street, which IS a resort....I'd drive the extra few miles and pay more
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
What about southern NJ? I don't know if it hits the 2-3 hour cap but we love Sea Pines in Cape May Courthouse. Lake and Shore has a waterpark, a lake, and a lot of activities; can be hard to get into, though.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
leggy wrote:
Depending on the age of the kids, kneobels has two campgrounds one on site with the amusement park and the other has a shuttle. Not really resort type but 12 and under will really enjoy the park.

A good suggestion. I was imagining it was farther from NYC than it is, else I would have mentioned it.

13 and over will really enjoy the park, as well, in my humble opinion. I know for sure this over 13 year old does very much.

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the age of the kids, kneobels has two campgrounds one on site with the amusement park and the other has a shuttle. Not really resort type but 12 and under will really enjoy the park.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Try Lake George RV Park
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Odetah in Ct still gets good reviews.

Been some yrs since we were last there.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
One possibility that comes to my mind is the HersheyPark Camping Resort, which is just a hair over 150 miles from NYC (per Google Maps routing). There's only a little more than the pool at the campground, but of course HersheyPark offers much much more to keep people busy and there's a shuttle service between them. It is a nicely maintained and well-run campground.