Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Please read the signs....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Please read the signs....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suspect I'll ruffle some feathers...and I suspect this isn't the most correct audience for this post, but for RV'ers in Alaska, please read the road signs.

The ones that seem to get ignored the most are:

- "Keep Right Except to Pass" and
- "Delay of 5 Vehicles or More Must Pull Over"

Just got back from a trip over a good part of the road system (Glenn, Parks, Richardson, Seward highways) and it's pretty frustrating to see RV's going 50 (or so) in the left lane on the nice sections of the Parks and going 40 or so more or less from Girdwood to Anchorage, even on the 4-lane parts and where the speed limit is 65.

The particular RV that I was stuck behind (I estimate I was No. 8) was holding up about 25 vehicles as best I could tell.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never going to change without aggressive ticket writing.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Suspect I'll ruffle some feathers...and I suspect this isn't the most correct audience for this post, but for RV'ers in Alaska, please read the road signs.

The ones that seem to get ignored the most are:

- "Keep Right Except to Pass" and
- "Delay of 5 Vehicles or More Must Pull Over"

Just got back from a trip over a good part of the road system (Glenn, Parks, Richardson, Seward highways) and it's pretty frustrating to see RV's going 50 (or so) in the left lane on the nice sections of the Parks and going 40 or so more or less from Girdwood to Anchorage, even on the 4-lane parts and where the speed limit is 65.

The particular RV that I was stuck behind (I estimate I was No. 8) was holding up about 25 vehicles as best I could tell.

It's not just the RVs that are "reading comprehension challenged". 3 years ago, a minivan (with Alaska tags) was traveling towards Anchorage on the Seward and had a posse of upwards of 50 or more cars/trucks/RVs blocked along the 2 lane section from the Whittier cutoff (Portage?) along the entire north shore of the Cook Inlet. I eventually got by, but the rest were stuck enjoying a lovely sub-speed limit stroll.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) N24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this would apply anywhere. We should all be cognizant of the rules of the road regardless of where we are and what we are driving.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both should be observed everywhere, but aren't. I remember my dad teaching me to drive back in 1964 and telling me to pull over and let folks behind you past, AND the left lane is for passing, cruise in the right lane. But clearly not everyone's dad told them these things.

Here on the Left Coast, only the left lane thing is in the law. Still, lots of folks ignore it and cruise slowly in the left lane, especially when contemplating a left turn (never mind, 50 miles up the road). There are times I wish I was a State Trooper and could pull 'em over and educate them a little.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The people that don’t read signs don’t read here either.

I’ll trade you the idiot that pulled into Montana Creek a couple of weeks back in a rental class C and left his ac running on the genset. At 3:00 AM. Now this is a no hookups CG mostly occupied by tenters. They were still sleeping in apparently when we left around 9. With the generator and air on.

I’m surprised the tent campers didn’t stone them. We could close the windows and pretend it was Walmart.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"It's not just the RVs that are "reading comprehension challenged". 3 years ago, a minivan (with Alaska tags) was traveling towards Anchorage on the Seward and had a posse of upwards of 50 or more cars/trucks/RVs blocked along the 2 lane section from the Whittier cutoff (Portage?) along the entire north shore of the Cook Inlet. I eventually got by, but the rest were stuck enjoying a lovely sub-speed limit stroll. "

Agree....over the past 4-5 days (driving in my car, not an RV), I was stuck behind a below-the-speed-limit vehicle 5 times...a couple of them were Jeep Wranglers clearly on the way back from offroading and a couple were RV's...one of the RV's was this morning, hence why I posted it here.

Probably a bit unfair to single out RV's....

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

"It's not just the RVs that are "reading comprehension challenged". 3 years ago, a minivan (with Alaska tags) was traveling towards Anchorage on the Seward and had a posse of upwards of 50 or more cars/trucks/RVs blocked along the 2 lane section from the Whittier cutoff (Portage?) along the entire north shore of the Cook Inlet. I eventually got by, but the rest were stuck enjoying a lovely sub-speed limit stroll. "

Agree....over the past 4-5 days (driving in my car, not an RV), I was stuck behind a below-the-speed-limit vehicle 5 times...a couple of them were Jeep Wranglers clearly on the way back from offroading and a couple were RV's...one of the RV's was this morning, hence why I posted it here.

Probably a bit unfair to single out RV's....

We can single out those Wranglers though! I was behind one doing 30 in a 40 on a very windy 2 lane road a couple nights ago.

Was 2nd out of a dozen backed up vehicles. The one in front of me turned off and I got pole position. Gave the Wrangler a couple high beam flashes. He sped up 3mph then back down.

I assume he was drunk/high

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happens all the time in San Diego, so much so that I've given up and just roll with it. Without fail there will be a motorhome coming home from the desert and 20 vehicles will be stuck behind them for the entire two hour drive since they never pull over. I've gone the gamut from wishing for a highway patrol to wishing for a tow missile launcher, but in the end all you can do is go with it.

Oh, and I could be wrong, but I swear there are more slower traffic keep right signs than there are speed limit signs on the road.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This happens literally everywhere to the point that if some one actually pulled back to the right lane I would be amazed.

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Please read the signs....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS