Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What gauge wire do I use

Campin_LI
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I want to place a 30 amp breaker in the panel of my house and then run about 200 ft of uf-b cable to a 30 amp rv outlet that I will place near my travel trailer. I would like to have the ability to use my travel trailer the same way as I would if I were at a full hookup campground.

What gauge wire should I use?

Thank you!
42 REPLIES 42

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
shastagary wrote:
"W" stands for water resistant

THANK YOU!!!

So I stand by what my Journeyman Electrician friend told me! Use THWN if using conduit underground no matter how well you THINK you have it sealed!

Chum lee why didn't you post this info???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
THHN and THWN is the same wire.

BOTH submersion rated?

No answer???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:

Not EXACTLY true. THWN wire is also THHN rated. THHN wire may or may not be THWN rated. Read the label before you buy the wire.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dusty R wrote:

BOTH submersion rated?

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
When you run your conduit use some rope and pull it through each section as you glue or screw your conduit together. When your done use the rope to pull your wire through. Consider conduit big enough for future upgrades. You may get a larger trailer one day that requires a 50 amp service.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
With plastic conduit, SAND the glue joints, then assemble with glue.

Wait you're not done.

Seal the seams with Shoo Goo. But anywhere the glop is applied it has to be sanded first. Don't try it with silly-cone

Campin_LI
Explorer
Explorer
Got my answer. If I bought 6/3 uf-b cable, it would come with a 10 gauge ground wire so I guess my answer is a 10 gauge thhn wire would work for the ground.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an expert on this BUT is THHN rated for submersion??? Don't be fooled your conduit WILL get water in it! I just had this happen. My Journeyman Electrician Friend said I need to replace my wire in my SEALED conduit with THWN since my Black/HOT wire has grounded out.

I was WERY careful gluing it together.

Campin_LI
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone, thank you for all this advise. Since I am getting in deep on this, I have expanded the project slightly. The run remains at 200' (195' to be exact). I am thinking of doing this with thhn wire in conduit. I will run 6 gauge for trailer, an additional 10 gauge wire for a 20 amp outlet and a 6 gauge neutral wire. What gauge should my ground wire be? Should any of the wire gauges I mentioned above be altered? I am planning stranded copper. I'll price out the difference of this setup vs running 6/3 uf-b cable. Maybe I'm wastying my efforts and the uf-b cable would just be cheaper. Don't know. thinking outloud.

Thanks!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chum lee wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"If you want someone to come and steal your copper wire, use 4 gauge."

I think he mentioned underground wire.

You need to get out more. At $2.30/lb. (currently), 3 - #4 copper wires add up fast. (a rhetorical question) What makes you think that if something is buried in conduit, (even directly) it's safe from theft? It happens all the time, nice long runs make it even more appealing.

Chum lee

If running underground to my 50A RV outlet I would run THWN copper stranded wire in conduit. I think it's highly unlikely anyone would go to the trouble of stealing it. Certainly not in areas I frequent.

Sorry no one in their right mind would run #4 for a 200' run for a 30A load.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If MONEY is the issue use 3AWG aluminum wire. But bare aluminum MUST MUST MUST be connected to TIN before it then connects to copper. Tin-plated aluminum works. Tin plated copper works. But the interface must be sealed water-tight outdoors.

Bare copper or SOLDER does not work. Aluminum is 4-alarm fire, fussy.

And remember the THIRD WIRE for earth ground can be #12 CU COPPER or #10 AL ALUMINUM

100 volt starting at high-head will destroy a roof air compressor motor

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"If you want someone to come and steal your copper wire, use 4 gauge."

I think he mentioned underground wire.

You need to get out more. At $2.30/lb. (currently), 3 - #4 copper wires add up fast. (a rhetorical question) What makes you think that if something is buried in conduit, (even directly) it's safe from theft? It happens all the time, nice long runs make it even more appealing.

Chum lee