Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Disconnect load before stopping generator?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Disconnect load before stopping generator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi LittleBill,

I believe the Champion 3400 does shut down loads before spinning down when using the remote.

I know my Yamaha 3000 Sieb has manual switches for the output sockets.

LittleBill wrote:

inverter gens are different then regular, once they can't hold the output, they disconnect, not like a normal generator where the avr trys the entire time the generator is winding down.

* This post was edited 07/12/19 10:53am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

The idea that load must be removed prior to starting/stopping a generator seems to fly in the face of AGS systems used to keep an RV cool (for pets, for example) while the owner is not there.

NO..it doesn't ... think about it

the ATS in the RV does not connect the RV to generator until after the the generator has started running, there is NO load on the RV generator until the ATS closes, then the A/C can come on

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While there is nothing that can be done about a generator running out of fuel, my EMS-HW30C ensures that there is no load when I start the generator. Since my generator has a floating neutral, I unplug the bonding plug before shutting the generator down. Doing that ensures that the EMS-HW30C has removed the load from the generator.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it the end of the world...one time and the generator is toast...no

Is it good practice...no.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the generator a tripped breaker looks like a normal shutdown of load.

There are several factors.. Traditional generators when they are shut down do some funky stuff that in THEORY can damage the loads (I am ordering a new start cap for one A/C today. that may be why) but in truth the danger is slight. Also there is a SLIGHT danger to the genny.

INverter generators when they shut down generall do it HARD (Like a breaker tripping) they just flat shut off.. But here the key phrase is I THINK THAT IS HOW THEY WORK. no guarantee.

But LAWYERS review owner's manuals and the precautions therein before printing.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably written for the one time a generator broke because of sudden shutdown and someone complained and got it replaced.

Now the lawyers ensure that text is there to protect themselves.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learn to be easy on machinery. Shut down the load. Let the machine idle and cool off. This works for truck engines, generators, etc. It is very important with solar controllers to shut them down in the right order for instance. Never disconnect from the battery side with power coming from your solar panels.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

4x4van wrote:

The idea that load must be removed prior to starting/stopping a generator seems to fly in the face of AGS systems used to keep an RV cool (for pets, for example) while the owner is not there.

the ATS in the RV does not connect the RV to generator until after the the generator has started running, there is NO load on the RV generator until the ATS closes, then the A/C can come on

But the AGS does shut down the generator with the A/C load connected, which is the topic.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job 1946
1941 Hudson

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our onboard genny there were a couple of instances where my DW had turned off the genny while under heavy load, as well as started the Onan with a heavy load. Thankfully all was well after those episodes, I subsequently explained the reasoning why those actions can cause damage, although for the most part we always have some nominal load when turning the genny off or on.

After a decade of dutiful service from our Onan, which was overkill most of the time anyways, we decided to purchase a portable inverter genny that could run our RV AC unit while being fuel efficient and less noisy. We picked up a Champion inverter genny with remote start. When using the remote loads do not need to be removed, loads do need to be removed for electric or pull cord start up.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

4x4van wrote:

And when the generator stops?

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Disconnect load before stopping generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS