cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read the signs....

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Suspect I'll ruffle some feathers...and I suspect this isn't the most correct audience for this post, but for RV'ers in Alaska, please read the road signs.

The ones that seem to get ignored the most are:

- "Keep Right Except to Pass" and
- "Delay of 5 Vehicles or More Must Pull Over"

Just got back from a trip over a good part of the road system (Glenn, Parks, Richardson, Seward highways) and it's pretty frustrating to see RV's going 50 (or so) in the left lane on the nice sections of the Parks and going 40 or so more or less from Girdwood to Anchorage, even on the 4-lane parts and where the speed limit is 65.

The particular RV that I was stuck behind (I estimate I was No. 😎 was holding up about 25 vehicles as best I could tell.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN
28 REPLIES 28

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
What's the old saying, anyone driving slower than me is a moron anyone driving faster than me is an idiot.:B

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree that there are situations where you can't go any faster, and can't get out of the way, but not everyone gets that, was my point about road rage.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
To those who suggest that they "won't jeopardize the safety of others or my family" by trying to find a place to move over to let the waiting traffic pass, you may be doing just that. Consider this, that "road rage" does happen and it's been documented in varying degrees for decades. I would suggest that trying to justify blocking traffic by invoking the safety mantra means nothing to the wrong individual you may be holding up. When trapped behind a slower moving vehicle, I have been known to on occasion utter the phrase, "I don't mind if you want to drive slow, just don't do it in front of me". I'm not about to act upon that premise other than to wait for an opportunity to safely pass, but there are those out there in the real world that may do much more, given the right set of circumstances and conditions.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, no offense to those who have indicated their contrarian positions.

Avoiding the motivation issues, what has historically made the Seward Highway (South from Los Anchorage to about Portage) one of the more dangerous highways is people passing on the 2-lane portions without waiting for either a 3 or 4 lane section or for a good passing area. For me, and I suspect most others, a slow driver going too slow is just a frustration to be dealt with, but because some folks simply don't deal well with that, they attempt to pass, often with tragic consequences on that stretch of highway.

In that stretch mentioned, there are (rough count) about 5-7 identified pull-out spots for slow vehicles ("Delay of 5 or more must pull over") as well as a few more parking/scenic pull outs. I can't expect everyone to drive the speed limit nor would I expect anyone (RV, Semi-, Tow-truck) to pull over if it wasn't safe, but again yesterday, seeing an RV go from Indian to the Weigh Station at what probably averaged 40 (high of 55-60 in the few places with S/L of 65) without taking advantage of the pull-over spots was pretty frustrating to those of us in the group of about 15 behind that vehicle.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, we were stuck behind a minivan going about 40mph on average and whose driver regularly passed by those pull outs you mention. It's not surprising that people get frustrated and make bad decisions, when the person blocking traffic refuses to avail themselves of the obvious means of mitigating that potential for disaster. Try to make better decisions when passing, and follow best practices for doing it safely.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
"Please read the signs" ROFLMAO. People read those?

My favorites.

"All Trucks Left Lane Only" about 500 yds apart for miles in a jersey barrier lined construction zone about 10 miles long. Needed because half of the right lane is now on the former shoulder that can not take the trucks.
Mostly ignored.

In the same construction zone, "Speed Limit 45 - Fines Doubled"

I read those while signs doing 65-70 as I'm getting passed by trucks that are in the right lane doing 80, and the women in little red SUVS doing 90 while they're texting.

Never seen a LEO in that area, or someone pulled over, despite driving it twice a day.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
As I stated before I do my best to get out of the way when it is safe to do so. I will NOT apologize, however, for putting the safety of my family first. If it's not feasible for me to move over I won't. If others drive unsafely to get around me they are not my problem. I will not risk my safety for an idiot. Period. And I shouldn't have to. Does road rage exist? Absolutely. I'll take the chance on that over the guarantee I will injure myself should I pull of.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that people of all ages now days have lost their motivation to be curteous to other people in general. Poor driving habits is just another symptom of that.
I agree that driving too slow is just as dangerous ... if not more dangerous ... than driving too fast.
It seems more and more people are just clueless when it comes to curteous safe driving..... I REALLY do wish there was a way to ticket other drivers.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
To those who suggest that they "won't jeopardize the safety of others or my family" by trying to find a place to move over to let the waiting traffic pass, you may be doing just that. Consider this, that "road rage" does happen and it's been documented in varying degrees for decades. I would suggest that trying to justify blocking traffic by invoking the safety mantra means nothing to the wrong individual you may be holding up. When trapped behind a slower moving vehicle, I have been known to on occasion utter the phrase, "I don't mind if you want to drive slow, just don't do it in front of me". I'm not about to act upon that premise other than to wait for an opportunity to safely pass, but there are those out there in the real world that may do much more, given the right set of circumstances and conditions.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, no offense to those who have indicated their contrarian positions.

Avoiding the motivation issues, what has historically made the Seward Highway (South from Los Anchorage to about Portage) one of the more dangerous highways is people passing on the 2-lane portions without waiting for either a 3 or 4 lane section or for a good passing area. For me, and I suspect most others, a slow driver going too slow is just a frustration to be dealt with, but because some folks simply don't deal well with that, they attempt to pass, often with tragic consequences on that stretch of highway.

In that stretch mentioned, there are (rough count) about 5-7 identified pull-out spots for slow vehicles ("Delay of 5 or more must pull over") as well as a few more parking/scenic pull outs. I can't expect everyone to drive the speed limit nor would I expect anyone (RV, Semi-, Tow-truck) to pull over if it wasn't safe, but again yesterday, seeing an RV go from Indian to the Weigh Station at what probably averaged 40 (high of 55-60 in the few places with S/L of 65) without taking advantage of the pull-over spots was pretty frustrating to those of us in the group of about 15 behind that vehicle.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Two of my biggest pet peeve's are people driving slow in the passing lane and tailgaters who just seem to love to drive as close as they can ... even when there is a huge line of cars and nothing anyone can do about it.
Both of these type drives ... well maybe if they do one they also do the other .... are dangerous.
I have considered a pop up sign for the 2nd type that says the "closer you follow the slower I go."
I don't know any solution for the passing lane driver ..... maybe we could be empowered to ticket another driver if we had video proof of their bad driving.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Both should be observed everywhere, but aren't. I remember my dad teaching me to drive back in 1964 and telling me to pull over and let folks behind you past, AND the left lane is for passing, cruise in the right lane. But clearly not everyone's dad told them these things.

Here on the Left Coast, only the left lane thing is in the law. Still, lots of folks ignore it and cruise slowly in the left lane, especially when contemplating a left turn (never mind, 50 miles up the road). There are times I wish I was a State Trooper and could pull 'em over and educate them a little.
It's the law in Kansas as well and they will ticket left lane loiterers, exception being in a city. I was very happy when this law was passed. I still get peeved when you come across two semis with governors driving side by side for miles on end 10 mph under the speed limit.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
This only applies to 4 lane or more highways. I carry a sign in my car which says

"Drive on the Right - except to Pass
It's the Law"

No, it is not.
In most of the states driving slow on left lanes gets full officials support.
Only few states are making it local laws, or often non-enforced suggestion. I did not vote for it!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
and on occasion on the Alaska Highway in Yukon, RVers travel down the centre line, or swerve to or over the centre line when there is a frost heave marked by flags. But PLEASE, check to ensure a vehicle isn't passing you if you do the lane change. Many times I have had to swerve onto the shoulder to not be hit by an RV when I'm passing it.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quite some years ago I had a custom bumper sticker made just for the tailgaters itching to pass. It reads "NO, I AM NOT IN A HURRY".

In reality I am not the fastest dog on the race track however I am not the slowest either.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
This only applies to 4 lane or more highways. I carry a sign in my car which says

"Drive on the Right - except to Pass
It's the Law"

I slap it up when I drift by on the right of someone cruising in the left lane. My wife hates when I do it.

On another note, when we're in the RV I will always try to move over or let drivers by but I could not agree with Son of Norway more that I will not jeperdize my family or my rig. See you in Alaska in September.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition