cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion on Resort Fees ?

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am finding some CG's ( aka resorts) that add on a "Resort Fee" on top of their daily rate.
Not sure why they would do that vs just raising the rates, but what are your thoughts when you encounter this situation ?
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
25 REPLIES 25

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even a few state parks do it now. It takes a legislative act to increase fees, so some states have added a "dock fee" or a "day-use" fee to every campsite. SO advertised site say, $20 a night, becomes $26 a night. We would probably stay anyway, but would like a bit of honesty.

We all (campers, RV'ers) understand costs go up sometimes - and the state parks are often jewels and less priority than other budget items - but honesty about the fees should trump an arrival add-on. Just seems sneaky to me, same with the hotels and cell phone service companies. Deception seems to be the rule of the day in a lot of business dealings and advertising.

Price plus tax, should never be price plus tax plus fees. And just because it calls itself a resort does not mean it is one.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
2012Coleman wrote:
My thoughts include - Hhhmmmm, how badly do I want to stay here? If I want to badly enough, I pay the fee, otherwise I look into a state park.

Posting a high nightly fee or highlighting it upon making a reservation...I can decide if it's worth it.

Waiting until I show up with reservations before disclosing it...now you may have me over a barrel with few or bad options (ie: I'm tired after a long drive and there isn't another place with openings nearby). This is where false advertising comes in. It's an intentional attempt to trick you into paying a higher price, knowing most people will have few options once they arrive.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
I thought the Marriott Hotel chain just got fined for doing this.

The advertised a rate then added "resort fees" on checkout - I believe they
have been ordered to reimburse their customers for the "resort fee".

How's this any different?

Marriott was not mentioning the resort fee until the bill was presented at checkout time, at which point you're stuck with it. Every campground I've stayed at the payment was collected up front, which allows the customer to decide in advance if the total cost is acceptable.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
What you do if they are the only one with space available drive another 100 mile? Just pay and shut up.Is not right but what can we do give up camping?The price in some area getting ridiculous high .
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of these "resort" fees myself, either cgs or hotels, but if it's clear upon registration then as others have stated you can just go elsewhere. If it's tacked on after-the-fact then that is indeed fraud. My suggestion would be to just pay with a credit card then dispute it immediately. Second thing to do would be to contact the state's AG and have them investigated for fraud.

I don't think anyone "likes" the extra fees that are tacked on. It is what it is with options of going elsewhere, picking a fight over it or just staying home.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
My understanding is that the resort fee is added for anyone who is not a paying member of the resort, as in they purchased a membership or are owners of a lot in the park.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Not only avoid them to the point of walking out during registering, but post on RV Park Reviews to warn others.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
The advertised a rate then added "resort fees" on checkout - I believe they have been ordered to reimburse their customers for the "resort fee".

The problem sounds like they added it at check out so it was a hidden fee. The fees must be explained upon check-in.

I don't like them just like I don't like fuel surcharges or mandatory options. Just a way to lower the price or weight for advertising purposes. I avoid those places because if they aren't being upfront with the price, I wounder how else the are cheating their customers.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually research the campgrounds pretty well before I make reservations, but occasionally you can get surprised. The "resort fees" that I've encountered are usually per person and usually cover something extra... "free" breakfast, small waterpark or other activities.

If we are getting some value out of it, I usually don't mind it, especially now that I have kids who are old enough to enjoy those activities. However, if its just an overnight stop on the way to a destination, I'm usually looking for a clean, no frills park that is convenient to my route. I'll pay a couple dollars more for a cleaner/safer park, but not exorbitantly so.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
It's kinda like getting an oil change...add on for shop towels, filter disposal and so on. So many buisnesses have these ridiculous add on "fees" you really have to watch!

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
My thoughts include - Hhhmmmm, how badly do I want to stay here? If I want to badly enough, I pay the fee, otherwise I look into a state park.

yep
their rules, rates and policies. if you aren't happy with it, choose another location.

we travel with 4 small dogs. some private campgrounds have a 2 pet max policy. i don't complain about it, i just find somewhere else to stay that doesn't have that policy.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's less of an issue with campgrounds (but growing as the digital world creeps in) but one of the big draws for hotels, is online sites get a commission based on the listed price from the website. If they cut the price by 20%, they cut the website commission by 20%.

But yeah, it's basically false advertising 95% of the time. Enforcing it is harder to do as they bury it in the fine print.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA on Pine Island, FL tacks on a Resort Fee at check in. This is beyond the cost of the site when making the reservation online. We paid it for a couple of years because we were 1200 miles from home and they were the only CG on the island BUT we won't be going back.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)