cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Maintenance

Beaver_Thunder
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought our first coach and need advice on maintaining the batteries.

Before I ask my questions, here is some history on the coach. When we fist bought it, the chassis batteries weren't being charged via the inverter. The previous owner recently had installed all new batteries and a new Xantrex freedom sw 2012 inverter/converter. He installed a battery fill system on the 4 6 volt batteries via a set of hoses and hand pump. He told me that he had to fill the batteries once a month with distilled water. After looking it over I determined that the Magnum smart battery combiner was installed incorrectly, after correcting it, the inverter is now charging both chassis and house batteries. So now that everything appears to be in working order I need to understand the best way to maintain the batteries when I'm not using the coach.

Is the Xantrex a good battery maintainer or should I be looking into adding a separate battery maintainer? With the inverter in charge mode, coach plugged, batteries are at 13.57 volts.

How often should I need to added distilled water to those batteries?

The rig is a: 2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder with 2 group 31 chassis batteries and 4 6 volt house batteries.

Any tips, advice will be appreciated. Sorry for the long post, thought the info would be relative.

Thank you, Kevin
13 REPLIES 13

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
In four years, I've yet to add water to my batteries. Glad to hear you found the issue with the Xantrex. Very satisfied with mine. Of course, you'll want to check the levels, keep them clean etc. during your regular maintenance, right? But, don't overthink things unless you have an issue. Enjoy the coach and go camping....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Beaver_Thunder
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Beaver Thunder wrote:

My understanding (math), the 2 20Ah 6V in series would make a 12V, 40Ah bank and then when connected in parallel to the same would make a 12V 80Ah bank. The chassis batteries, which have approximately a 160Ah, so do I set the inverter charger battery capacity at 80ah or the combine total of 240AH.

NO.

First, I would be surprised if any 6 VDC batteries were only 20 Ah. Check them again.

But when wired in series 2 20 Ah @ 6 VDC batteries= 1 20 Ah @ 12 VDC battery.

Wire that in parallel with another pair= total battery bank of 40 Ah @ 12 VDC

Yes, your correct, the battery website chart is confusing and I misread it. There's only the model number listed on the batteries. They are Deka, GC10, there's two columns, a 20ah and 5ah, 20ah had 215 listed and 5ah has 157ah listed?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver Thunder wrote:

My understanding (math), the 2 20Ah 6V in series would make a 12V, 40Ah bank and then when connected in parallel to the same would make a 12V 80Ah bank. The chassis batteries, which have approximately a 160Ah, so do I set the inverter charger battery capacity at 80ah or the combine total of 240AH.

NO.

First, I would be surprised if any 6 VDC batteries were only 20 Ah. Check them again.

But when wired in series 2 20 Ah @ 6 VDC batteries= 1 20 Ah @ 12 VDC battery.

Wire that in parallel with another pair= total battery bank of 40 Ah @ 12 VDC
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Beaver_Thunder
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The Xantrex Freedom is a programmable charger If it is set properly (The default should be proper for your batteries) it will do a very good job.

Monthly addition of water (Depends on how much) is Well you should check em monthly but Mine went 4 years before I needed to add. Progressive Dynamics 9180+ wizard.

But if you only need to add a cup or you are in about the same use rate.

So I checked the charger settings and I noticed that the Battery Capacity is set at the default of 250AH. Do I need to add the house batteries and the chassis batteries even though the Xantrex is only hooked up to the house batteries, the chassis batteries are connected via the magnum combiner?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Xantrex Freedom is a programmable charger If it is set properly (The default should be proper for your batteries) it will do a very good job.

Monthly addition of water (Depends on how much) is Well you should check em monthly but Mine went 4 years before I needed to add. Progressive Dynamics 9180+ wizard.

But if you only need to add a cup or you are in about the same use rate.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Beaver_Thunder
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
That's great news! Now adjust the voltage set points for float down, if possible.

If you plan to boondock or want the best life span from the batteries add a modest solar charging system. Your batteries will thank you.

Beaver Thunder wrote:
The Xantrex does have a temp sensor that has been installed correctly.

There's no adjustment in the inverter that I saw in the manual but there is in the magnum combiner, I have no idea what to set it at, any ideas? The coach does have a solar panel and best I can tell it charges but honestly haven't played with it yet (I store under a carport). Thanks for your help.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's great news! Now adjust the voltage set points for float down, if possible.

If you plan to boondock or want the best life span from the batteries add a modest solar charging system. Your batteries will thank you.

Beaver Thunder wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Beaver_Thunder
Explorer
Explorer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The batteries gas if the charging voltage is too high. If possible, add a temperature sensor on the battery bank and connect it to the existing Xantrex freedom.

BTW battery acid doesn't boil until 277 C. If it is that hot, you will have other fish to fry.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The Freedom series of Xantrex inverter do not have a true "float" charging capability. It will boil water out of the batteries and they must be refilled at least monthly. If you're charging the chassis battery with the inverter, I'd watch it too. I connected a small BatteryMinder true float charger to my chassis battery and it never needs water. My 4 coach 6v golf cart batteries take about 1/2 gallon of water every month. There are newer inverters available with true float capabilities. A true float type charger will completely stop charging when the battery is completely charged and wait till it needs a boost before turning back on. Ordinary battery chargers may have 3 stages but they never completely quit charging and boil the water out of the batteries they're attached to.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leave the rig plugged in. If the temp probe is not installed then install one on the house batteries. Be sure the battery/charger cables are correctly sized for the new installation.

Check the water level frequently until you have some history. I wound up checking every 3 months and water every year. Your mileage may vary. And expect storage vs usage variations.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just watch them on a monthly base, your volt reading is in great shape. as time goes on you,ll be checking them every couple months. do the same for the whole rv make a check list, then do it, hoses ,,lights ,belts etc.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a multi stage charger you should be alright. It'll go into float when the batteries are charged. Some new chargers like my MH will actually stop charging all together if needed and turn back on when charging is required. Google your model and see what it says.

We've had Flow Rite battery watering system in our last MH and I installed it in this one too. Yes you fill the batteries by squeezing distilled water from a jug into them. Doesn't use hardly any water at all. Monthly is more than enough. Unless you cycle the batteries often by using the invertor.

But do monitor each individual battery with a volt meter every month to make sure each battery is ok.