cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Obsrevations.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last weekend I was a campground where some of the people were without power and using generators.

One person had a Honda 6500 EU (I think) and it was setting in the bed of his pickup. When I walked past it may have been at idle because it didn't seem to be running very fast. But, it was very quiet. Especially so because it was in the bed of his truck and the sound was all being directed upwards.

A second person had a Honda 2000 and it was setting behind his TT. Putting it back there may have been best for making it quiet for him but, I was glad not to be the person setting next to him... Unless,,, he was just using it to charge his batteries during the day and shutting it off at night. If he was that would have been OK

A third person had a generator that was yellow in color. I did not get the brand name because he had it setting way out in the wood next to the swamp with; what seemed like; and 250 foot cord running to his camper. This actually worked because the generator was so far away that it wasn't really bothering anybody. However, I could see some campground where there was no way this would work. He had local license plates on his truck and probably had done this before and knew the drill.

So my, one time, quick, observation would seem to say that putting a big Honda in the bed of your pickup is the way to go. But, I didn't get a chance to talk to that person because he was not around when I knocked on his door.
25 REPLIES 25

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a festival this last weekend where many RVs camped under an elevated interstate. A lot of us were running our generators and A/Cs. I got a good dose of built in Onan generators, and have to say they are not especially loud. I can also attest that my own Champion 3400 sitting in the bed of my truck was just as quiet, maybe quieter while powering my air conditioner. We were sitting 10 feet from it, enjoying casual conversation.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far in 13 years of ownership, our built-in Onan has offered us no grief, however ...

- I run it with a load on it for awhile each month whenever it's in the back yard between trips.

- I use Mobil 1 EP synthetic oil in it.

- I use an E3 spark plug in it.

- I had it's fuel filter changed after owning it 12 years.

- I wipe off it's access cover once a year.

It's been a great generator so far -> quiet too when running - both inside and outside. The DW loves it for it's convenience. I love it too for it's constant low humming sound that doesn't go up and down in pitch or volume as loads on it come and go.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
bobsallyh wrote:
I know one thing, if Honda or Yamahuzie came out with a replacement for our onboard Onan Marquis Gold 7000, this Onan would have the fluids drained out of it and become a boat anchor. Onans are like old women, need so much TLC.

Most Onan issues I read of involve fuel. Ethanol and stale gas seem to be at the route of lots of issues.
My lp Onan has had no issues
Same thing if you use Ethanol or stale gas in a Honda or Yamaha or any other generator for that matter and let it sit.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
bobsallyh wrote:
I know one thing, if Honda or Yamahuzie came out with a replacement for our onboard Onan Marquis Gold 7000, this Onan would have the fluids drained out of it and become a boat anchor. Onans are like old women, need so much TLC.

Most Onan issues I read of involve fuel. Ethanol and stale gas seem to be at the route of lots of issues.
My lp Onan has had no issues
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Honda had a liquid cooled built in RV generator at one time. Was discontinued several years ago.

I have 3 built in Onan's and have had zero issue with any of them. I use zero ethanol gasoline with a can of Seafoam for a stabilizer and cleaner for 20 gallons of gas.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
pnichols wrote:
ependydad wrote:
I can safely say that based on the Internet's calls that the Honda EU2000 is "whisper quiet" that I had lofty expectations. Running full bore to run the A/C, it was obnoxiously loud. Even running 2 of them in parallel was surprisingly louder than I expected.

Now that I've changed rigs, I feel like my built-in Onan 5500 is way quieter.

Right you are regarding Honda inverter generator noise being really irritating whenever one of them is called upon to delivery real non-idle-speed power!

Whenever the inverter Hondas have to power microwaves or air conditioners be prepared for an ear-shock outside your rig. It must be that owners think that their Hondas are quiet because most of the time their owners are using them for relatively low power output?

I'll take my built-in Onan any day over a rev'd up Honda for hour after hour of RV air conditioning power. Properly built-in Onans within their cabinets, and with factory installed resonators, produce a much lower-pitched and non-mechanical sound inside or outside an RV.

Onboard Onan compared to a Honda eu2000?!? Apple to oranges.

... or it could be comparing constant-3600 RPM built-in noise to rev'd-up-4500 RPM out in the open noise. ๐Ÿ˜‰
https://hondanews.com/power-equipment/channels/generators/releases/honda-eu2200i-super-quiet-series-...

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
ependydad wrote:
I can safely say that based on the Internet's calls that the Honda EU2000 is "whisper quiet" that I had lofty expectations. Running full bore to run the A/C, it was obnoxiously loud. Even running 2 of them in parallel was surprisingly louder than I expected.

Right you are regarding Honda inverter generator noise being really irritating whenever one of them is called upon to delivery real non-idle-speed power!

Whenever the inverter Hondas have to power microwaves or air conditioners be prepared for an ear-shock outside your rig. It must be that owners think that their Hondas are quiet because most of the time their owners are using them for relatively low power output?

I'll take my built-in Onan any day over a rev'd up Honda for hour after hour of RV air conditioning power. Properly built-in Onans within their cabinets, and with factory installed resonators, produce a much lower-pitched and non-mechanical sound inside or outside an RV.

Onboard Onan compared to a Honda eu2000?!? Apple to oranges.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
When it comes to genset noise it's all about the ambient noise around you.
At a race track no big deal. At a rally with lots of people around inverter gensets are generally tolerable. Relatively close to civilization where you can still hear the hum of the highway, genset noise is also tolerable.
For camping purposes only inverters gensets should be used.
If you're a deep in the forest away from civilization, where it is totally silent with no ambient sound any genset noise can be annoying and disturbing.
Always consider those around you when running a genset....Don't be that guy!
If you must have A/C consider a CG site with electric.
One's desire to have A/C does not override another's desire to enjoy peace and quiet. Respect the rules, If there are no posted rules simply respect those within earshot of you.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Was any of the three parked in the sun? Solar is great for battery charging.

No, they were all parked in the shade.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One year at Quartsite I and a friend were talking to the either the Honda or Yahama guy (Forget which there is not much difference sound wise)

THe 1000 was running. I could feel the exhaust hitting my leg but in that enviorment (many people talking nearby) I could not hear it

The 2000 also was running. I could hear it but I had to listen. I'm trained to hear "under the noise floor" (Both ham radio operator and police dispatchers need this skill. I'm both) My friend could not hear it. The 3,000 was not running.

THe 2000 at half load Well that he could hear barely but we did not need to raise our voice

The 2000 at full load spoke right up and we had to raise our voice.

Just my observations.. My ONAN at about half load. with Gen-Turi. Standing with hand wrapped around the black pipe.. No need to raise voice (Has been drowned out by a cat purring).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was any of the three parked in the sun? Solar is great for battery charging.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page