cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017+ Powerstroke 6.7 Fuel Filter

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I stumbled across an interesting video where the owner describes his field fix and spare fittings he now carries.

2017 and newer Powerstroke Fuel Filter

For those that owner these newer Fords, is the fuel filter and housing one integrated unit that require removing those three fuel lines to replace the filter?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
50 REPLIES 50

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
Wow i havent been up here for a while, glad to see things havent changed, everyone still flaming each others vehicles....lol

i cant speak for the ram, but i have never had an issue changing fuel filters on either of my ford 6.7's i also dont use 18" pump pliers to remove the little plastic locking clips.

X2 I’ve replaced mine and it’s a non issue. Not a bad design just a bad ham fisted mechanic. There’s a YouTube vid that shows a girl replacing it, maybe this “guy” needed to watch her do it first.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Wow i havent been up here for a while, glad to see things havent changed, everyone still flaming each others vehicles....lol

i cant speak for the ram, but i have never had an issue changing fuel filters on either of my ford 6.7's i also dont use 18" pump pliers to remove the little plastic locking clips.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boy, this one really got hijacked and derailed!!

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go with pre-filling AGAIN. LOL....i can get my filter on through the hole with the cap tool 3/4 full and not spill any. By the way...that is the same amount that is left in it when I take it out.

Also, did you boot connector get messed up from you not re-installing the air intake tube exactly in the proper position?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Others prefer to go through the top.

Yep! Changed mine last week from the top. Magic Creeper was great for getting to drain plug. https://magiccreeper.com/

Chris

How did your boost hose look that you can't see from the side?

For those thru the side guys with their filter cap please be HONEST with the filter FULL of oil (per RAM/Cummins) how did you get it screwed on with one hand and not spill a drop???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I certainly don't have any interest in ordering and stocking spare parts that I will likely never use. I might change the primary filter once in the time I own a truck but it's unlikely I'll ever change the under hood filter.

Remind me never to buy a used vehicle from you!

I own about 20 diesel engines and have for many years A few of the engines I currently run I've owned for over 20 years. I've spent very little on fuel filters in the past 20 years and other than having injectors changed under warranty on an 03 Duramax I cant think of a single injection system component failure. When you've only got one truck to worry about you're not going to save much money skipping filter changes so you may as well change them. For me the math is a little different.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:

Others prefer to go through the top.

Yep! Changed mine last week from the top. Magic Creeper was great for getting to drain plug. https://magiccreeper.com/

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted dup
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
After having done it a couple of times - I find the CTD filter change using the fender cut out access very easy 15 minutes max. A filter cap is a must to keep from making a mess. Easier in opinion than the older CTDs and having to do it from the bottom.

I agree 15 minutes tops. The Genos cap-off tool makes it very easy as you have to pull the filter out sideways between the 2 pipes.

Not a big deal after you've done it a few times. Other prefer to go through the top.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ HAAAAA ^^^^^

YUP that's YELLING. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Well, then don't get mad when people take your words as yelling or disrespectful. Just saying, you might get a little further with people if you didn't talk to them that way. You can do what you want, but they can do what they want in return as well. I will just continue to return disrespect with disrespect. Makes no difference to me.

I have used caps for emphasis for a word or phase for years. No one ever called me out on it. You need to get OVER yourself and realize that CUMMINS12V98 has just as much right to be here as you do! Chris

Never said he doesn't have the right to be here so I am not sure where you are getting that from. Just saying that if he is going to talk to people like that, then expect the same in return. Using all caps, even when emphasizing words, is generally used to talk down to someone because you think that they are not smart enough to know what part of you argument is important which is why it is generally taken as being rude and disrespectful. Again, he can do whatever he wants, I am just saying to not expect for everyone to take it so kindly.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Still amazes me you get away with no filter changes.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
We order 65000 liters of fuel at a time and let it settle in the tank for a day after delivery before pumping it. We seldom see a fuel filter require changing on any of our equipment.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
harmanrk wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I certainly don't have any interest in ordering and stocking spare parts that I will likely never use. I might change the primary filter once in the time I own a truck but it's unlikely I'll ever change the under hood filter.

When you buy the kit, it comes with both filters (You may be able to buy them individually, but I did not see that as an option when I ordered mine), so I don't know why you would not replace them together.

When I bought mine they came in kits as well but I don't change fuel filters unless i feel there is some reason to. So on one truck I changed the primary when I had a problem with the fuel gelling. Changing the primary was enough to get me going again. The other truck had its primary filter changed after putting DEF into the fuel tank. I disconnected the fuel line at the under hood filter and pumped all the fuel out of the truck through the low pressure side. After emptying the tank I changed the primary filter just to be sure I had gotten all the DEF out of the system. So far I haven't come across any need to change the fuel filter on my latest truck..... it only has about 25000 miles on it.

That is surprising you have not had an issue. I have had mine go into limp mode with a plugged fuel filter. I change it when the computer says to and use a GM filter that I have them install, easy enough to do, especially with the filter location on the L5P, but I want it documented. May be wasting some money on an install that I wouldn't have to, but it might pay me back some day.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1