Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: "Best" RV GPS Nav Systems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> "Best" RV GPS Nav Systems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Garmin Nuvi Nav system' but are interested in an RV oriented Nav System that contains useful lists and info about points of interest, BLM , state and county camp grounds and commercial RV parks as well as road construction ,RV friendly routes, low overhangs, weather, traffic alerts and turn by turn guidance.

Also interested in free and frequent updates. and good support and ease of use for around $300

Looked for a sticky on this but didn't find one. Any advice appreciated.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Border,

If you want to stay below 300$us, you are going to have to catch as good sale. The Garmin and the Rand McNally are both nominal 400.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found doing my research at home of all places I want to see and go to, then using RV Trip Wizard to plan my trip solves the low bridge and best RV route to take. Then I re-create the trip using Google Maps. Then I send it to my phone for navigation on my trip. So far so good and is the easiest solution for me. it also doesn't clutter up my dash.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unrealistic price point IMO. No updates are free and frequent for $300.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

call garmin and see if they will take a trade in on your nuvi (supposedly no longer supported). I have rv 660 and the last update caused some issues. Getting another from garmin who 'warrantied' the current one and are sending the replacement.

Keep the nuvi for a towed vehicle if ya have one, make sure to check the sale site at garmin.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

We have a Garmin Nuvi Nav system' but are interested in an RV oriented Nav System that contains useful lists and info about points of interest, BLM , state and county camp grounds and commercial RV parks as well as road construction ,RV friendly routes, low overhangs, weather, traffic alerts and turn by turn guidance.

Also interested in free and frequent updates. and good support and ease of use for around $300

Looked for a sticky on this but didn't find one. Any advice appreciated.

There are several Garmin "Nuvi" models that are not discontinued and hence still supported by Garmin.

As an example - we RV navigate using a Garmim Nuvi 3550LM. We have around 1/2 million Points of Interest loaded into it and it has plenty of storage memory left for even more. Of course no cellular signal is needed to use our Nuvi to the fullest.

If an RV'er doesn't care to be hooked into the vicious circle of a smartphone dominated life ... and as such doesn't want all their eggs in the cell signal availability basket ... then a high end stand-alone Garmin navigator packed full of all kinds of locations is still a great independent way to go. We can even download (via satellite) audio books into our 3550LM and listen to them through the Garmin when on the open road.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can add many of the POI (point of interest) to your current Garmin by using POI Factory . The POI are updated regularly. It may take some time to use figure out how to use POI Loader. It works very well. One of my favorite POI's is 22,847 NORTH AMERICA CAMPGROUNDS (CSV) By Rivopom. It includes locations and phone numbers for each campground.
You can add all of your interest to the Extra's file in your Garmin.
I had to add a memory card to my Garmin to download all the POI's I added to my 2 560 DEZL Garmins.
6 years ago I bought both of them off Garmin Factory Outlet. Have not had a problem with either one.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

Bob Sue

Farmington,Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, I have a Rand McNally and am having trouble with it. RM doesn't seem to care, and can only suggest common re-sets, or sending in for repairs, at $100. No mention of guarantee. They are very hard to contact by phone, and customer service by E-Mail takes days for a response. I myself will NOT buy another RM, and told them so.

Bob&Sue
2013 Open Range Roamer 5th
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to know about Rand McNally support. I am not "smart" about maintaining and upgrading PC's, getting the most out of smart phones or upgrading nav devices. The Nav system in my Subaru Forester drives me batty. I guess we may have to invest in a Garmin 3550LM or similar. Thanks for the replies.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read over the ad and specs for the Garmin model "RV NA 77 LMT-S", looks good! Price is $300:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-rv-770-lmt-s-gps-with-built-in-bluetooth-black/5746810.p?skuId=5746810&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLPW4O6v4w

Noticed that it and other units need a "compatible" smart phone for full functionality. I finally found a phone number to contact Garmin Support. I asked if my cell phone is compatible and was told that Android 4.4 or above are compatible, mine is 6.0.1. I also found that my cell phone has Bluetooth 4.1 which should also be compatible.

* This post was edited 07/12/19 11:25am by Bordercollie *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> "Best" RV GPS Nav Systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS