cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheater adapter to run 50 amp

ceasare
Explorer
Explorer
We are at a campground that only has 30 amp. I tries one of those Chester adapters that have a 30 amp and 15 amp going into a 50 amp. Every time I plugged the 15 amp in it blew the surge protector on the outlet, Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RickLight wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Typically the pedestal has a 30 amp and 20 amp outlets available.
Seldom is there only a 30 amp only outlet, although I have seen a few.
The transfer switch allows you to "cheat" or make use of that additional outlet, to power the 2nd A/C.
It works very well.

Typically they aren't additive. It gets back to how the place is wired, but just because there are outlets doesn't mean you can load them all full at the same time.

I understand your point. I also own an RV Safepower switch. I have used it successfully quite a few times. While I understand it's possible that the wiring will not accommodate the switch. I have yet to be on a 30 amp site where my transfer switch has not worked. So far I am batting a 1000 which is good enough for me.
Those that have not actually used the transfer switch or experienced the benefits of the switch first hand can draw an conclusions they like.
For me so far it's worked 100% of the time.
The switch has changed my camping itinerary and allowed me to use state parks again. Places I had avoided, do to only having 30 amp sites are now back on my agenda. Having the ability to run both AC's on a 30 amp site is a game changer.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
The transfer switch allows you to "cheat" or make use of that additional outlet, to power the 2nd A/C.
It works very well.

Typically they aren't additive. It gets back to how the place is wired, but just because there are outlets doesn't mean you can load them all full at the same time.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
^^what Lantley said.
Most all 30 amp pedestals I have used have 2 breakers- a 30 amp and a 15 or 20 amp. That 45 or 50 amps available. The gfci outlet does not share breakers with the 30 amp outlet. So no laws of physics being broken here.

BTW Lantley that is a much better cheater plug you linked. I have used the one from the OPs post and it is indeed limited to use at the house.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RickLight wrote:
Lantley wrote:
If your trying to take advantage of the additional 20 amp outlet I suggest:
RV safe power transfer switch. Works with GFI outlets

The RVsafepower switch allows me to use both A/C's on 30 amp sites.

Their web site is malfunctioning. But from what I can see I wouldn't dream of using one of those. 2 AC's drawing 10-15A each can run on 30A, assuming you can get them started.

If a pedestal has only 30A of 120V then nothing can get more power. You can cheat the safety margins, overheat the wires, and risk damaging the entire campground system.

There are no techno devices to get around the laws of physics.

It works very well.
Correct Trax,Splendide

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:

Their web site is malfunctioning. But from what I can see I wouldn't dream of using one of those. 2 AC's drawing 10-15A each can run on 30A, assuming you can get them started.

If a pedestal has only 30A of 120V then nothing can get more power. You can cheat the safety margins, overheat the wires, and risk damaging the entire campground system.

There are no techno devices to get around the laws of physics.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you are just trying to connect to a 30 amp circuit use a simple 50 amp to 30 amp adapter.

Correct Trax,Splendide

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The cheaters don't work, especially if there is a GFCI. An energy management system will also fault.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
The cheater does not advertise 50 amps. It simply connects 1 of your legs to the 30 amp and the second leg to a 15 or 20 amp. Obviously not 50/50amp legs as normal, but better than 15/15 off a dog bone. Enough to run 2 air conditioners IME.

Downfall is it trips ANY gfci protected outlet, which is at almost every campsite pedestal. Which is the OPs problem.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah. No matter the wires or the plug, you can't draw 50 amps off a 15 amp circuit. Ain't gonna happen.

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Some campground pedestals have the load side of the 30A breaker connected to the 30A receptacle as well as the line side of the 15A breaker. So a cheater cord won't gain you anything. All the load goes through the 30A breaker anyway.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It depends on how the pedestal is wired. It won't work on a GFCI outlet, for example.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 30A to 50A adapter that works

but I've never used what you tried.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, those cheater adapters don't really work.
2010 Suncruiser