cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Was rear ended on the highway

Kennydean
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, this was my third outing and the beginning of my vacation I have a 27 foot cougar fifth wheel 2015. I pull it with my ram 1500. I was driving on the highway and was rear ended by a car going 82 miles an hour and they didnโ€™t even put their brakes on so it hit me with full force. The backend of my trailer is damaged and inside there is some damage like the back wall looks like itโ€™s buckled in and pieces of paneling is off and the force of the hit pushed my fifth wheel receiver that was in my slide to the front of the slide back-and-forth. It also pushed my slide out of my trailer about 6 inches. My transmission in the truck does not work and my truck bed almost hits my tires. I am at a campground and I have USAA insurance. I cannot drive the truck or cannot disconnect the truck from the camper. I got a loaner car and went to the doctor and tomorrow the adjuster comes out to check on my truck and camper. Does anybody have any advice that I need to know Before the adjuster comes out to see if my trailer and truck are totaled. Iโ€™m all alone I am a wounded warrior with a brain injury I need some advice please as Iโ€™m lost in this area. Also I must be off the site Monday morning. Thank you
94 REPLIES 94

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Man I feel bad about this. Seems like your ins is jerking you around when they can subrogate everything to the at fault party.
Always hard to tell what's wrong over the Internet, but the trailer seems like it's totaled to me and well, the truck may have escaped major damage easily if it just bent the hitch.

Either way it's in your best interest to get ahold of an attorney yesterday IMO as you're halfway down the road to receiving a halfway fixed camper back.
And the more they do to the camper, the more that's invested in it for repairs and harder to get a total vs repair.
Good luck buddy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
Kennydean wrote:
Can a lawyer help with getting a trailer totaled?

After all this time you still haven't talked to an attorney ? The person that hit you and their insurance are laughing their a#% off that you are letting them tell you what they are going to do to you .

While I may have put it more diplomatically, I couldn't agree more. While I hope they can repair the damage as though it never happened, that is probably the least likely outcome you could experience. I mean no offense, really, but you are letting an adjuster who, most likely, gets a bonus for settling a case for less than the expected amount tell you what is going to happen to your property that his insured damaged. If you will not seek legal advice please stop asking for it here.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Kennydean wrote:

After all this time you still haven't talked to an attorney ? The person that hit you and their insurance are laughing their a#% off that you are letting them tell you what they are going to do to you .

Kennydean
Explorer
Explorer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My free advice.... CONTACT AN ATTORNEY IMMEDIATELY.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Kennydean
Explorer
Explorer
Note from $17,000 adjuster to site $8000 plus I bet more adding the things they left off.

Kennydean
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, yeah a lot has gone on. I have the truck back there are two supplementalโ€™s that didnโ€™t get fixed yet and youโ€™ll give a estimate of $1059 to have the slide hitch repaired. On the trailer they estimated $8000 now to fix it. When they called to tell me that the parts were almost all In and they would let me know when all of them came in I asked her to send me what they were going to work on And fix. After reading what they were going to do. I sent a list of 10 more things that was clear in sight if they looked and if the adjuster wrote what he said he did. The service manager said he would write it up in The supplemental paperwork whatever that means. I did my best to check out what the bluebook was on my trailer. Itโ€™s a cougar fifth wheel 25 RKS and I see it between 17000 and 19000. I wonder what the diminished value is to it. I wonder if they would add the diminished value towards the cost of fixing it? And Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s gonna be more money after they fix the items I told them that needed to be fixed. They said they already ordered the parts so I guess Iโ€™m kind of stuck . Having to have to get it fixed and not trying to get it totaled. Any ideas out there

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
nothing new in the crash? I hope everything is all right with him.
Jay D.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
badsix wrote:
to add to my post above DON'T SIGN anything until you talk to an lawyer.
Jay D.

Also, I would not give a recorded statement over the phone or in person.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
to add to my post above DON'T SIGN anything until you talk to an lawyer.
Jay D.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
You might want to work into the conversation with the adjuster the fact you have GAP insurance and you are upside down. He may take mercy on you (and realize you come out net the same with a low retail settlement as you would with a high retail settlement). That could be a win/win for both you and the insurance company. For the GAP insurance provider, not so much. Be sure to do your research on the GAP insurance before you do anything. You don't want a problem to arise. Anybody out there think this is a bad idea??

Asking for assistance from someone, or some company, whose only purpose is to get rid of the problem as inexpensively as possible seems like desperation to me, and it will most likely be taken as weakness by them. You cannot rely on "The kindness of strangers" in this situation. Why let them use the GAP insurance you paid for to limit their liability? While I see myself as a fair person, and I am certain you see yourself as one also, why should you be concerned with allowing them a win? Their insured rear ended you! Let them take responsibility and resolve the matter to your benefit and approval.

You may also seek the advice of a Private Adjuster in place of an attorney. I would be in my insurance agents office letting them know that I am not happy with their current level of representation and would be asking them to step up to the plate and make certain that I am made whole for my entire loss including, loss of use, full repair or replacement, medical costs and whatever else you have been denied because of the negligence of the at fault driver. One doesn't have to be rude to be made whole, but being assertive is almost always necessary.

BTW, I agree with others who have said the $1000 estimate on the truck seems low. There will, most likely, be issues down the road and you will not want to deal with them when they surface. And neither will any insurance company.
RichH
Not an attorney but been in a few accidents in my life.
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
badsix wrote:
GET A LAWYER NOW! DON'T STALL ANY LONGER! find one that specializes in auto accidents and will handle it on a contingency plan, YOU DON'T PAY ANYTHING, LAWYER COST COME FROM THE SETTELMENT. you shouldn't have a problem at all. the other insurance should be paying all your cost, everything.
PLEASE GET THAT LAWYER NOW! IF your NOT CARFULL your going to get SCREWED.
Jay D.

X100. I had an accident like yours and I did not get an attorney at first and that was a BIG mistake.

This process will take a year and you will be overwhelmed before you know it.

Do exactly what the above statement says and everything will be taken care of.

An attorney will do things that you have not even thought of yet.

PLEASE do not wait any longer!

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
GET A LAWYER NOW! DON'T STALL ANY LONGER! find one that specializes in auto accidents and will handle it on a contingency plan, YOU DON'T PAY ANYTHING, LAWYER COST COME FROM THE SETTELMENT. you shouldn't have a problem at all. the other insurance should be paying all your cost, everything.
PLEASE GET THAT LAWYER NOW! IF your NOT CARFULL your going to get SCREWED.
Jay D.